No announcement yet.

Help with TNA? *sobs copiously*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't say they were all on the catalogue. Just those discharged up to 1854. Also, you HAVE to know the regiment for those who left up to 1873, as they are filed by regiment. Only after that are they filed alphabetically for the whole army, so it's not necessary to know the regiment.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Merry

14th Regt looks correct. This is the Bucks Regt? Bletsoe Beds is close to the Northants border, as I have some of mine slipping over the border to Bletsoe. Sounds as though Susannah Maynard may have been underage for father to have stopped marriage twice. There could be some interesting comments in the register about this wedding!! Oh dear it looks as though you also need to go to Beds CRO as well as Kew! Only a sight of the register will tell you whether or not both parties were OTP. If they were not OTP then the register will tell you where they are from. Maybe the father was working for the Oliver St John Family of Bletsoe! It does look like some very interesting FH, but you need the time to get at it! You could try googling 14 Regiment to see if you can find out where Regt was in the 1750's.

Thanks for the home Link to London Gazette. I will look for one of my early ones later.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 28-12-07, 15:59.

Comment

Yes, I imagined Susanna was underage - Robert must have been worth having!! lol

I think a lot of this family were non-conformist, which isn't helping at all :(

I have seen the PR and banns register regarding the wedding. "Forbid by father" was the note in the Kempston register the first time they had the banns read. A similar comment was written by the vicar at St Paul's Bedford at their second attempt. This was where they eventually tied the knot a few months later. It's an assumption this was Susannah's father doing the forbidding, but having read his will I am pretty certain. Susannah's father did offer to pay for the apprenticeships for his grandsons as long as she didn't live with Robert, so he was only anti Robert and not his descendents, which seems fairly liberal for the times!

Aaaagggghhh......I so want to know what happened!! lolol I just looked to see how long I have known of Robert McCreary? 11 years and he's still hiding!

I'm going to see what I can find out about the 14th reg now.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Comment

Susannah was "of Kempston" and Robert was OPT (St Pauls Bedford), but he only needed to have resided there for the three weeks the banns were read :( He may have been born in Ireland of course. Perhaps he was RC? That might not have gone down well!

Comment

Probably not RC as that part of the world is very Cof E in Bedford, with a lot of nonconformist around the borders of Northants and in Northants itself. Kempston is another of my border crossing areas! Please do not wish him to be from Ireland because that is where your problems would really start, believe me! Maybe being a soldier was "beneath" the family? Soldiers were rough/tough/nasty creatures, who did not know their manners and not good enough for Miss Susannah Maynard, even her name sounds classy! Of course her father may have been an officer in a different regiment! Now that would have caused a problem!

I presume you have seen all the Bedford Maynards on the IGI. They are obviously a very old Bedford family, and your Robert was an incomer and an interloper!

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 28-12-07, 17:01.

Comment

Susannah's father was a yeoman farmer on his will, but goodness knows what he did when he was younger? He died within 8 months of writing his will, but he doesn't seem to have been buried anywhere. Nor does his wife (whose name I don't know, but I have her rough date of death....no burial for her either!)

Anyway....I digress! lol

I was only thinking Robert might have been RC if he was from Ireland, not if he was born in Bedfordshire!! I wouldn't mind if he was Irish as I'm not concerned with his ancestry......At least I could imagine he had kissed the Blarney Stone and chatted her up with his soft southern accent!! lololol

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                I presume you have seen all the Bedford Maynards on the IGI. They are obviously a very old Bedford family, and your Robert was an incomer and an interloper!

Janet

Yes, I have (IGI)

Maybe they were there for centuries, but my lot were beamed in from Mars or somewhere! Susanna's grandfather (don't know whether maternal or paternal) lived in Hitchen, Herts.

I don't think living on a county boundary should be allowed :(

Comment

Hm, Hitchen Herts. Thats another place I have found some of my Northants lot. I suppose it is straight down the M1 from Northants and Beds! Maybe just a bit to the left depending which way you are travelling. Oh yes Border County living should not be allowed. I have Rutland/Leicester/Hunts/Beds and Bucks to think about besides Northants and my lot disappear about 1633 and to/from which county??

If you can get hold of a 1600+Ogilvie map for this area you will find how interesting the route would have looked. I know they have them in the British Library and have seen them in Secondhand book shops. worth asking if you have any 2 nd hand bookshops near you. i have one for the Oundle area, copy that is not original.

Sorry to have deprived you of your possible Irish ancestors but I can only get mine back to 1798 and that is where the church registers finish in Tipperary!

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 28-12-07, 19:13.

Comment

I didn't realise the M1 had been around so long!!!

Comment

Ah, I remember the M1 being built! Those were the days. It was so quiet back then on the roads! No, the Ogilvie maps are something to see and worth looking for sometime. Can't remember the exact date but I think they are about 1670ish. Google and see what comes up.

Do you know I have just googled and can't find it. Now that's bugging me! That's the first time that google has let me down! I have a copy of one that goes from Oundle in Northants South to Molesworth in Hunts, taking in all my villages of interest. A modern map has you wondering how they wandered from village to village but this Ogilvie map makes you realise just how easy it was. If I find more info I will come back!

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 28-12-07, 20:41.

Comment

Erm, I live in Hitchin! It was a coach staging post in the old days when folk travelled by horse. Then, when the railway was built, Hitchin was a junction for folk travelling to Bedford and on to Leicester (this railway has been dismantled) and is still a stop on the way to Cambridge and Peterborough and further north.

The route connecting London and Bedford via Hitchin is very old and established.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Little Nell

Oh yes, Hitchin was oops is an old, very interesting place, pardon my flippant remarks earlier! What you say has always intrigued as many of my ancestors trod south from Peterborough to Molesworth in Hunts and on through places like Kempston and through to Hitchin and when I moved to the other more S end of Herts many moons ago now, I remember thinking that i had no Herts connections!! How wrong I was. Better get the spelling right this time but the old late 1600 Ogilvy maps are very interesting as they link these places in very nicely and I am now trying to get hold of one from Molesworth going south to Hitchin.

On another note is it you that is interested in a John Chown widower from Burford Oxon which marriage took place in 1811?

Janet

Comment

Maybe I could move in with you for a while, Nell? I think two years might be enough......

I really must get out a decent map and study where all these places are that my rellies moved between in your area.

Comment

I cannot offhand remember what it was called, but I remember seeing a prog on TV showing one of the earliest road maps.

It was my kind of map - all in a straight line, with various landmarks to encourage you. It was easy to see from that why a certain route had originally been chosen as being the easiest and best route between two (then) important places.

OC

Comment

OC

That sounds just like the Ogilvy maps, straight lines with offshoots and things like arable land written. They are wonderful maps to see. I know there is a book about them in the British Library because that is where I found the one I was interested in. It fascinated me.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                X