Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burials and Headstones Question

Two questions;

#1 Is it common to find folks named on a stone who are buried elsewhere?

I haven't been able to locate some of the names on the stone pictured in the cemetery register and their death refs are for a district some 20 miles away. Infact as far as i can tell none of the family ever really lived in the city where the cemetery is located.

#2 I have another headstone photograph, details of the monumental inscription etc but there are only references to 2 names in the plot. The cemetery register shows a third name but there is nothing on the stone. Two burials are pre 1900 and the third(?) is in 1943. Is an addition to an existing grave remaining unmarked common?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

My Grandfather died at sea,but his name is on a family headstone,so yes it is possible.
    Fran

Comment

We have a family memorial on a plot in Melbourne which names 23 people, not all buried in that plot, of course. It's got names everywhere !!

Also at Rookwood, OH's great-great grandma is buried with her second husband (her third was still alive), with no mention on the husbands headstone.

People did all sorts of odd things.

Diane
      Last edited by dicole; 27-12-07, 20:01. Reason: I wish I could post the photo !!
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I have a rellie who died and was buried in Tasmania in the 1890's, but he is on his parents headstone in Cambridgeshire.

My aunt is buried in the local cemetery and has a headstone. Her parents are both commemorated on it, but they were cremeted in different counties. One day my mum's ashes will be buried at the same spot and when that happens her name will be added to the stone along with my father's name, though he was cremated elsewhere.

Comment

My Great Gran is buried at the cemetary local to where she was living when she died.
          Her husband is also on the headstone as being buried in the same grave but he was buried elsewhere.

Allie
          Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

I've just posted on this very subject, my gg grandparents grave in Epworth Lincs has thier granddaughter on, she died in Flushing, New York and is buried there, though it say so on the stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              I've just posted on this very subject, my gg grandparents grave in Epworth Lincs has thier granddaughter on, she died in Flushing, New York and is buried there, though it say so on the stone.
              Your thread prompted mine :D:D

I have spent a few days trawling through some burial records online after spending hours lookng through the Monumental Inscriptions in Lincoln library. I have had more success online but then again i suppose that the date the MI's were created (and lack of headstones in some cases) means the registers will always be more worthwhile.

One thing to note;

The plot numbers quoted on the MI lists do not tally with the cemetery registers, they use a similiar system (eg A105, C397 etc) but the FHS decided that "A" was here and "B" was there regardless of the original layout.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
              X