Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reinforcements New Zealand Expeditionary Force

If your ancestor worked as a collier in this country it is most likely that he would have been on the West Coast of the South Island as this is the major coal mining area. (West Coast is the name of the region, also refered to as the Coast!) Coal was also shipped out of the Port of Lyttleton which would be very close to the Sydenham area of Christchurch. I actually lived in that area for many years, but for the life of me, can't place the cemetery!

I have looked on the Telecom White pages and there are a number of Piners on the Coast, and a couple in Christchurch. It would be likely that West Coasters would settle in Christchurch, the nearest major city. I have found some references to earlier Piner families in this country, so they may not all be yours! I note that there are a number in Rununga, we have friends there so could ask them if they know any of these people, if you think that would be helpful. (Rununga is a small town, and you would be surprised at just who knows who!)

White PagesĀ® Home Page

Researching the other side of the world can be difficult, although we are lucky in that so many UK records are on line. There is very little NZ information available that way. Some times it is easier to find out about family in the UK than it is here. There are no census records available for New Zealand, for instance.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Richard died after discharge from the NZEF from wounds inflicted or disease contracted while on active service.

Have a look here:
    Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph Database#

I had hoped that there might be a photo for you, but there isn't.

Blog Entries
    Chris and Lyn,

Looks like you are this sites New Zealand connection! I can't believe how much there on the internet and how much you found out, and all to do with a distant ancestor of mine.

I am in semi-contact with One person In New Zealand. They have been very good at supplying a few names and whereabouts of a few connected ancestors, and after more than 5 years of having these names I thought I'd delve a bit deeper, and you've both done me proud.

The named next of kin for Richard is someone I knew about, however its also strange that on the Commonwealth Graves site it states he had a wife called Jean.

Anyway, many thanks again.
    Dave
    David

I
    Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

There are actually 3 Piner lads listed on the site g for WW1....had you noticed?