NBI is it worth buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBI is it worth buying

I have some money left over from Christmas, and was wondering if the NBI would be a good buy, but I want to know what areas and dates does it cover and where the best place to buy from please.

Hope you all had a great day yesterday and santa brought you all what you wanted

Chrissy xxxx
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

This link shows where it covers.
    FFHS - Projects - NBI coverage
    It is good for some areas & rubbish for others. I've managed to get a burials index, for North Lincs, which covers a lot of areas that I need.
    Lynn

Comment

I know Elaine...Spain has BIVRI discs, rom what i can tell there are gaps in the NBI discs, i know that one or two of my lot are missing from the NBI but included on the familyhistoryonline website. I know these rellies are all in one cemetery so it is frustrating to find that two sources of info are needed without any gaurantee.

To see the current databases available at familyhistory online see – Family History Online

As an example, the following info is from the site, the first shows details from the NBI, the second from the Lincolnshire Cemetery Register, both refer to the same person, each search was free but the results are pay per view (6 pence each in this case).

John Cheetham GOULSON Date 11 Sep 1923 Aged 60 Place Lincoln Description Canwick Road Cemetery

John Cheetham Goulson Abode Wellington St,St Faith Buried 11/09/1923 Age 60 Cemetery Lincoln, Canwick Road Plot Y19
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

NBI is free to search on computers at FRC (and presumably at Kew when it moves) as well as LDS family history centers. It's also available on a pay-per-vew (minimum credits £5) on the FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia site.

I guess it depends how well it covers the area(s) of interest to you and how much you are likely to use it.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Lynn, will go and have a look

Sorry didnt see the rest of you there, thanks for the advice
          Last edited by Chrissy Confused; 26-12-07, 13:49.

Comment

Isn't it on FindMyPast now??

Erm....Glen......bit confused by your post.....did you mean BIVRI? That doesn't have any burials....I don't think?!

In answer to your Q Chrissy......I have the NBI version 2. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't buy it now as the online stuff is both easier to search and likely to cost you less (unless you happen to have a lot of rellies in the right places - which I don't!)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

Erm....Glen......bit confused by your post.....did you mean BIVRI? That doesn't have any burials....I don't think?!
              Re Glen's post - I have the BIVRI and NBI!
              Elaine

Comment

Chrissy, the Worcester history centre has the disc, which you can look at on their computers. I had a brief look while I was last there. A couple of 'my Wiltshire villages' were well covered but for others nothing at all. You might get all you need from booking a computer for a few hours and save some money
                Sue

Comment

NBI is now on findmypast but also still on old familyhistoryonline site

So there are possibilities for searching on either at the moment.

Wouldn't it be fab if death certs had to state where the person was going to be buried?
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The BIVRI does not have any deaths. I have both the BIVRI and the NBI and I can honestly say that I do not find much use for the NBI as I haven't found much on there for my ancestors.
                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

DH gave me the NBI earlier this year but it is woefully lacking in Hampshire info so I haven't found it much use .......yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldine View Post
                        DH gave me the NBI earlier this year but it is woefully lacking in Hampshire info so I haven't found it much use .......yet.
                        Geraldine.....that's because the people who produced the Hampshire Burial Index (up to 1837 and supposedly inc all parishes excluding the IoW) didn't want to lose revenue by handing over their hard work to the NBI people.

The Hants Burial Index has been very useful in my research.

Comment

The NBI is useful for some counties and not of much use for others. There used to be a site where you could browse to find out the coverage of various counties. As I happen to have a copy of the NBI to hand I will copy out the coverage as follows: The number is in thousands eg Beds 356 means Beds 356 thousand.

Beds 356 Berks 35 Brecon 5 Bucks 83 Cambs 205
                          Cardigan 108 Cheshire 399 Cornwall 111 Cumberland 56
                          Derbyshire 82 Devon 4 Dorset 286 Durham 416
                          Essex 508 Glamorgan 36 Gloucshire 170
                          Hants 12 Herefordshire 68 Hunts 210 Isle of Man 7
                          Kent 205 Lancs 169 Leics 329 Lincs 711
                          London City 134
                          M'Sex 15 Monmouth 9 Mongomeryshire 1 Norfolk 105
                          Northants 197 Northumberland 198 Notts 281 Oxon 223
                          Radnor 11 Rutland 19 Shropshire 168 Suffolk 836
                          Surrey 370 Sussex 315 Warks 504 Westmorland 6
                          Wilts 224 Worcs 542 York City and Ainsty 34
                          Yorks E Riding 40 Yorks N Riding 386 Yorks W Riding 1706

Merry,

For my OH researching Hampshire ancestors, how did you get hold of the Hants Burial Index?

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 28-12-07, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                            The NBI is useful for some counties and not of much use for others. There used to be a site where you could browse to find out the coverage of various counties.
                            This is the website
                            FFHS - Projects - NBI coverage

- click on the blue county names and you will see the parishes and times periods covered.
                            Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

I see that Lyn had also posted this site on page 1! Must be too much Christmas pudding has addled my brain!! Ah well I have written it out now but yes the website has done it so much easier!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                Merry,

For my OH researching Hampshire ancestors, how did you get hold of the Hants Burial Index?

Janet
                                Erm.........*digs in drawer*

It's produced by the Hampshire Genealogical Society (Hampshire Burial Index 1400-1837)

I think I bought it via Genfair:

GENfair - Search

enter: hampshire burial index
                                It's £20 plus p+p

Comment

Merry,

Groan groan! He belongs to the Hants Family History Society!! Why did he not know that??? Thank you. I have enough to do with my own Family History without having to run behind OH all the time. Seriously thanks for that. Might get him an early birthday present.

Janet

Comment

lol! Men, eh?!

Comment

Wouldn't it be fab if death certs had to state where the person was going to be buried?
                                      Australian ones do just that.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your in put, I now need to put my thinking cap on as to what to spend my Christmas money on, I want to spend it on something to do with genealogy but have no idea what!!!!!

Can anyone help?

Comment

Working...
                                        X