No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what these are for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure, but i'd go for something to do with Collars (maybe to crease in the wingtip), they don't look long enough for any other type of material.

I don't think they are for hair because of the right angle......... I thought crimpers and curlers had rounded edges and were designed to be heated, yours look too decrotive for that.

I could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.......

try popping into your local auction house in the new year and asking them, worth a try
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

first ones look like grape scissers my employer has some simular brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        Having just been googling I dont think they are glove stretchers now...have a look.

no cant be as merries has a point on the end of one,brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
          first ones look like grape scissers my employer has some simular brenda xxx
          Blimey bren!!

What does everyone else think?? Why do they need to be that shape?
          Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 20:46.

Comment

Please don't liken me to your employer though bren!!! pmsl!

Comment

I've looked at a load more pics now and I'm convinced I am the proud owner of a pair of grape scissors! lolol

Can anyone explain why they need to be that shape?

Comment

So do you cut the grapes or the stalks with them? I hope to see pictures of Merry demonstrating how to use them...
                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Pippa, I think you genteelly cut a small bunch from the large bunch on your table, as a personal serving!

No wonder no one on this site knew what they were!! (well except bren)

Comment

you cut peitite bunches for your guest brenda xxx

Comment

have you seen candle snuffers too and a lot more gadgets lol brenda xxx

Comment

I expect the owners were also impressing their guests with grapes from their own hothouses.

Comment

could they be for crimping the hair? 1920s--marcel wave?
                          just a thought,
                          Chris.

Comment

oopps! just read other threads who suggested hair crimpers!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                              I expect the owners were also impressing their guests with grapes from their own hothouses.

I'm not sure they were grand enough for that.

The rellies this came from suffered what I like to call "genteel poverty". Hubby died aged 30 in 1855 and the money he left - about £500 - had to keep his widow for 40 years and two spinster daughters for over 80 years!! They all considered themselves too grand to work but the money wasn't enough to keep them. They used to send begging letters to my grandfather and if he sent them some money they would send a box of Victoriana, which, at the time, my grandparents would moan about!

Comment

*stunned*

Merry, you remember him moaning then? pre-1935?

*adds Merry's face cream to Santa list*
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

pmsl!

My mum tells me he moaned (well, my gran moaned......it was her speciality!)

Comment

When i first saw them i thought candle wick sissors ??

Comment

I am pretty sure i am right, hence the 90% angle.

Comment

Grape scissors, absolutely and definitely.

They fit perfectly with genteel poverty, along with table crumb brushes, moustache cups and egg coddlers.

They are a sign that you know what's what, in the table manners department (grape scissors, not moustache cups).

The Lady of the House would arm herself with them and go into the hothouse, where she would ask Grubbins the Head Gardener, which grapes were ready. He would point them out and Madame would gently snip them from the vine.

The scissors would be polished up for the table of course, and at a grand banquet, every fourth table setting would have grape scissors laid at the cheese course.

(See, I knew my waitressing at the Strand Palace Hotel would pay off some day!)

Um....I also have some grape scissors AND some glove stretchers AND some goffering scissors.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Um....I also have some grape scissors AND some glove stretchers AND some goffering scissors.

OC

Good grief OC!! Never imagined you being a frilly sort of person!!! LOL! :D

Comment

Working...
                                          X