Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian electoral rolls - what a swiz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian electoral rolls - what a swiz!

I've been using the Australian electoral rolls and Sands Directories on Ancestry practically non-stop since they came out, and today I find they're no longer accessible unless you have a World subscription

I don't think I can really justify that as I don't have anyone in the USA, only the UK and Australia.

What a pity, it was a really excellent resource.

I hadn't realised they were planning to remove them like that - tho' I was surprised that they had been accessible on just a UK sub.

Disappointing!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's not fair. There's very little Australian info on Ancestry and most Australians have their roots in UK so get a UK sub. My lot have been here since 1788 and I only have a UK sub. Quite frankly I cannot afford a World sub, and if even if they are moving all the Aussie info there, I still won't get the World one. Neither will I renew my UK sub.

Maybe I'll email Ancestry and see what's going on.

Comment

It would seem reasonable to have an intermediate sub - say UK+, with one or two extra countries. But I suppose people would subscribe to that and then want to switch second countries once they'd "harvested" all they could from the first one they'd subscribed to!

Chrisitne
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I'm sure an intermediate sub between UK and World would be ideal for a lot of people. As Libby says, the present situation is very unfair on Australians.

You can still partially access the electoral roll and Sands - the names are still there, you just don't get the full details and the image, a bit like the US censuses.

This means it is still useful to a limited extent, at least to find out which State your people were in.

Comment

Not sure if it would work Mary, but have you tried the AU site. When i had a AU sub a couple of months ago, i could access the UK site for lots of areas.
            Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
            Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
            Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

No, I've just tried it - unfortunately it doesn't work.

Comment

Thats a shame, i only took out a months AU sub because it worked out cheaper than the UK one.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

What's the point of them having an Australian sub if you can't access Australian records??

Comment

I didn't even know there was one. What's it supposed to include?

Comment

I will also be sending Ancestry a letter.Totally unfair as there is so little on line for Australia and i do not have any American lines to follow so do not want to subscribe for the world ancestry.

Comment

Just in case anyone's interested they've reduced the price of the World sub for existing subscribers - if I remember rightly it's come down from £199 to £149. I still think it's too much, though.

Comment

don't know if it will help but they are offering a 14 day free trial to all Ancestry.com.au collections

Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records online - Ancestry.com.au
                          Vikki -
                          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            I didn't even know there was one. What's it supposed to include?
                            Sorry Mary, I`ve only just found this again, it gives you the UK heritage collection for $19-95 against about $24 with the exchange rate if you go through the UK site

Sylvia
                            Sylvia

Comment

Maybe Ancestry needs to go along the lines of say, Sky.

You get a basic package (such as the English census etc) then you can have any one additional collection for say, £20 per year. Any two additional different collections for £30 and so on.

Then each year you could pick and choose your combination - I'm sure with today's technology it should be feasible to do.

Comment

I wrote to Ancestry about this.

They first replied to say that I'd have to get the World sub if I wanted access to the Australian electoral rolls and Sands as well as the UK censuses. I asked if they couldn't offer an in-between solution that included just the UK and Australian databases, and they've just sent this reply:

I will pass your request onto Marketing regarding the option for membership. When your membership in May is up you can cancel the UK Deluxe and sign up for the Australian Deluxe and that will give you access to both sites.

I've written back to ask them what the Australian Deluxe sub includes, and how much it currently costs. Has anyone else heard of it? I tried logging out and going to ancestry.com.au, but it only offers World Heritage membership.

Comment

The £50 off the Annual World Membership is an offer which only lasts until the 28th Feb 2008 (don't know why it's not the 29th!) and doesn't apply to people who already have an annual world membership.

I tried to view an Australian electoral roll entry to see what it would suggest I upgrade to, but confusingly, it asked me to upgrade to UK membership! I had a little panic wondering if my sub had lapsed, but it says it's still running, so I think they may be in a bit of a muddle about the Aussie stuff.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I tried to view an Australian electoral roll entry to see what it would suggest I upgrade to, but confusingly, it asked me to upgrade to UK membership!
                                    That happened to me as well. I tried 2 or 3 times - sometimes it told me I had to upgrade to World membership, and sometimes to UK, which I already have.

Anyway, Ancestry have now replied, as follows:

The annual cost for the Australian Deluxe (UK Heritage Collection) cost $149.95 Australian Dollars. This gives you access to the AU and UK sites.

That works out at £66.68, which sounds reasonable.

Does anyone else have that subscription, and does it include full access to the electoral rolls and Sands?

Comment

At that price, it's cheaper than basic UK membership!

Christine

Comment

Well, they renewed mine last year for £55, but I know the current UK rate is a good bit more. I wonder if it depends which country you're in? They presumably know I'm not in Australia, though, because they quoted the date when my current subscription expires, so they would have seen that I paid in euros.

Comment

Working...
                                        X