Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian electoral rolls - what a swiz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it shouldn't matter where you are living. I know someone on this site, can't think who, has ancestry.com and live in England and I know aussies who have .co.uk. If you log on to a particular site ie .com or .co.uk or .com.au you should see what they have on offer.

Mary try this link for .com.au:
    Enable Cookies - Ancestry.com.au

To simplify matters:
    ancestry.com.au offers:
    UK Heritage for $149.95
    World Heritage for $449.95

ancestry.co.uk offers:
    UK Membership for 79.95
    World Membership for 149.95
    Kit

Comment

Kit.....I only have the UK sub. When I first got it, I thought there was only two ...UK or World. I couldn't afford World and emailed Ancetsry who told me to get the UK one as it had all the Australian records as well. That was two years ago.

I can't even find the difference between the UK and UK Heritage.

Comment

Libby I had UK myself but let it cancel as I wasn't using it. (Don't tell OC I was going to give it to her except she got her own the day before. lol) You're right I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Now however it apparently does make a difference. It seems that the aussie version has all of UK and the australian content and UK now only has uk stuff.

As the 2 countries are intertwined it seems silly to me to split it like this. UK Heritage seems to way to go at the moment.
        Kit

Comment

Thanks, Kit. I'll have to think before I pay again in July.

Comment

me too, libby I will be re-thinking my sub AND my query I sent on Friday has disappeared so I cannot check on it - will just have to send another one !!.

I just tried to use ancestry.com.au without logging in - if I want to get UK census information I have to upgrade to UK Heritage, if I want the Sands Directory, I have to have World Heritage. The Australian Dictionary of Biography does not show on the home page of Ancestry.com.au, so I don't know which sub I need for it (iknow, its free elswhere, but I wanted to see what would happen !!)

No idea what they are doing and won't be renewing, I think.

Diane
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Diane..........from what I can work out...............everyone has different records they can access, or different replies to questions????????????

Comment

Here's the latest reply from Ancestry, which seems to clarify the situation:

The reason you do not see the UK Heritage is because you already have an active annual membership. You are only going to see subscriptions for an upgrade which the UK Heritage is not an upgrade. Yes you can take out the Australian sub when your membership ends in May.

Comment

They have a strange definition of upgrade, don't they? I would have thought that if you changed to a sub which allowed you to access more stuff, it would be an upgrade! When I look to see what upgrades are available for me, it usually tells me that the normal UK membership would be an upgrade for me because at the moment I pay quarterly and I could switch to annual payments!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think upgrades mean more money and that the UK and UK heritage are mean to be equivalent in price. So to them it isn't an upgrade.
                    Kit

Comment

Hi

I just received an answer from ancestry about the error messages "operation aborted" - he suggested the page which describes deleting all the temporary internet files and cookies. So I obediently deleted all of them.

Am I surprised it did not change anything ?

Diane
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

That's strange - I've never had that message before. Which browser are you using?

Comment

Hi Mary

I use IE7, but this is the only time I get this message, in a grey box in the middle of the screen. If I click on OK, it says goes to the usual "Website not found" page. It does not really explain what is happening.

I have another query into with Ancestry, so I should get a response (next week, whenI am away on hols, Murphy's law says)

Diane
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

Australian records (from inside Australia) are relatilvely easy to access because it was a colony and everything was documented somewhere. NSW was until 1901 all of eastern Australia. Freemantle and Perth were ports in the west with many shipping records. Only south austrtalia is al ittle tricky because it was a free settlers colony.

Comment

You should see the bureaucracy of the Colonial Secretary's Dept, the depth of records kept by them is amazing !!

I found letters relating to the employment of OH's g-g-g-grandma and her husband in the Immigration Depot - dates, amount paid, rations allowed. Even where they went after they left the Depot.

The whole place was run by bureaucrats from Day One - they had to keep track of all those pesky convicts. If someone worked for the government, there will be records !!

Diane
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                              X