Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian electoral rolls - what a swiz!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried to cantact Ancestry here in Australia since this thread started, with no answers. I've been to Ancestry.com.au and my user name pops up as though I belong to that one. If I try to access the Aus. electoral rolls, I get a pop up saying I have to join World deluxe. It gives me the current price $450 and also tells me I'd get a refund of 34 pounds from my UK sub.

I just think it's rude to take records off. My friend joined the UK Ancestry just for the Australian records and the day after her free trial ended (so the money had been taken out of her account) they took the electoral rolls away.

I'm madly saving every record I can find so that I don't have to stay there after my sub runs out.

Comment

I don't know about rude, but it does seem a bit devious - or less than open - misleading?

I've just tried looking at the NY Passenger Lists and got a "sign up for UK Membership" notice - fine, but that's the membership I already have! I've sent them a message to find out what's going on.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't know about rude, but it does seem a bit devious - or less than open - misleading?
        Yes, I think you're right - they whet your appetite with some really useful records, then force you to pay through the nose for them.

The price they've offered me seems surprisingly reasonable, though - as these are new records, I don't mind paying a bit extra for them, I just don't want to be forced into getting the World sub which is no use to me because I have no US ancestors (apart from a couple who spent a few years there).

I told them when I asked about the Australian records that I was in touch with other Australian researchers on a genealogy forum, and that I'd post their answer so that other people didn't need to contact them separately.

However, as their pricing policy is so "flexible", it looks as though that may be necessary.

In my last message, I asked what it'd cost to upgrade immediately, paying the difference between now and the end of May when my current sub runs out, because I've found those records so incredibly useful - not quite as good as the UK censuses, but certainly the next best thing.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-01-08, 21:40.

Comment

I've tried to cantact Ancestry here in Australia since this thread started, with no answers.
          How did you contact them? I went through Help - Email Ancestry Support. I got the first reply after a couple of days, but the replies to follow-up queries have been quicker.

Comment

Mary the $149.95 price is the price offerred to Australians. I just did a search though and it told me to upgrade to World Heritage which is $449.95. So the cheaper price wont get the records you need. It is rude to change it and not announce the change.
            Kit

Comment

I just tried a the other searches on ancestry.com.au and a lot of them require world membership. What a rip off. :(:( Basically only the first, second, third and other fleet info is on the cheaper membership. All other Australian documents are on world membership. They will not get many aussies with that price. :(
              Kit

Comment

I noticed that Kit. I couldn't find any Australian part of Ancestry that gave you the electoral rolls.

The convicts lists are really available at a lot of other sites, so it's not worth paying for them. My 4 x great grandparents are first and second fleeters and they are not on Ancestry!!! My 3 x great grandfather was also a convict who came in 1797 and he's there, but he's also quite famous so whether that makes a difference??

Comment

This is really strange.

Ancestry just wrote back today, to say:

When you go onto the site Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records online - Ancestry.com.au you will find the membership under UK Heritage for the amount of 149.95.

So you're all saying that you already have the UK Heritage sub from the Australian site but it doesn't give you access to the electoral rolls and Sands? If that's the case, I'll ask them to clarify the situation.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-01-08, 15:27.

Comment

Mary...............I've tried that one. Still wants me to pay AU$449.95 to see the records.

Comment

Hi

I don't get an upgrade message - I just keep getting "operation aborted" messages - so I have emailed ancestry with a technical assistance query.

When I try to access the Australian Dictionary of Biography, I get a page asking me to upgrade to UK membership, which I already have......

Di
                      Last edited by dicole; 03-01-08, 20:53.
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

OK, I'll go back to Ancestry and see if I can get some clarificatoin.

Comment

Mary I don't have an ancestry sub at the moment. I just went to .com.au and searched to see where it would tell me to subscribe to. I emailed them and complained and the response was:

The new Astralian membership will give you access to all Australian and U.K records. For more details, please give us a call.
                          That suggests it should be available for $149.95. I haven't called them to actually subscribe yet.
                          Kit

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                            Hi

I don't get an upgrade message - I just keep getting "operation aborted" messages - so I have emailed ancestry with a technical assistance query.

When I try to access the Australian Dictionary of Biography, I get a page asking me to upgrade to UK membership, which I already have......

Di
                            Di, the Australian Dictionary of Biography is available online without Ancestry.

Comment

OK, this is the last message from Ancestry, after I told them that other Australians were having trouble getting access to the electoral rolls:

The UK Heritage Collection which is found on the AU site give them access to information on that site which include the Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936. Like I mention earlier if you have the UK Deluxe membership you do not have this access anymore. If you like you can speak to a customer support agent at 1.800.251.838 from T - Sat 7:00 AM to 1 PM AEST.

Can I suggest that anyone having trouble tries ringing that number?

I can't test out the sub myself yet, because they've told me that I can't change until mine ends in May, and I'll have to use PPV in the meantime (grrr...)

Comment

Hi Rebs

Thanks, yes I know the ADB is freely available, and have used it. I want to know from ancestry why I am being asked to take a UK sub for it, when I am already logged in to the UK site !!!

No answer yet !!
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia
                                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

So there is a membership called UK Heritage, which is only available on the Australian site, is that right?
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is what they're saying, yes. But if I go to ancestry . com . au, it only offers me the World Heritage sub. No idea if that's because I'm not actually in Australia.

Comment

Mary, when I go to ancestry.com.au it offers me the 14 day free trial to UK Heritage Collection so that must be limited to Oz.

Comment

I shall be cross if that's the case - what are Australians living abroad supposed to do?

They've already told me I can have it, but I don't know if they checked on my account to see where I'm living.

Comment

When I go to ancestry.com.au I get the search page similar to ancetsry.co.uk but it only has Australian records.

When I search anything, I cannot get past the results ...............Up pops the ancestry world deulxe with the sub details.

I have Ancestry.co.uk sub. I have no idea if it's a "heritage" sub or not. It was the only one when I joined (I think) and I just pay each year.

I've tried the email option to contact them and got nothing back.

Comment

Working...
                                          X