Thread: Navy help please

Navy help please

Anyone know any good sites for navy research, 1942 - 1955 period?

I'm at last trying to get to grips with my dad's records. I have a list of ships, with dates, and I have managed to find some of them by googling eg submarines Sceptre, Subtle, Token & Trump, cruiser Euryalus, aircraft carrier Eagle, and "Depot ships" (eg Forth & Wolfe).

I know nothing about the navy But I gather some of these "ships" are actually shore-based establishments (for training?), How can I find out which & where?

I've spent the afternoon googling for names like mercury, dolphin & drake, and quite honestly I'm fed up of trawling through loads of irrelevant hits.

Off to feed OH now, will hopefully be back later (if I get chance before cranford).
    Vicky

Quite a comprehensive list on wikipedia - not sure if it is of any help.
    List of Royal Navy ship names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Elaine

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem with my grandad's navy records Vicky - all those ships!!!!

Working on the assumption that every major port had a training ship, if you google Chatham Training Ships, Portsmouth Training Ships etc. you get quite a bit of info.

Also remember that there were usually several ships of same name over the years.

Vicky,

I tried the web-site Pat has suggested looking for my uncle. I couldn't find him so I e-mailed the chap who set up the site & he e-mailed me back some details about him, even tho he wasn't an officer.

Vicky,

There may be something of interest here

UKRoyal NavyIndex

Jackie

Avatar - Frank sadly no longer with us 21/9/2013
    HMS Mercury - Signal Training School, Petersfield, Hants

HMS Drake - Devonport Naval Base Plymouth

HMS Dolphin - Diving Training School, Portsmouth

However its the time scale thing too - a ship with one name might have been sunk and replaced by a ship in another category.

Some years ago I was at the commissioning of HMS Coventry and a good few years later saw a stand manned by ratings of HMS Coventry so went to speak to them - not realising it wasn't the same ship!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

thank you everyone. Jackie, that website was ideal!

I already knew that he was a telegraphist & had been in submarines during the war, so its beginning to come together now.

yes, I was aware of the practise of reusing ships' names, which is why I gave the dates in my first posting. I think it would be terribly confusing for anyone trying to put together a history of the navy!
    Vicky