Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 13th December 2007 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maggie, I think what happens when the new winner is picked is that the old thread just gets "unstickied" and then slips down the board like any normal Research Advice thread. Once they are finally deleted (1 month after the last posting) there is no way of getting them back.

I'm getting a bit confused with George and Elizabeth now because on the 1881 George is in King's Lynn as a lodger, still married, and I think I've found Elizabeth in London at 137 Manor(?) St, Clapham, married, can't read her age, occupation Matron, birthplace Docking, but "relation to head" is Sister-in-law and the head isn't there! It would make it too easy if s/he was, wouldn't it?! I don't suppose your Caroline lived at that address at all, did she?

This is the reference for Elizabeth:
    RG11/634 Folio 77 Page 5
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      Maggie, I think what happens when the new winner is picked is that the old thread just gets "unstickied" and then slips down the board like any normal Research Advice thread. Once they are finally deleted (1 month after the last posting) there is no way of getting them back.

I'm getting a bit confused with George and Elizabeth now because on the 1881 George is in King's Lynn as a lodger, still married, and I think I've found Elizabeth in London at 137 Manor(?) St, Clapham, married, can't read her age, occupation Matron, birthplace Docking, but "relation to head" is Sister-in-law and the head isn't there! It would make it too easy if s/he was, wouldn't it?! I don't suppose your Caroline lived at that address at all, did she?

RG11/634 Folio 77 Page 5
      Nah our Caroline is pretty consistent, we have tracked her 1836-1837 Docking, Norfolk and on 1841 Holborn census, 1851 21 Minories, Aldgate, 1861 21 Minories, Aldgate, 1871 Mansell St Aldgate, 1881 Mansell Street, Aldgate and 1891 the City of London Union Infirmary (St Clements, Mile End) where she dies in the July of that year.

Strange thing is we think she's buried in Bow Cemetary which is right behind St Clements and my cousin is the Head of the transcription team for the friends of Tower Hamelts cemetary, she's found a few relatives but not our Caroline, well not yet anyway, but there are 300,000 burials most not marked of course.

Our Caroline would have been a pauper so I don't think we'll find her. We found John Kendall her husband my g g grandfather's burial in St Katherine Coleman with Mary Ann Kirby Kendall who was buried in the same place aged 11 months and not JK's daughter, still ours though, still our Mary Ann ...

xx

Maggie
      Last edited by Guest; 18-12-07, 13:17.

Comment

Yeah I understand that. I'll save it to my archive.

xx

Maggie

Comment

... but having said that, this family in 1871 caught my eye:
          Docking, Norfolk
          Rampant Horse - Old Workhouse Yd
          George Cooke Head Mar 54 Blacksmith & Beer Seller Norfolk Docking
          Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 48 Do Do
          Caroline Do Daur Unm 22 Nurse Do Do

Looks pretty likely, doesn't it? I'll try to follow them back and forward to see if there is anything to prove it one way or the other...

RG11/634 Folio 77 Page 5
          Well the marriage cert of George Cooke and Elizabeth Allen arrived and George's father is William Cooke Blacksmith of Docking so unless there's two William Cooke Blacksmiths floating about in Docking in the 1840's I think we can safely say he's Caroline's brother. Also George Cooke's profession is Blacksmith.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Glad to hear that.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X