Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 13th December 2007 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
    I would imagine you would have to call there to order anything so they could take your money!! Most films are ordered in from the States (I think)

Then you would need to go back when the film arrived to view it. I think they can keep the films for several weeks to allow you to spend plenty of time on them!

Here's their website:

Home - Hyde Park Regional Family History Centre

it does say....(amongst other things) "Microfilms of church records of more than 8500 English and Welsh parishes" so you might get lucky and they might have the PR in stock!
    oooh see I've never seen that particular site before. Thank you.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
      Okay shall we try another.

Caroline Hannah Kendall born 7 August 1841 at 3 Old North Street. Appears on the 1851 census at 21 Minories, and then on the 1861 census as a barmaid in Nicholas Lane in the City up the road from the Minories RG9/227.

She marries a George Daniel Duff in Croydon Dec 1862 unfortunately poor old Georgie died in abt Sep 1865! Not lucky this lot on the men front either that or they had a little industry of life insurance going on - sorry I jest.

Anyway no siting again for our Caroline Hannah. We've lost her!

xx

Maggie
      I did have another brick wall ^^^ or have I used all your patience up already? :p

xx

Maggie

Comment

Maggie, just give us a day or two to work on that one!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Maggie, just give us a day or two to work on that one!
          Yes sorry I am a bit keen. I thought John and Caroline was a dead end already.

I do know that if anyone ever researches me and puts me in a family tree it'll be a lot easier, I have travelled far and wide but came back to my roots and will spend the next 20 years on the computer. Easy peasy.

xx

Maggie

Comment

I think the LDS have a distribution centre near Birmingham for films/fisches that are ordered.

I think they usually say they'll be in the LDS centre in about two weeks after ordering unless they are already out.

Don't know how many copies of each one is available

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I wouldn't say John and Caropline are a complete dead end my any means, just that we can't do anything as the appropriate records are not online!

As for Mrs Duff.....I'm sure you know this, but to save others looking the same as I did.......this:

Deaths Q2 1872
              DUFF Caroline 29 Pancras 1b 71

isn't her! lol

Comment

I wouldn't say John and Caropline are a complete dead end my any means, just that we can't do anything as the appropriate records are not online!

As for Mrs Duff.....I'm sure you know this, but to save others looking the same as I did.......this:

Deaths Q2 1872
                DUFF Caroline 29 Pancras 1b 71

isn't her! lol
                That's not her. I think that one was born a Duff.

When I said dead end I meant for this purpose.

xx

Maggie
                Last edited by Guest; 15-12-07, 10:46.

Comment

Merry - there is one other error (among many) that I came across the other day. This involves the collating of all the quarterly index pages for a particular initial letter and then numbering them sequentially (looks as if they used a numbering machine). I found one instance where two successive pages had been transposed before numbering. Unfortunately Ancestry filmed and indexed the pages in numerical rather than alphabetical order, so the Millers came after the Millses.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Don't quite understand what you mean Uncle John!?? Why would n alphabetical list be numbered sequentially?

maggie, the Caroline Duff who died in 1872 was most likely the wife of William Duff. They were both from the Isle of Man.

Comment

Don't quite understand what you mean Uncle John!?? Why would n alphabetical list be numbered sequentially?
                      Right then, Ancestry FreeBMD births, 1838, quarter 1, letter M.

Image 27 is page number 438: Miller to Millington
                      Image 28 is page number 439: Mills to Minal
                      Image 29 is page number 440: Millington to Mills

Geddit now? My Jane (you may remember, which of 3 births in the same quarter in Newcastle) was on Image 28, which starts half way through Mills. Go back one page and you are back to Millington. Go forward one page and there is the start of Mills.

Comment

Yes, got it now. Those typed pages would have been made some time at the beginning of the 20th C as replacements for hand written pages. I should imagine the pages were typed before they were stamped with a page number, so the pages were placed in the wrong order before they were numbered and bound.

These things are sent to try us! lol

Comment

I should imagine the pages were typed before they were stamped with a page number, so the pages were placed in the wrong order before they were numbered and bound.
                          I think that's what I said in the first place :p

Comment

I thought you were talking about the entries not the pages!

Comment

How do the LDS transcribe the IGI entries, ie from what source?

xx

Maggie

Comment

From the Parish Registers or the Bishop's transcripts usually.

Certainly NOT from the civil records. (though submitted entries can come from anywhere, inc the imagination of the submitter!)

Comment

That's true for England and Wales (as far as I know), but there are certainly lots of Irish entries taken from the civil registration records, and I think Scottish ones too?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh, yes...sorry! I don't have any Irish of Scots ancestors, so I never look at those! (some of the Indian ones also have birth records)

Comment

My German ones (RC) came from the church registers.

Comment

To get back on topic...

I think I may have found Caroline senior's father on the 1841 census. Don't know if you already have this?

HO107/782 Book 6; Civil Parish Docking; County Norfolk; Enumeration District 7; Folio 19; Page 30:
                                        Docking, Norfolk
                                        William Cook 53 Blacksmith Y
                                        Mary do 51 Y
                                        William 26 Assistant Y

And in 1851:
                                        HO107/1827 Folio 474 Page 9
                                        Barmer Lane, Docking, Norfolk
                                        William Cooke Head Mar 63 Blacksmith Master Norfolk Beetly(?)
                                        Mary Do Wife Mar 62 Do Massingham
                                        William Do Son U 38 Pauper Do Docking Idiot
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

And in 1861:
                                          RG9/1250 Folio 57 Page 18
                                          East Street, Docking, Norfolk:
                                          Mary Cook Head W 71 Washerwoman Norfolk Great Massingham
                                          William Cook Son U 48 Almsman (Idiot) Norfolk Docking

In 1871 William (junior) is an inmate in the workhouse in Docking. I can't see Mary, but I can't see a death for her on FreeBMD before the one in Jun 1881 (age 90).
                                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                          X