Australian Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Marriage

I'm hoping someone can help me find a marriage for Ellen Louise GARBY née WELLS somewhere in Australia between 1930 and 1950.
    I've looked on the NSW website but no luck there so any help would be appriciated
    Thanks
    Daphne
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Are you looking for Ellen Wells' marriage to Mr Garby, or a remarriage for Ellen Garby?

When and where was she last heard of?

Comment

I'm getting one hit for the marriage of an Ellen Garby in Victoria between 1930 and 1945. No hits for Ellen Louise Garby. You'll have to pay AUS $0.99 to view the result:

Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Index Search - Historical Index Search Form

Comment

Mary, thanks for that, I could only seem to access the NSW site this morning.
        I was helping a friend try and find info. Apparently Ellen Louise Wells married someone named Garby in the UK, divorced him and later went to Australia, my friend was told Sydney some time between 1930/40.
        Ellen was supposed to have married in Australia but no one seems to know who too. She is supposed to have returned to the UK in the 1950's. It's all very vague really.

Daphne
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

No sign of her in the NSW index, which is normally pretty accurate, so I would have thought she was married elsewhere - or didn't bother to get married at all. The marriage index goes up to 1956, so the marriage wouldn't show up if it was after 1956. If she died in NSW before 1976 you could search for her death by entering her Christian names, no surname, and her parents' names.

I've found her on the 1930 NSW electoral roll living with a Walter Garby - I wonder who he is? Her husband was Charles, according to FreeBMD. I would think Walter's too old to be her son, because he'd have to be 21 to be on the electoral role as far as I know, and Ellen and Charles were married in 1912. I assume this is her because of the unusual surname, although her middle name isn't given; people's middle names were generally included on the electoral roll, but not always.

The entry reads:

Garby, Ellen, 14 Francis Street, home duties, F
          Garby, Walter, 14 Francis Street, boot trade, M
          They're registered in Lang district, Marrickville sub-district.

There's no sign of Ellen or Walter on the 1936 electoral roll, and those are the only two online for NSW. There are more online for Victoria, but they don't appear on any of them.

Neither of them appear in Sands street directory for NSW.

Walter isn't listed as having served in WWI or WWII.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-12-07, 21:53.

Comment

Her immigration to Aus is on FindMyPast - it was in 1937:

GARBY E L 47 F 1937 London Australia Sydney

Therefore, that can't be her on the NSW electoral roll in 1930, that Mary found above. No sign of an immigration for her husband Charles so presumably she left him behind in the UK!

The marriage that Mary found in Victoria was in 1941 so it's a possible. However, when I put in father's family name as Wells I got zero results so it doesn't look too promising. It's probably worth spending the 99c to have a look at the details though!

If she divorced Charles Garby, then maybe she reverted to her maiden name for her 2nd marriage? Having said that, there's no Ellen Louise Wells marriages in NSW or Victoria between 1937 & 1956.

Cheers,
            Richard
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 12-12-07, 04:39.

Comment

HI

I had some spare credits for the Victoria BMD site

Ellen Louisa Garby married Albert John Carey

That all the info on there for the small fee.
              WendyP

Comment

Thanks you so much everyone for all your help, sorry I didn't get back last night but we had visitors.

I'm seeing my friend this morning, we're off to the German Market in Birmingham, so I can pass all this on to her and she can take it from there. I think her main problem is the information she was given was very vague but this looks promising.

Daphne
                Daphne

Comment

Are you still looking or searching ???

Comment

1939 register has Charles Henry Garby,b. 28 Nov 1890; divorced; gen. lab. M/C shop living at Whitmore Park Hostels Hollbrook Lane Coventry.

There is a death for Charles H Garby in Q4 1941

Ellen Louise Garby , 27 yrs, emig. to Sydney per 'Orion' 1937. UK address given as Union St Coventry, occupation tailoress. Aust address given as 22 Dennis St La Pembe? Sydney

Can't reconcile the 1912 Wells/Garby marriage with the age given on the 'Orion' passenger list for E.L.Garby. The voyage took place in 1937 and Mrs E.L. Garby age was 27 yrs. Something does not add up.
                    Last edited by Macbev; 17-07-19, 20:44.

Beverley

Comment

I have reconciled the age problem. Ellen Garby was 47 when she emigrated to Australia, thus born ca 1890. The '27' on the passenger list refers to her UK address - 27 Union St Coventry

1943 Ellen Louisa (machinist) & Albert John Carey (heleographer)living 270 Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park Melbourne
                      1954,both living 18 Stewart Av, Mentone Victoria

26 Oct 1954 Ellen Louisa Carey, 65 yrs, machinist, last address in UK Mountain view, Rhyl coast Road, Rhyl, sailed from London to Melbourne per 'Arcadia'

Aug 1958 per S.S 'Southern Cross'
                      Ellen L. Carey,b.21.10.1889, machinist, UK address Millcroft, Westdene, Brighton, Sussex

Ellen Louisa Carey, b. 21 Oct 1889;d.Q3 1982 Brighton E.Sussex

Beverley

Comment

25 Jun 1954, Melbourne-London, per 'Strahaird' Ellen Louisa Carey, 64 yrs, UK address Mountain view, Rhyl coast Rd, Rhyl, N.Wales, commercial machinist.

On the 1958 voyage to UK per 'Southern Cross', Ellen is listed as 'S' which includes single, widowed or divorced. Don't know yet whether Albert had died or there was another divorce. Her marital status is not mentioned on the 1954 lists, but I note that both Ellen and Albert are listed at the same address in Melbourne on the 1954 electoral roll.

Beverley

Comment

Q3 1915, birth of Ellen M. Garby, mmn:Wells, RD:Atherstone Wks. Probable death Q4 1916 RD:Birmingham Wks Ellen M. Garby age 1 yr

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                          X