Yorkshire Archieves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Archieves?

HI, I have been doing research from The Netherlands in Yorkshire. Most resaerch is done in Wentworth / Wath upon Dearne / Rotherham / Doncater / Epperth. In The Netherlands we have a General bureau of Genealogy where one can look and see if some research already has been done. The archieves are accessable to the public. Does anybody know if this is also the case for England or Yorkshire? The family names I am researching are:
    Harpur / Poles / Rawlin / Barke / Pepper / Arrandale / Bailes / Burgon / Rhodes
    A grafical representation of my pedigree, and thus of all these names, can be found on my site: http://www.de-paula-lopes.nl/downloads/ks.htm.
    Hope someone can help.

Cheers, Alex

hi Alex,

I think your best bet might be to contact these:

Homepage

failing that, might be an idea if you were to join a mailing list for the area(s) you are searching.

genuki has some good mailing lists.

GENUKI: Yorkshire Genealogy

and this one as well...

Yorkshire Surname List
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie,
      Thank you for your links, I will look into them asap.
      Kind regards, Alex

Comment

Alex

Yorkshire is a bit different to most counties! Because it is so large there are several county archives for different parts. The records for the places you mention will not all be at the same archive. You will probably need Doncaster and Sheffield, and possibly Barnsley as well.

As Julie says use GENUKI to find where the records for each of the places are. I have family from many places near yours and its a nuicance to have to go from place to place when the villages are just next door to each other - but in different parts of Yorkshire. They are all very friendly and helpful though! Good luck.

Anne

Comment

there is a yorkshire bmd brenda xxx

Comment

Alex try British-Genealogy.com They have a lot on there about Yorkshire, it is a free site.
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

It might be worth having a wander around this site, to see if there's anything useful:

Guild of One-Name Studies

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ann, Brenda, Stella and Christine, Thank you so much for your help. Great tips and gives me the feeling that I am not a total stranger. I was ripped of by a Genealogical research company in London for 300,- pounds. They said they did research, but only gave me the exact data back that I provided them with. I had to pay upfront. I then hired a company in Wentworth self and they did the research for 80,- (!) and gave me a 16 sheet evaluation. So in all the research has been very costly. That is the reason why I am seeking free help. It is just to costly for me.
                Take care, all. Kind regards, Alex

Comment

sent you a pm hope it helps ,im from yorkshire.xxxxbrenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X