1851 Q (the wet bit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 Q (the wet bit)

I know that the Lancs FHS has done some sterling work in restoring the wet bit of the 1851 Lancashire census.

As I CANNOT find my man, does anyone know if you have to be a member of the LFHS to access the restored bits?

OC

Sorry I don't know the answer to that OC. However I have a query about the 'wet bits' of the 1851 census. I know parts of Lancashire are missing but did you know there are also damaged parts of West Yorkshire too - parts of Barnsley and Dodworth containing my ancestors most of whom lived until about January 1861 drat them!

I have often wondered if the Yorkshire bits are part of the same damage? I was told by someone from the Barnsley FHS that it had been dropped in the Thames! I have them on a CD but the images are just fragments of paper, about the size of postage stamps, scattered on a black background.

If the Lancashire bits are just about transcribable it would seem that it ia a different sort of damage? I was wondering what the chances are of anyone being able to 'do' the Dodworth area - not much I guess :(

Anne

Comment

Doesn't FHOL have it?

Comment

This should be it - 193,113 entries do you?

– Family History Online

Comment

Ann

It is my understanding that it was the bundles that got wet and the bundles were then just left to dry out, which meant they welded themselves into blocks of wood, virtually.

The restoration work consisted of carefully peeling the sheets apart and using ultra violet light and other clever things to reveal the writing.

I understand it has been 90% successful. I have no idea how this work was funded, so don't know if Yorkshire has amde any moves towards restoring their wet bits!

Cannot quite see how the Yorkshire census made its way to the Thames to get wet, though!?

OC

Comment

LOL, thats what I thought OC. Stupidly I didn't continue the questioning - it was at a very busy FH Fair.

Anne

Comment

Thankyou Mary, that is eactly what I was looking for, and covers exactly the area I think my man was living in in 1851!

OC

Comment

Is this searchable or do you have to apply to LFHS?
                Lynne
                Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Granny Lynn

No, you have to buy the CDs or fiche and they are in separate lots!

Which is annoying, because I have one missing lot in Blackley, another missing lot in Ardwick and a third missing lot who could be anywhere.

OC

Comment

Hi OC
                    Sorry, I was watching TV.
                    Maybe we could get other people interested in this and each of us buy one CD then share them. How much are they?
                    Lynne
                    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Excuse me contradicting you, OC, but it's searchable.

I have a family in the wet bit and I've just searched FHOL for them.

This is the result that came up:

Lydia GRIMSHAW found in Unfilmed 1851 Census. 2 entries in Lancashire during 1851 details £0.20

I was too mean to pay to see the details, because I've already been given them by somebody else

I don't know if they give you the full information, but I assume so as it costs 10p, unlike a baptism, which is about 6p.

Presumably it's 10p per person, so you'd have to search and pay separately for each person in a family.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-12-07, 21:34.

Comment

Mary

Oh, wow, I didn't realise that! I will get back to the Home page and follow that through - 20p sounds fine to me, lol!

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X