Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions required please - which Death ?

22/12 UPDATED : Opinions required please - which Death ?

Afternoon all !

One of my GGG Grandmothers married 3 times - and I'm down from her 3rd marriage (so lucky to be here as me !!! ).

Anyway, I'm keen to order up the Death cert of her 2nd husband - but there are two options - can I please have some thoughts as to which is more likely ?!?

Details :-

Mary Ann Rooney (aged 23) & Richard Fagg (aged 34) in Brompton - Kent - they married on 16th March 1864 - Brompton - The Parish Church.

They had two sons - the first was William Edward Fagg - born A/M/J 1864 - Medway (Kent). The second one Joseph Richard Fagg - born 14th May 1866 - Farnham.

Now on the 11th July 1866 - Mary Ann Fagg married Joseph Jackson (he was also in the Army !) - at Farnham.

There are two possibles on the Death of Richard Fagg :-

1) O/N/D 1865 - Dover

2) J/F/M 1866 - Portsea (aged 36)

I have the 2nd son's (Joseph Richard Fagg) Birth cert - no mention of his Deceased father.

So which Death shall I go for ? Both have merits of sorts. The first place Dover is in Kent and probably used by the army as a departure point. The second option matches his age.

Now include the info that she married at Farnham for her third marriage - I'm thinking it's the first option.

Please advise and then I'll order up the cert ! Which would you go for and why ???

Thanks

Simon
    Last edited by Simon in Bucks; 22-12-07 at 23:34. Reason: Cert now arrived

Hi Simon, like you I would be inclined towards the first one in Dover. I know they often married quite soon after the death of a previous spouse but I think it would be after a decent period of mourning, at least 3 mths!

Fingers crossed you pick the right one, I always have this problem as my main surname is Barker & there are tons of em!
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Mmm.

Mary Ann has baby named Joseph and less than 2 months later marries a man called Joseph? I'd be a bit suspicious about that, personally. Is there a father actually named on Joseph Fagg's birth cert?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Quote Originally Posted by Little Nell View Post
    Mmm.

Mary Ann has baby named Joseph and less than 2 months later marries a man called Joseph? I'd be a bit suspicious about that, personally. Is there a father actually named on Joseph Fagg's birth cert?
    Yes here are the details. Joseph Richard Fagg - born Aldershot 14th May 1866 (registered 21st May Farnham) - although the Mother has stated that she resides in Aldershot. The Father is stated as Richard Fagg - but there is no deceased after his name.

Has anyone ever had a Birth Cert where the Father is shown as deceased ?

IF - big if - Joseph's father was really someone else (though the fact he is named Richard as well seems to mitigate this) then mother may have just given her deceased husband's name when asked and not mentioned he was dead, in case the registrar started asking when he died.

On the other hand, getting married 2 months after having another man's child, whilst not impossible, does seem a bit quick to me!

Farnham registration district included Aldershot until 1934 when Aldershot reg district was created.

Of course its possible Mary Ann and children were in barracks and husband died whilst travelling elsewhere with the army.

1865 Dover death
    There's a Richard Fagg age 61 on 1861 census living in Dover, so that may help rule out first death.
    The one that died 1st q 1866 in Portsea would have been around to father Mary Ann's child. But she clearly felt the need of a male protector/provider pretty soon after his death and birth of their child.

1865 Dover death
    There's a Richard Fagg age 61 on 1861 census living in Dover, so that may help rule out first death.
    The one that died 1st q 1866 in Portsea would have been around to father Mary Ann's child. But she clearly felt the need of a male protector/provider pretty soon after his death and birth of their child.
    So you think the 2nd one is the right one to get ?

Just to add some more info.............a few years down the line..................Mary Ann and her 3rd husband ended up in Portsmouth, after going round the Med where they had a son at Malta (my GG Grandfather), and his younger brother in Gibralter.
    Last edited by Simon in Bucks; 09-12-07 at 16:08.

Simon

Have you got any checking points you could add - his army number, rough age?

Simon

Have you got any checking points you could add - his army number, rough age?
    Well, going on the marriage cert - Richard Fagg was 34 in 1864. And he was a Butcher - probably worked in the army in that role.