Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration District - Clerkenwell 1865

Hi Folks,

Following on from my earlier thread today, could some kind soul please tell me if the registration district of Clerkenwell would include St. Lukes back in 1865? I mistakenly thought that Eliza Turner (sibling of dear Alice) is down on the 1871 census as being born in St. Lukes was actually born in Shoreditch (where her parents married). Sent for cert, which was the wrong one. There is, however, a birth for Eliza Louise Turner in 1865, 3rd quarter in Clerkenwell - could that be a possibility?

My Eliza then disappears and is not with her parents on the 1881, not surprisingly, so nothing further to go on sadly.

Many thanks,

Chris

St Lukes was still a registration district in its own right then I think - but the borders are very blurred.
    Asa

Comment

Thanks, Asa.

This is my dilemma: I have the details of two Eliza Turner births. Both are in 1865, both in the 3rd quarter. One is in the reg. district of Pancras, and the other is Clerkenwell. The 1871 census has her as born in 1866 in St. Lukes (which I mistakenly thought covered Shoreditch), but cannot find her on any other census to compare. One of these Eliza's has the middle name of Louise, but that doesn't help me at all as the parents varied in their desire for middle names for their kiddliwinks - some did, and some didn't. In fact, most of the certs that I have for these siblings only had one Christian name on the reg details, but came back with with a middle name. Great help, eh?

Chris

Comment

Chris, for some reason I can't see the one you are talking about, in 1871.

Could you put up the ref please?

Comment

Sorry, Merry. I didn't deliberately ignore you, but for some reason my reply didn't materialise.....

This 1871 is RG10/390, Folio 9, page 13. Just click in the name Damae Farner (which is supposed to be Daniel Turner!) and up it will come - believe you me, there is only one name like that LOL! You will see the family of gobbledegook names there...........

Chris

Comment

1. This is a list of registration districts arranged by county and explaining which areas they covered and when:
            Registration Districts in England and Wales

bookmark it - you won't regret it!

Clerkenwell borders on St Luke and the City of London and Shoreditch and I have folk who interchange all these as birthplaces, as well as Islington!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for giving me that name Chris! No wonder I couldn't find them!!

I would be quite suspicious as to whether Eliza was registered at all. (not compulsory until mid 1870's)......My reasoning is that on the same census page she had a sister, Emma b Clerkenwell, but there's no registration for her (that I could see).....and often families who didn't register a child, never bothered with any of them!

Let's hope I'm wrong though!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Thanks for giving me that name Chris! No wonder I couldn't find them!!

I would be quite suspicious as to whether Eliza was registered at all. (not compulsory until mid 1870's)......My reasoning is that on the same census page she had a sister, Emma b Clerkenwell, but there's no registration for her (that I could see).....and often families who didn't register a child, never bothered with any of them!

Let's hope I'm wrong though!
                Hi Merry,

I have actually got Emma's birth cert, which is correct, and that states the registration district as being Islington, sub-district of Islington West. In fact, of the 7 birth certs that I have got so far, five of 'em have two Christian names, and the other two only have one Christian name. That certainly doesn't make life any easier......nor does the fact that nearly each one of the kiddies was born at a different address! 'Pikies' or 'Gippos' spring to mind.....!

Chris

Comment

I don't know if this helps and if anyone here knows this district well but I have lived in Shoreditch most of my life.

The thing is St Lukes lies between Clerkenwell to the west and Shoreditch to the East in fact slap bang in the middle and Islington to the north and don't ask about Finsbury and Hoxton. The borders are very slippery and have probably changed a lot over the years. But just to give you a picture of the district really as it is now and was, they are streets away from each other and the borders have to be somewhere.

In fact St Luke's Church stands in Clerkenwell Rd/Old St just a shell now, just the outside walls. There was a program on St Lukes a few years back they were trying to renovate or at least sort it out. Its a massive church that has been left to disintegrate and still has burial grounds and vaults.

xx

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    1. This is a list of registration districts arranged by county and explaining which areas they covered and when:
                    Registration Districts in England and Wales

bookmark it - you won't regret it!

Clerkenwell borders on St Luke and the City of London and Shoreditch and I have folk who interchange all these as birthplaces, as well as Islington!

Thanks, Nell, I have done that. Problem is, as everybody has said, that the boundaries seem to be pretty fuzzy, so there is an element of pot-luck, I guess. This bunch really are giving me rather expensive headaches.........

Chris

Comment

Well, Chrissie, it depends on what people respond - if I'm asked where I am from, I generally say "Croydon" as that's the nearest big place people have heard of. I was actually born in Redhill, but brought up in Sanderstead. This used to be part of Surrey but is now in the London Borough of Croydon.

So I guess it depends on who told the enumerator what. At least St Luke/Islington/Clerkenwell are in the same area. I have people who don't know which county they were born in from one census to the next!

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks Nell - will let you know. I have bitten the bullet and sent off for two birth certs, one for Eliza and the other for Alice. I am convinced that Eliza was born the wrong side of the bedclothes anyway as her parents didn't wed until 1867 (I have the cert) so I just hope that this cert will confirm the rightful mummy and daddy LOL! Don't you just love 'em...........

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post

In fact St Luke's Church stands in Clerkenwell Rd/Old St just a shell now, just the outside walls. There was a program on St Lukes a few years back they were trying to renovate or at least sort it out. Its a massive church that has been left to disintegrate and still has burial grounds and vaults.

xx

Maggie
                          They did indeed renovate St Luke's Old Street a few years back. The building is now used by the London Symphony Orchestra - see this website for pics, and even a list of people whose burials they traced during the project :
                          LSO St Luke's
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

When I worked near the Old Street roundabout in the late 70s/early 80s, St. Luke's was an overgrown shell. I used to go to the library behind it in my lunch hour, and several colleagues used to go to Ironmonger Row baths.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, Judith and Uncle John - very interesting!

Chris

Comment

St Luke's is one of the churches in London where my husband's ancestors were baptised and married, and they lived in Ironmonger Row and Radnor Street at different times.

Comment

Working...
                                X