Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just spotted new category on Docs Online...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just spotted new category on Docs Online...

These are from the Docs Online (The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Welcome) site describing the new records...

Air Ministry Combat Reports (1939 - 1945)

Monthly Summary of Encounters, April 1944, front page (Cat ref: AIR 50/299)

This collection held in the series AIR 50 comprises Second World War combat reports of squadrons, wings and groups in Fighter, Bomber, Coastal Commands and Fleet Air Arm squadrons. The records cover Commonwealth and Allied units based in the United Kingdom including the United States Army Air Force.

You can now search and download documents which contain the names of around 20,000 men. Until now these records have only been available on microfiche in the Reading Room at The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.
    You can search details from all the surviving records by entering any or all of the following:

* Forename(s)
    * Surname
    * Rank
    * Flight/Squadron
    * Date of combat

The records mainly consist of either a printed Personal Combat Report or a Fighter Command Combat Report. There might also be correspondence and/or notes included with a report. the section below explores the records in more detail, using sample images
    A Pilot or air gunner returning from an operational flight where they had encountered enemy aircraft had to complete RAF Form "F". These forms recorded details such as:

* date and time of the combat
    * squadron of the individual submitting the information
    * type and number of enemy aircraft
    * height and general location of where the encounter took place
    * whether the enemy aircraft was considered as a casualty
    * whether there were Allied aircraft losses and if so, type

They would also give a detailed narrative of what actually happened. The pilot or air gunner would describe how many rounds they used, what hits they achieved and if the aircraft was destroyed, damaged or considered as probably destroyed.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-12-07, 15:01. Reason: add the URL for the site
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

A useful link to help identify squadron numbers/locations and dates to use with the info found via the tip above is RAF History - Bomber Command 60th Anniversary
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Christine

Found a ref to one of my unusual surnames, checked a few bmd bits via freebmd and added another rellie, a fourth cousin who made it to Major at some point.

Wish i had the ancestry sub, i might find when he died/if he married.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Oh thats interesting, I guess it depends if they were on combat duties at that particular time though. Ill nip over and have a look, see if Dad (Bomber Command air gunner) is shown there.

Glen, what do you want on ancestry?

Comment

No luck :( Suppose it was unlikely, such a small time span.

Comment

Hi Heather

Just wondered if there was a death for Frank Job Goulson b1913. Could you check the post 84 for me?
            Awarded the DSO (announced in the London Gazette 17/01/1946).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Pity, my dad's squadron isn't there.

Comment

Sorry Glen, no death after 1984 coming up. Is this his birth?

Name: Frank J Goulson
                Year of Registration: 1913
                Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
                Mother's Maiden Name: Bates
                District: Newark
                County: Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire
                Volume: 7b
                Page: 979
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-12-07, 00:30.

Comment

Thats the one Heather, i suppose he might well have died well before '84 or possibly have gone abroad at some point.

Looks like finding stuff could be a Major Job (sorry, couldn't resist)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant, but I've googled 'docs online' and only found legal and government documents.
                    Can you give me the link please?
                    Alison

Researching:
                    CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                    http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

National Archives site
                      The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Welcome
                      Elaine

Comment

Sorry. I should have remembered to put the link in the heading post.

Christine

PS - I have now created a New Improved header-post - i.e. I've added the URl for the site!
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-12-07, 15:02.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks !!
                          Alison

Researching:
                          CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                          http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Maybe there's lots more to be added as my dad's squadron (90) isn't there either.

Nicky

Comment

Just bumping, can anyone else add a result to mine?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just went to look at this website (using Christine's URL and Elaines) and it says "documents on line has closed"! Did I miss it or has something gone wrong? Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                  Just went to look at this website (using Christine's URL and Elaines) and it says "documents on line has closed"! Did I miss it or has something gone wrong? Sue
                                  This is a really old thread so nothing's wrong - they changed to using Discovery for all searching:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                  X