Help needed dating a photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed dating a photo

I have attached a photo which we think appeared in the Northern Echo at some point. It appears to have been taken at Christmas on a childrens hospital ward probably in Gateshead area.

I am trying to date it so that I can then either contact the paper for more information or find someone going to the local archives.

I am hoping someone may have some knowledge of nurses uniforms in the past century which may help.

George
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Hi George, I'm no expert but I think this is early in the 20th century, probably the late 'teens or early twenties....

Comment

here you go George,

this might help folks

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for that, did not know how to get it to come up as an image in the message.
        Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

No probs George,

all I did was click on your image (so I could see it, then left click and copy, right click and paste) is easy when you know how

I found this also, praps might be worthwhile droppin them an email???

The Northern Echo :: News, Sport, Business and more from around the North East
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not really much to go on for dating, just early 20th century..

But look how clean that floor is!!!!!
            Jenny x

Researching: Creed, Howell, Anderson, Walton, Dagg, Berriman, Burdett, Murfet etc, etc....

Comment

I wonder if Joan (Muggins) has seen this ?

Or maybe Stella might be a help ....
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think it is from the 1920's. The way the nurses have their hats set low over the brow......think of the Queen Mum's wedding photos!

Comment

Well, it's not the type of uniform I wore in the 1950s/60s. I would say 1920/30s.;)
                  Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Not as late as 1930's. I'd personally say it's WWI era or immediately afterwards. Definently not later than 1925, unlikely earlier than 1910.

Comment

I have a picture taken of my great grandfather at a military hospital in 1918 and the nurses headgear is different, So I would go with 1920s-1930s
                      Vikki -
                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your input, this is one of the many pictures in the album which belonged to my great great grandads sister which we acquired through ebay.

Only a few of the people in the album were named and I have not succeeded in tracing anyone descended from the family.

I am considering the possibility that one of the nurses was one of Jane Bramwells daughters or they knew a patient in the picture.

George

Comment

Working...
                        X