No announcement yet.

Can someone please help me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to let you know - most people dont answer right away as they are busy looking for you, so be patient and keep checking back. good luck.

Comment

Possible ??

1880; Census Place: Lafayette, Chambers, Alabama; Roll: T9_5; Family History Film: 1254005; Page: 123.4000; Enumeration District: 21; Image: 0456.

Comment

Then why on the 1900 United States Federal Census it shows jessie ada and the kids as smith ? and not ragsdale? I know for fact that walter fleacher smith was really a smith and clemmie

Comment

HI Chris

Well of course Walter and Clemmie were Smith, they were born after the marriage in 1889 wasn't they.

Sometimes its probably the fault of the enumerator as to why children get the assumed the surname of the head of the house where there are two married adults.
          WendyP

Comment

Chris, I'm sure you must know some families where the children have had their surname changed to their stepfather's surname? I certainly know lots like that where I live!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

So im guessing she was married before she married my marion and the older kids was from another marrige but the young walter and clemmise was marions kids that makes sense.So now lets say i went by the heath department in chambers Valley Alabama and asked them to look up death cert for marion Would that have where his grave is ?

Comment

I doubt it, Chris, because I would assume that the death certificate would be issued before the burial could take place, same as in England. Sorry.
                KiteRunner

Comment

So im wondering how do yall think hes dads name was mooses ? And on the marion p K Smith it says his father was from Alabama but on the 1920 c it says father was from GA

Comment

Well, the reason that Wendy thinks his father was Moses would be because she found Marion on the 1860 census with Moses. It says on that 1860 census entry that Moses was from Georgia, so if that's what it says on the 1920 census as well then it is probably right. Unfortunately census entries are not always 100% accurate.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

;/ wish i could just find out where marion grave is its so hard

Comment

anymore advice?

Comment

Did you try contacting the cemeteries on that list I posted up the link to?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Ok i got his death record.It had on there his dads name was wesly smith and mom patsy smith .It had the place where his grave is but me and uncle went by there and c didnt see it so not sure if we read it wroung or what.Said bethal but we went to another place beside that and found alot of smiths but was getting dark but i did see a grave that said jessie O ragsdale.So that was interesting.Im trying to find out if that mooses is his marions dad Could wesly be his first name and mooses his middle ?Can oneone find out.Also the jessie ragsdale i found said he died 1930 but thats the same year marion p smith died so im not sure because there is no 1940 cense for me to look at to see if jessie is still alive.Also i cant find nothing on clemmie if he had kids or what

Comment

Did anybody ever check the image for the 1860 census entry to see if it really said "Moses"? I wonder if it could be that it actually says Wesly and has been mistranscribed as Moses? But I don't have the US sub to check the image myself.
                              Patsy could be short for Martha.

Update - I've been ferreting around on the 1850 census, though again not having a sub I can't view the entries. Of course there are a lot of Smiths in Chambers, but there is a Doctor P Smith age 0 listed, who must surely be your Marion's brother, and I am guessing that Moses age 42, Martha A age 35, James M age 7 and Marion age 4 are all in that same family (can't see Isaac on the list). It would really need somebody to look at the image to check if that's right though. If so, then it seems that "Moses" isn't just a mistranscription as it wouldn't be misread the same on two different censuses.

Another update - found Moses and Martha on the 1880 census:
                              Chappell Hill, Chambers, Alabama
                              Moses Smith 72 Farmer born Georgia, father born Virginia, mother born Georgia
                              Martha E Smith 61 Wife born Georgia, both parents born Georgia
                              Oliver Watson Smith 23 other born Georgia
                              Laura A Smith wife (presumably of Oliver) 17 born Alabama
                              Aldora Smith daughter (ditto) 1m born Alabama

So, we still don't know why he is Wesly on his son's death cert, if we have the right family. I have to go to bed now but hope to return to this tomorrow....
                              Last edited by KiteRunner; 04-12-07, 22:38.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

hi
                                will be honest not read all the posts as just passing through, but FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records gives a lot of usa info, hope that helps
                                www.treamer.tribalpages.com
                                interested in treamer, trimmer, downing, lake, spruhen/spruhan

Comment

Just a thought about the grave, Chris - could it be that he is buried there but there is no headstone? The reason for this could be either that there used to be one but it was taken down, perhaps because it was damaged, or that the family never put one up, perhaps because they couldn't afford to. I would think that if you contact whoever is in charge of looking after that cemetery, they will have a plan of the grave plots and will be able to tell you if he is buried there and if so, exactly where he is buried.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

I wonder whether it could be that the name has been written wrong on Marion's death cert - somebody misread Moses as Wesly? I still think the Marion P Smith who was the son of Moses on the censuses must be your Marion, but I can't think of another reason why it would say Wesly for his father's name on the death cert.

If you go onto ancestry and search the family trees instead of the Historical Records and search for Moses Smith born 1808 in Georgia, you will see that somebody has him in their tree, and you can contact that person and ask if they have any information that might help you. (When you type in Moses Smith as the name to search for, ancestry automatically adds Smith for father's surname on the search form and you will have to delete that before clicking on search, because the person whose tree it is hasn't put in details of Moses's father)

When you look at the info about people in the trees, you may find that sometimes you have to scroll down past several blank lines to see everything.

One of the people who has Moses in their tree is in the "Public Member Trees" section, and she doesn't have much info about him, but there are two people who have him on their trees in the "Ancestry World Trees" section. One of them has Marion down as a girl(!) but the other one has quite a bit of info about Marion, showing him as married twice, the first time to Martha J Johnson Jul 12 1868 and the second time to Elizabeth M Ragsdale 22 Aug 1889. She doesn't have details of Elizabeth's previous marriage and children, and she lists Ada, Jessie and Wiliam as being Marion's children from his first marriage so I'm not sure how accurate her info will be, but I would certainly say it is going to be worth you contacting her.
                                    She shows Clemmie as marrying and having three children, by the way.

Got to get off the computer and get some stuff done now, but I hope that ancestry tree contact can help you.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

HI

1920 USA Census Five Points, Chambers, Alabama

Clemmie P Smith bn 1893 Alabama
                                      Fannie Smith bn 1896 Alabama
                                      Helen Smith bn 1913 Chambers,Alabama
                                      Clemmie G Smith bn 1917 Chambers, Alabama

There shows a burial for the young son who was bn 1917ish

AUG 1973 West Point Cemetery, West Point, Georgia

Added after initial reply

1930 shows an additional daughter Frances aged 8 also bn Alabama
                                      Last edited by WendyP; 05-12-07, 12:27. Reason: More info to add
                                      WendyP

Comment

Oh and the P in his name stands for Polk. Also mariin p died in roanoke Alabama what it says on death cert. But the church we went to was called bethal but its in chambers county so i dont understamnd that.But down from there was another church we looked and it was getting dark but that grave with jessiie O ragsdale was interesting to see he died in 1930 the same year marion died and also on marin death cert it does say Infomer J O Ragsdale

Comment

I cant fidn the person you said that had all the info about marion

Comment

Working...
                                          X