Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions of any sort on this photo, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rachel

Oh, well spotted! And that would make it a pork pie hat, which pushes it later rather than earlier, ho hum.

OC

Comment

a quick enlargement ... but not fiddled with too much
      Looks as if his hair is combed forwards ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The clothes seem too tight for him and a bit short in the sleeves so, if they are his, I'd say he would have bought them to fit but has had another growth spurt since. This would put him in his late teens/early 20s.

I'm not convinced that they aren't a borrowed outfit.

The jacket is velvet I'd say.
        Gwynne

Comment

I honestly think the clothes are his, now I also at first thought it was an earlier image, and glass plate negatives were invented in 1851, and I agree he looks like he has helmet hair (from wearing a hat),.........hum now I'm not sure.......... where's Don?

Comment

What's that splodge on his shoulder (our right)? It isn't the tip of a pigtail, is it? Cos if so, that pushes it right back again in time.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              What's that splodge on his shoulder (our right)? It isn't the tip of a pigtail, is it? Cos if so, that pushes it right back again in time.OC
              Impossible to tell ... very likely just a splodge

I was hoping the collar on the jacket might show up better ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

They use to use a rest on a stand behind the neck to keep the head still because of the long exposure time, the splodge might be the edge of one of these.

Comment

Good observation Jill, you're right it is probably the edge of the neck rest....

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    They use to use a rest on a stand behind the neck to keep the head still because of the long exposure time, the splodge might be the edge of one of these.
                    Yes, and they stopped using them when exposures got shorter.

Does anyone know when that was?? (1860's or 1870's??) It would help us to know, wouldn't it!

He was a man of vastly changing occupations and eventually he disappeared...(maybe he's still alive! pmsl...in which case he's about 163-ish!)

Comment

Doesn't you think his body looks like that of someone much older? His shoulders and upper arms look quite weak, yet round his waist he isn't skinny is he? He looks healthy enough in the face though!

Comment

Early photograph exposures could be minutes rather than seconds, try to stay absolutely still without blinking for 40 seconds................Merry I know you have many early photos, I am now torn..............could he be the end of the 1860s?

Comment

The man it's supposed to be was born in about 1844 in Clutton, Somerset.

He was the son of a schoolmaster. His parents died when he was about 10 and by the following census (1861) he was an errand boy in Wiltshire

By 1871 he had married and had moved to Wales where he was coalmining.

By 1878 they had moved to Bristol (his wife was from Bristol) and he registered the birth of a daughter (my connection's grandmother). He says he's an insurance agent.

1881 wife said she was married, but he is missing. Two children are in the workhouse.

1891 wife said she was married, but he is missing.

1895 wife marries someone else (says she's a widow). No death for 1st husband anywhere I can see.

1896 the girl born in 1878 marries and says her father is dec'd and his occ was a traveller.

The daughter used to tell her grandson (my contact) that her father was a superintendent at an Insurance Company in Bristol. She never said he vanished or anything!! lol

Comment

Well that would put your chap about 1869 or 70, if not well off, in clothing that might be slightly out of fashion, but his tie pin and cravat says he was a bit of a dandy............?
                            Last edited by Just Barbara; 10-11-07, 18:54.

Comment

That's what I though. Maybe why he didn't get on in coal mining!

Comment

Wonder if that's why he ran away, didn't like responsibility.
                                Last edited by Just Barbara; 10-11-07, 18:59.

Comment

I wish I knew where he went :(

Comment

Looks to me like his hiar is combed forward to cover a high forehead ( that what my OH calls his rapidly receding hairline)
                                    Jess

Comment

lol Jess....My OH's high forehead reaches the back of his head!!

Comment

Well, that makes me spot on with the date then! *pats self on back*.

(1860s) Late teens, early 20s, still got that babyfaced look and a bit petulant with it. Doesn't surprise me a bit that he didnt like coal mining or married life!

Hiding out in London under an assumed name, I'll bet. Or gone abroad to seek his fortune.

OC

Comment

Hope you don't mind if I butt in with this pic of mine ....
                                          It's a huge enlargement of part of a small photo taken abt 1900 and I'd like an opinion on his neckwear .... would it be classed as a cravat ???

Comment

Working...
                                          X