No announcement yet.

Family Tree Maker 2008 discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of installation problems which I have now overcome.
    I like the interface and input of data, notes, facts etc. is very easy to do and far better than FTM2006.
    Trying to get to grip with the source input at the moment.
    Cannot see the point of the maps - am sure I am supposed to do something with them but not quite sure what.
    Only a very small range of charts and reports - very bad move on FTM´s part.
    No internet backup - bad move.
    No option of uploading file to your own homepage - bad move
    No book facility within the program - bad move.

Program in its infancy- update patches being released (two already released for the American version, I believe one is due for the UK version very soon)

Am still using FTM2006 but will continue to play around with FTM2008 to see what it does and how it develops.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I keep getting it freezing and "program not responding" messages - have you had those?

Comment

Watching and reading this day by day, when mine gets here Elaine will need run down on how to install seperate from the other, I tried to remane the file on my desktop from FTM to FTM 2006 and told me I didnt have authority to do this ;;;lol
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
          Elaine, I keep getting it freezing and "program not responding" messages - have you had those?
          Have had some freezing Heather but it was when I was trying to do the map thing and kept getting error messages. Have solved that now by downloading IE7! Can`t see why it should make any difference because I use Firefox!

Having got the map now showing - what can you do with it?

I need to read up on the source input to see how that works.

How are you getting on with it - are you liking it more now?
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
            Watching and reading this day by day, when mine gets here Elaine will need run down on how to install seperate from the other, I tried to remane the file on my desktop from FTM to FTM 2006 and told me I didnt have authority to do this ;;;lol
            Don´t worry Babs - it installs itself separately from FTM 2006. What you have got to be sure about is that you know which data file you are using on your FTM2006 and make sure you keep it just for 2006 at the moment.
            Elaine

Comment

I have to be honest Elaine. I got about half an hour into changing ag labs as a place of birth etc., the program froze and I gave up on it. I cant say Im finding anything great about it so far and I return to my FTM2006 when I add more info still.

Comment

I know from my supplier there is limitations to the new FTM and these are noted on both of our websites. I am informed that updates are already being worked on and will be available soon.

Comment

Clare - I think "limitatons" is a bit of an understatement! :(

To introduce a new program that is an obvious backward step from a previous version is, I think, very damaging.
                  If FTM do not continue to support earlier versions of their program, or to develop FTM2008 with free updates, then I think a lot of people will be looking for alternative software.

Sorry Clare - should have said - not having a "go" at you - I realise you are a supplier rather than a manufacturer - but I do think FTM may have to backtrack quite a bit on this one!
                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 09-10-07, 07:49. Reason: added last paragraph!
                  Elaine

Comment

It does seem a very strange marketing decision to unleash this program when there were known faults. I cant think ancestry is that desperate for the dosh are they?

Comment

Thats my mind made up then!

Comment

me too

Comment

1st impression I like it, but the maps are very bad keep sending me abroard, and if Ialter it I have to lose the 1st part of address like Ormesby Middlesbrough to just Middlesbrough,
                          Hanvy found photos yet ;;;
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Ftm 2008

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            For those that have taken the plunge and ordered FTM 2008, a thread for your thoughts - what is your initial impression?

Any problems we can help each other with?
                            Initial impressions poor.

When I first imported my GEDCOM file into FTM2008 many facts went straight into 'Places'. Places now contains Causes of deaths / Occupations / Hospiterlisation etc. Thats now a big messy file.

I went to add a new fact of 'Occupation' I cannot add a date to this event. I cannot add a Source referance either.

No All in One Tree.

Many Reports/Charts will only allow BMD to be included.
                            Outline Descendants report only displays BD and you have no control on the Layout.

Cannot Sort many of the reports.

My home address 6 Northumberland Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2TH displays a Map of Southend showing a Pin which is within a half mile. The program suggests a place name change to 'Essex, Massachusetts, USA'.
                            Yes I did wait and buy the UK version.

With 13,734 people, 4,214 Marriages & 2,926 Surnames the program is painfully slow. It loaded with no errors!

Been using FTM since version 4 going through many updates, but this is a poor program.

If anyone has seen something I've missed then please email me on pattrickcolin@aol.com

Regards Colin Pattrick

Comment

I received my copy today, all intact and in a very well sealed envelope, I had trouble opening it! I will install it at the weekend and let you know how I get on.
                              Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

I am a retailer but also a keen family historian too and therefore can see both sides of what is being said on this thread.

As a family historian I am personally staying with the 2006 version as to be honest with all the pies I have fingers in at the moment I don't have the time to sit down and work out the 2008 version that is my personal preference.

However I think that new people to the hobby may like 2008 better than us oldies (not in age) as they have nothing to judge the 2008 on.

I (hope) when I attend fairs etc to give impartial information advice on FTM and certainly was at Gateshead selling 2006 to customers esp those looking to update from earlier editions.

My personal feeling is that 2006 will certainly for the time be widely sold and that until Ancestry sort out the problems of 2008 it will be remain so.

Comment

Okies, I took the plunge... 1st off I like the look...bit different.. Have registered it and I have a month extension on my membership.
                                  don't like the fact that there is no homepage facility
                                  Liked the one tree option on FTM 2006. hope they sort that... found that useful.
                                  Will say more when I have played about with it a bit.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I have installed it, put my date of birth in wrong - good start!! Deleted date of birth, now I cant find out how to add it again! Help!
                                    Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

nudged for Michael coming over from GR

Comment

Working...
                                      X