Thomas W George 1842-1914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas W George 1842-1914

I would like to find out some more about this man, he was a draper in Islington, and for some reason he and his brother were left money from Grace Hendy Lugg in her will - and no other family members. He actually dies before he inherited as I have found a newspaper article with them both in it. He then leaves his money to a farmer (gorge surname - not sure who he is) and a Hotel owner.

those with Ancestry can see him here:

in 1881 hahes is a draper and hosier in 118 Upper Street, Islington with his sister and cousin working for him, 1891 with just his sister. In 1901 says he is still an employer but has moved to Lambeth - I assume he still has business, but now got a property away from the business ready for his retirement.

all a long way from Cornwall and the farming that he grew up with.

I fell that there should be some news about the business somewhere.

He is in some trade journals as a glover, hosier and fancy draper. Just found 1885 PO directory where he only has 118 and 116 is a hosier Yates & sons, then in later directories he lists both properties

He isn't helping me by having a surname that is a popular first name!

Maybe I have all there is to know about him.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I would like to find out some more about this man, he was a draper in Islington, and for some reason he and his brother were left money from Grace Hendy Lugg in her will - and no other family members. He actually dies before he inherited as I have found a newspaper article with them both in it. He then leaves his money to a farmer (gorge surname - not sure who he is) and a Hotel owner.
    Have you seen the actual will rather than the probate? The two people mentioned in the probate are simply the executors, they may not have received anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
      Have you seen the actual will rather than the probate? The two people mentioned in the probate are simply the executors, they may not have received anything at all.
      Ordered will yesterday, so waiting to see.

tried searching for address in newspapers, sadly 115 has been read as 116 so many times and they were always advertising! Been using the exclude in the BNA for that name and still not found anything.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I haven't turned up anything either, except that in 1880 he is sharing No. 116 by the look of it (Kelly’s Directory)
        Yates & Sons, Dyers
        George Thos. William Hosier

At 118 is John Maxfield & Co, Sewing Machine Makers

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
          I haven't turned up anything either, except that in 1880 he is sharing No. 116 by the look of it (Kelly’s Directory)
          Yates & Sons, Dyers
          George Thos. William Hosier

At 118 is John Maxfield & Co, Sewing Machine Makers
          Thanks for trying - he just seemed interesting - Was hoping for a few snippets to flesh him out.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

I have his will now, interesting that he was running the drapers shop but owned the farm in Cornwall. Guess he was bequeathed it in parents will, and his sister I think was running it. will look at it in depth later.

No interesting facts on the drapery, only skim read it.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Finally found a piece in the paper about him, local lad made good​​​​​​​
              Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 23.36.46.png

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 23.37.25.png

Attached Files
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Cury is pronounced Curry by the locals which I thought was quite funny. I have also been to the cemetery there and know also of Polurrian Hotel. [whether that is the same as the company I don't know.]

Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have a few gravestones pictured from Cury, but not his, I think I just wandered around and snapped all the Luggs that I could find. he is my G grandfathers cousin so a little way off my line, but him and Grace Hendy Lugg were interesting as they had a bit of money and were not blacksmiths or farmers.

I did a quick google of the 2 stores mentioned and nothing popped up, will search in the papers again.

Hotel looks fab, I am sure I have seen it, a long time since I have been that way. On my list to do.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

If I get there before you do I'll get you a pic
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X