This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Writers' Shed

What do you do when you are running out of people to research and are waiting for some more resources to become available to you?

Many people decide to have a go at writing about their findings. We'd all like to leave our research in an accessible form and there are software packages which will churn out a report for you but they can be very boring so they need tweaking and they do say that there is a book inside us all!
    “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
    Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

The FTF Online Magazine stopped publishing some time ago (Autumn 2010) and we have had many active members joining us since and until now the budding authors among us have no outlet.

Paul's thread on writing your family history, Writing your Family History, was getting visited more often and the 52Ancestors thread was growing rapidly and there was a danger that we would lose track of it all, so we have started The Writers' Shed - a place to share your family stories.

Writing in a vacuum with no audience is a bit sad, and waiting for somebody to notice your Twitter post or for somebody to find your stuff on google or Bing can be dispriting so this will be a way for us to share our own efforts. The intention is to make it open to search engines.

I'm not suggesting that we all critique or even comment on every piece of each other's work, I hung up my red pens years ago and have no intention of starting again, but just to provide an area to pull together writing tips, hints and ideas, and to share our work wherever it might be. Another member's writing might give you an idea that you could use for yourself. We can help each other with using the blog on this site, and with other platforms we use.

It just seems to be the natural progression from what we've always done in FTF - collecting resources, helping each other to use them and now helping to record what we did and acting as a platform for anyone who wants to show us their work.

Dylan Thomas's shed
    CC BY-SA 2.0
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Alongside the writing challenge posts we have collected up hints and tips about writing the articles, advice for hosting your work online and publishing your work in print.
    As you come across any others, please add them to the discussion thread and we will add them in the appropriate place for you.
    Caroline
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There are two sections for collating the writing:
      Caroline

Comment

A new opportunity for sharing your writing is the new weekly threads started by Jill on the A272 - My ancestor was a [Occupation] ~ Contents.
        Caroline

Comment

Working...
        X