How old is this young man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it a templar shield ?

and what are the other three items above it, on his singlet ?

Comment

On Monday I finally made it to the Bodleian library in Oxford to look through my pre-ordered copies of the Penny Pictorial. I ordered Volumes 39-51 which covered 1908-1911 and this was what was waiting for me.

Approximately 500 pages in each volume but, after carefully turning every single one so that I didn't miss anything, I didn't find my swimmer. In a way it was very disappointing but it was also a fascinating insight into Edwardian lives with a wide variety of articles, stories, jokes and cartoons, and adverts. And the trip to the Bodleian Library was a treat in itself.

Here are a selection of pages that will give you a feel for it. I would recommend spending time looking at any old magazines and journals that you can find just for the social history content. I tried to imagine my granny, her parents and her siblings eagerly awaiting the next weekly installment and passing the little magazine around to read the stories and articles. Sexton Blake, the detective, was a regular feature as well as adverts for Bird's Custard and a weekly dress making pattern.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by the_colour_silver_82 View Post
        is it a templar shield ?

and what are the other three items above it, on his singlet ?
        Sorry, I forgot to answer this. I think they are medals of some kind, presumably for swimming.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

what a shame you couldn't find your swimmer - do you think you found the edition in the photo?

We used to have a shop in newport Pagnell that was chockked full of old magazines/programmes/newspapers - he has closed now. i did buy a few just to flick through they were lovely.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            what a shame you couldn't find your swimmer - do you think you found the edition in the photo?
            I don't know about the ones in the picture but I started from Vol XL (40) onwards. Eventually, when the opportunity arises, I will go again and look at the next 6 volumes. And then I might have to admit defeat.

I keep thinking about the possibility that the bound volume on the table was actually a prize but even if it was, I would expect there to be an article about them sponsoring a swimming competition so I'll stick at it for a bit longer.

Comment

And for anyone out there just starting, this is what normally happens when doing research...not the easy research of WDYTYA!!
              Kind regards,
              William
              Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

500 pages per volume - wow! That's an awful lot of looking.

Comment

It was! But all quite interesting. I made a note of a few things which I'll post tomorrow when I have time.

Comment

those books from the early 1900's.
                    wow, what history.

Comment

Working...
                    X