Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is this young man?

Quote Originally Posted by the_colour_silver_82 View Post
    can you find who else wore the same uniform around the same time?
    Gardengirl
    This might be worth a shot if you can zoom and clip the uniform and save to your PC.
    Then - https://support.google.com/websearch...DDesktop&hl=en

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY
    (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    So what were your Frederick's parents names?

Christine
    His father was Frederick Charles and his mother was Lydia Louisa nee Emerson

I remembered where the original was! My cousin on the Isle of Wight has it so no chance of getting a better scan at the moment but I will try that google image search, Christine. Thank you for that suggestion.
    Last edited by Gardengirl; 12-02-20 at 10:07.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Quote Originally Posted by the_colour_silver_82 View Post
    can you find who else wore the same uniform around the same time?
    Could you explain how I can do that? I'm going to try the google image search that Christine suggested. Are there any other ways that I could try?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Did he go to university? If so, which one?

I've looked to see where Tilford is and note that it's very close to Farnham.
    Farnham Swimming Club claim to be one of the oldest swimming clubs in the country and have a history going back to 1893: https://uk.teamunify.com/SubTabGener...stabid_=153498

It might be worth contacting them to see whether they recognise the crest on Fred's costume...
    Kind regards,
    William
    Current focus of research: The Macleods of Lewis, especially those of the Point district.
    Of particular interest are Macleod families with men by the name of Torquil.
    Please see my user page for more detail...and pm me if we might share research!

Quote Originally Posted by wulliam View Post
    Did he go to university? If so, which one?
    No, definitely not. He was married aged 19 in 1911 Q4 and had their first child in 1914.

Quote Originally Posted by wulliam View Post
    I've looked to see where Tilford is and note that it's very close to Farnham.
    Farnham Swimming Club claim to be one of the oldest swimming clubs in the country and have a history going back to 1893: https://uk.teamunify.com/SubTabGener...stabid_=153498

It might be worth contacting them to see whether they recognise the crest on Fred's costume...
    Ah, another great idea. I can't thank you all enough for all these suggestions - it is so helpful so see how some lateral thought can be applied to a problem. These are all things that I wouldn't have thought of but will now add to my knowledge bank for the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Thank you Carolyn and Christine. Unfortunately none of those are the same Frederick. There were quite a few Caesar families around the Farnham area in the 18th and 19th centuries and I guess they were probably all connected originally. The branch that my Frederick is from were around Tilford and Wrecclesham and have an interesting connection with cricket history. I have put an article on my weebly blog about them here https://ourpaststories.weebly.com

Tomorrow I must find the original photograph.
    No help at all, but you mentioned the Farnham area and I thought the name Caesar was familiar - does Sophia Caesar who was briefly the first wife of James Elkins in Wrecclesham ring any bells?

I visited the Tilford museum a while ago:

https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...hlight=tilford - the pictures may not show up as they were on Photobucket but we used several of them in the magazine.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

I’d say he could be even younger. Between maybe 14 to 16. As OC said, his upper body is not well developed and if he is winning medals, you’d expect that in someone who has been swimming for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrys mum View Post
    I’d say he could be even younger. Between maybe 14 to 16. As OC said, his upper body is not well developed and if he is winning medals, you’d expect that in someone who has been swimming for longer.
    I know what you mean, but we mustn't put our modern notions of athletes into this - diet was poorer, training was poorer. I'd put him at 18-22.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Current focus of research: The Macleods of Lewis, especially those of the Point district.
    Of particular interest are Macleod families with men by the name of Torquil.
    Please see my user page for more detail...and pm me if we might share research!