Anti-Virus Software for Windows 10 user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Virus Software for Windows 10 user

Hi. My new laptop came with 3 years worth of McAfee LiveSafe (not free!) which is about to expire at end of March. Can anyone recommend whether to renew with McAfee or to get something different. I have had Norton 360 in the past but it takes too long for computer to actually get up and running. If I were to go with McAfee would it be cheaper to renew while I am still using it or let it expire and buy it online? Many years ago I also used Nod 32 which was quite good then but I don't know anyone who uses it now.
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

My computer man has recommended ESET for years and I see that it is now a Which Best Buy.
    Margaret

Comment

if you are with BT ? you get McAfee free

Comment

Rusty and Val

Thanks for your input. I don't use BT but I will check out the prices for ESET.

Bev
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Kaspersky gets a good name in pc magazine reviews.

Comment

Alternately, if you are using Windows 10, Windows Defender is free and already part of your system so you won't be installing all the bloat that others come with
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
              Alternately, if you are using Windows 10, Windows Defender is free and already part of your system so you won't be installing all the bloat that others come with
              that is what I use
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

To all of you that responded to my original query.

My sister tried Kaspersky but couldn't get to grips with it for whatever reason, so I shall pass on that one.

I finally got an answer from the chappie who sorts out my laptop when I have a problem and he also suggested Windows Defender Antivirus. I had completely forgotten about this one and so I shall revert to that when my McAfee expires.

Thanks to one and all.
                Bev

Comment

Don’t forget that if you do take up a commercial a time virus you can usually pin them down to a deal. A year or so ago I told the Norton people that it was too expensive and finished up with a two year deal at half the price of one year. Instead of 160 bucks I got it for 80 for two years.
                  Incidentally, as soon as the sub runs out I am reverting to Windows Defender.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                  X