Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to this.. what's your checklist?

On the attached link is how I organise my folders and files, within this you will see the checklists that I have made for myself, if you think these will be useful just send me a pm and I will send you over the template.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020...amily-history/
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

forgot to say I add things to my www.ancestry.co.uk tree, and sometimes link to citations on there.
    Carolyn
    http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/home/

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I have a mental checklist. Births, deaths (kill them off before you do anything else, no point looking if they died age 6) marriages. Census if relevant. Parish registers. Google - you would be surprised what comes up. From a simple google of a mis-spelled hamlet name on a census, I found a third cousin I never knew existed and we each had half of the jigsaw.

I agree - record your sources carefully, boring chore though this may be.

OC

I would add scouring the online catalogues of relevant county record offices for references to various documents they hold. I do blanket searches using individual surnames and also village names. Sometimes there are abstracts of certain records and these can contain a mine of useful snippets.
    I reinforce what OC has said about Google - and remember, new online info is added daily, so repeat google searches frequently!
    Free online resources vary from county to county. Lots of resource sites for Norfolk, but many other counties are less well served.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Skipping from one family member to another is mandatory in my book, it's always the sibling of someone I'm looking at who is the interesting one. They are often the only one I can find an a census too!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Research whoever and whenever you like. I jump from branch to branch all the time. Sometimes this is lack of records, new records being added or new info is found. Or just going over old information and realising something once irrelevant now has meaning.....ie wittnesses on marriage records or misrecording of a name at burial.

I have a pair of german ancestors who just disappear from their home city. There is a similarly named couple in the burials of their native city, but the name was wrong for the wife. Turns out the middle name was a corruption of her mother's, and her step father's name was recorded but crossed out. This only became apparent it was the correct record once i learned the mother had remarried.

So always go over old notes and information, you never know what will make sense.

I generally only follow the direct line, and the aunts and uncles. I don't generally bother with cousins, as the tree is enormous enough already. The only time i track down cousins and and any other connection is when the aunt/uncle are difficult to trace, or i can't get anywhere looking back on the family and researching all members often gives information or clues about the direct line. Sometimes you will find out information from people who haven't researched as far back as you, from a collateral line.

Thanks for all the input, I'll be sure to take on board what everyone has contributed