Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1940 US Census ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    But hopefully someone on here will have...

Christine
    Yes, with a little luck thank you for the help Linda, Sarah and you Christine. Most appreciated
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post
    Yes, with a little luck thank you for the help Linda, Sarah and you Christine. Most appreciated
    I've been looking at the newspapers.com site quite a lot over the last couple of weeks for a lot of my Americans and Canadians. Even the snippets can be helpful, but I'm thinking I might take up the free 7 day trial when I have a week with plenty of time for snipping and saving!

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY
    (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Re dying at almost the same time. I don't find it that strange. I have quite a lot of examples of very old couples dying within days or weeks of each other. Several were buried together, the deaths were so close. Quite sweet really.
    Anne

Perhaps they missed the census because they were hospitalised.

This is probably a red herring but thegenealogist shows both a Charles and a Lucy Lydall in Oregon in 1940. My gold subscription level will not allow me to see the detail so I don't even know if they are together. It seems unlikely that they would be so far from home unless they had gone there for the climate for health reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksecretz View Post

hmm in the death index it has lucy too on the next page, a little bit puzzling as they seem to have died together?
    I believe FHCs have a sub, but not sure when I'll next be at mine.

I have a great-aunt and her spouse who died within a day of each other. I was thinking all kinds of gruesome thoughts until I obtained their DCs - both of natural causes.

So, the index page for them on Ancestry (which is mistranscribed, reporting Charles as Charles Lucy Lyddall), shows that their dcs are not on or even right after each other
    Volume Number: 47 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
    Page Number: 247 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
    Index Volume Number: 97

and lucy
    Volume Number: 46
    Page Number: 353

not sure that's significant, tho.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-02-20 at 00:33.

I have also been looking at that index, and a little bit of further search has showed that volume 46 has 502 pages, there appears to be only one entry per page. The entry for Volume 46 page 367 (the closest I could find after Lucy's entry) has a death date of 31 Mar 1940, so it might be that Lucy died sometime in March which was just before the census. Could Charles have been staying with family then?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    I believe FHCs have a sub, but not sure when I'll next be at mine.

I have a great-aunt and her spouse who died within a day of each other. I was thinking all kinds of gruesome thoughts until I obtained their DCs - both of natural causes.

So, the index page for them on Ancestry (which is mistranscribed, reporting Charles as Charles Lucy Lyddall), shows that their dcs are not on or even right after each other
    Volume Number: 47 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]
    Page Number: 247 [corrected, as it was mistranscribed]

and lucy
    Volume Number: 46
    Page Number: 353

not sure that's significant, tho.
    Thanks Sarah, I had done the corrections, but been going bog eyed..
    Julie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgirl View Post
    Thank you Linda, from reading this then she pre deceased him then?
    Julie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
    Re dying at almost the same time. I don't find it that strange. I have quite a lot of examples of very old couples dying within days or weeks of each other. Several were buried together, the deaths were so close. Quite sweet really.
    Anne
    That's true. I guess I'm just not used to seeing deaths in quick succession. [except on my transcribing where I see whole families wiped out by the lurgy]

Quote Originally Posted by webwiz View Post
    Perhaps they missed the census because they were hospitalised.

This is probably a red herring but thegenealogist shows both a Charles and a Lucy Lydall in Oregon in 1940. My gold subscription level will not allow me to see the detail so I don't even know if they are together. It seems unlikely that they would be so far from home unless they had gone there for the climate for health reasons.

ooooo thank you Webwiz.. i'll have a butchers
    Julie