Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coroner's report in the newspapers?

Fell foul of time there but have now found the James and Elizabeth Rowley who are on the 1851 census as Uncle and Aunt are Ann's relations, not John's. James Rowley married Elizabeth Kirkham 1819 St Margaret, Wolstanton.
    Interesting that John's brother William born c.1836 is shown as William H Harrison. He's just plain William in 1841. I will see if I can find a marriage for him.
    Also interesting that one of John and Ann's children is called George.

I assume you have seen the newspaper cutting re Daniels death on Ancestry?

Seems to be a miss Mary Ann Harrison in Tunstall involved in some wrong doings in 1860s in the paper, but can't see that this would be anything to do with yours.
    Carolyn
    http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/home/

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

This is a possibility but no middle name this time 1858 at St John, Burslem. I hate it when the bride and the groom have the same surname but this one also has a vicar called John Harrison. Presumably no relation LOL

HARRISON, William and HARRISON, Mary Marriage Certifcate 1858.jpg

I have found them on 1861 census. They have moved away to 6 Brighton Place, Poulton cum Seacombe on the Wirral peninsula, Cheshire. William was indeed born Tunstall and Mary was born in Burslem. They have two children called Richard (2) and William (11 months) both born Burslem. Interestingly their near neighbours are also in the pottery trade and came from Staffordshire - Burslem, Hanley and Stoke on Trent. Perhaps a new firm starting up or a Staffordshire factory expanding and building a new place?

Quote Originally Posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I assume you have seen the newspaper cutting re Daniels death on Ancestry?

Seems to be a miss Mary Ann Harrison in Tunstall involved in some wrong doings in 1860s in the paper, but can't see that this would be anything to do with yours.
    Is that the 1869 death of Daniel from his injuries at the colliery where the roof caved in on him? If so, yes I have it.

Nothing would surprise me about wrong doings in my Harrison clan LOL My Gt. Grandfather William Harrison has a misspent youth and appeared in a couple of newspaper articles about his court appearances. He ended up spending some time at the Industrial School, Werrington. I have not been able to find records of his admission and discharge but he's there on the 1881 census. One of Daniel Harrison and Ann Colclough's children was Prudence. Not an appropriate name as it turns out. She married a widower much older than herself but that did not work out as they were both on separate censuses before he died. She then turns up still using her married name in a known red light district of Shelton as a lodging house keeper. Her own mother is listed as her servant!! and she doesn't let on she's her mother. She has various occupants in the house that night - 1 female called Julia Booth who is listed as a "visitor" born Burslem and nothing else is written about her; 2 males also described as "visitor" about whom she knows absolutely zilch apart from their ages. The only thing we can think of is she was running a house of ill repute LOL As for her own age, she never, ever told the truth on censuses sometimes she did a "Benjamin Button". She later married again and she and her husband were the witnesses at my Gt. Grandparents marriage.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 10-02-20 at 01:00.