Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Coroner's report in the newspapers?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    where are the rest of the family in 1851?
    I wish I knew Carolyn! I just can’t find them at all. Apart from Daniel that is. He married Ann Colclough 1843 St John, Burslem. Daniel and Ann are my 3xGt Grandparents. Daddy’s mother was a Harrison.
    1851 - Daniel and Ann are living in Chell along with their children William, Serena (shown as Surenor) and John who died 7 July 1851 aged just over 5 months. This is the only census where Daniel and Ann are in the same household.
    I have no idea if Daniel’s parents John and Mary / Mary Ann are still alive in 1851 nor have I a clue as to what became of Daniel’s siblings who were on the 1841 census. There is an age gap of roughly 8 years between John and William so I assume there were some other children who died very young. Charlotte who is the youngest on the 1841 census is the only one where there is a birth certificate so I now know Daniel’s mother’s ms was Dunn.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20 at 17:12.

  2. #22
    I forgot to add that John has been variously described as a dealer in china, earthenware dealer, potter and packer.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20 at 17:36.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ampthill, Beds
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by GallowayLass View Post
    I forgot to add that John has been variously described as a dealer in china, earthenware dealer, potter and packer.
    he maybe on the move then, my husbands family were described as that - settled in South Wales in the end, still dealing china, some forums are saying they were gypsies. But I think by and large they were travelling salesman. and took earthenware around the country.
    Carolyn
    http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/home/

    Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ampthill, Beds
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by GallowayLass View Post
    I wish I knew Carolyn! I just can’t find them at all. Apart from Daniel that is. He married Ann Colclough 1843 St John, Burslem. Daniel and Ann are my 3xGt Grandparents. Daddy’s mother was a Harrison.
    1851 - Daniel and Ann are living in Chell along with their children William, Serena (shown as Surenor) and John who died 7 July 1851 aged just over 5 months. This is the only census where Daniel and Ann are in the same household.
    I have no idea if Daniel’s parents John and Mary / Mary Ann are still alive in 1851 nor have I a clue as to what became of Daniel’s siblings who were on the 1841 census. There is an age gap of roughly 8 years between John and William so I assume there were some other children who died very young. Charlotte who is the youngest on the 1841 census is the only one where there is a birth certificate so I now know Daniel’s mother’s ms was Dunn.
    ahh right, you said that you couldn't find Charlotte, I had assumed you found the others! The plot thickens then.
    Carolyn
    http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/home/

    Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

  5. #25
    Spent ages looking for 1851 and one thing I did come up with was a newspaper clipping

    Staffordshire Advertiser 21 September 1844
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elaine; 09-02-20 at 22:23.
    Elaine

    Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

    http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    Spent ages looking for 1851 and one thing I did come up with was a newspaper clipping

    Staffordshire Advertiser 21 September 1844
    That is a great possibility for Charlotte's mother. Thanks so much. I will order the pdf of the death.

  7. #27
    This is the one I wasn't sure about, but John has a brother William and he is on the high Street, but he is a hairdresser 1851

    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=8296665

    marriage transcription

    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Last edited by Elaine; 09-02-20 at 22:39.
    Elaine

    Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

    http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

  8. #28
    Interesting - she was buried 22 September at Christ Church, Tunstall as plain Mary Harrison (the same burial place as Charlotte. Her death is also registered as Mary.

    If this death is indeed the mother of my 3xGt. Grandfather Daniel, the 1841 census records her as Mary Ann but that's only place I have found the two forenames. It also records that she was not born in Staffordshire county. The only possible marriage I have found is 1818 in Howden, East Riding, Yorkshire. John Harrison, dealer in china to Mary Dunn. I then found a 1796 baptism of a Mary Dunn in Howden to George Dunn and Susanna Jacques - lucky for me that the vicar of Howden kept fantastic registers - he recorded both birth and baptism dates plus mother's forename and maiden surname. John Harrison (potter) and his wife Mary had a son George Dunn Harrison baptised in Howden 1819. This George died in Howden 1838 aged 18.

    However - there is a fly in the ointment because Daniel was born 1824 in Staffordshire as were all the children on the 1841 census. All but Charlotte were born before George Dunn Harrison died. Why would the family be in Staffordshire as early as 1824 and yet the firstborn George (who was only about 5 years old by then) still be in Yorkshire and seems to never have left.

    Unless of course, the John Harrison and Mary Dunn who married in 1818 are not my Daniels' parents. Arggh!!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    This is the one I wasn't sure about, but John has a brother William and he is on the High Street, but he is a hairdresser 1851
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=8296665

    marriage transcription
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    I have found the actual marriage certificate for John Harrison and Ann Hambleton Kirkham - looks good but guess what else turned up also at Christ Church, Tunstall earlier in the same year? A marriage for a Mary Ann Harrison to a James Kirkham. Sadly the two Kirkhams, Ann and James are not siblings but I wouldn't bet against them being related and John getting to know Ann through his elder sibling Mary Ann's marriage. These two marriages could well be my Daniel's siblings.

    HARRISON, Mary Ann and KIRKHAM, James Marriage Certificate 1846.jpg

    HARRISON, Mary Ann and KIRKHAM, James Marriage Certificate 1846.jpg
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 09-02-20 at 23:39.

  10. #30
    I knew I had seen them but could I find them tonight!
    Elaine

    Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

    http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •