Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verify death cert text and possible address lookup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verify death cert text and possible address lookup?

Hi all, I have a death cert I'm hoping someone with better handwriting skills can verify text on for me please.

Also, 18 Charleville Road, Dublin is the address. Is there any way to lookup this address for ~1899 to see other occupants?

Edwin Birch - Death Certificate.png

I'm reading this as:
    1899 Twentieth May, 18 Charleville Road
    Edwin Birch, Male, Widower
    82 years?
    Merchant?
    Cause of death: ???? 4 days certified
    Informant: K Birch, present at death, 18 Charleville road

No idea on the cause of death, can anyone read that?

Thanks!

?? Double pneumonia..... not sure, see what other posters say.
    Jacky

Comment

I think it is acute double pneumonia.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

It’s definitely double pneumonia 4 days certified but I am stumped by the short word in the line above.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
          I think it is acute double pneumonia.
          Acute - well spotted bubblebelle. I can see it now

Comment

20 May 1899 Edwin Birch male widower merchant 82 COD acute double pneumonia 4 days certified. I think the informant is A Birch - probably Annie who is at 18 Charleville as below in 1901 Ireland census.

Did you know he left a will:

This is the daughter Elizabeth mentioned as executor in the 1901 census

1901 census - his daughter Annie, running a boarding house and poultry farm:

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Double pneumonia.. I hadn't actually heard that term before!

Thanks for the additional information Christine.. I'm just starting to look into this family, as I believe I am somehow related (their son was Captain William Birch of the RLM Leinster which was sunk in the Irish Channel).

I'm a little surprised by the low value of the probate, as both Edwin and his wife Eliza were seemingly very successful business people in Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by pearlyred View Post
                Double pneumonia.. I hadn't actually heard that term before!

Thanks for the additional information Christine.. I'm just starting to look into this family, as I believe I am somehow related (their son was Captain William Birch of the RLM Leinster which was sunk in the Irish Channel).

I'm a little surprised by the low value of the probate, as both Edwin and his wife Eliza were seemingly very successful business people in Dublin.
                Yes, low probate value is surprising, as you say.
                I think this is their tombstone in Mount Jerome (inc Captain William Birch) - I don't think the transcription is 100% accurate - not surprisingly given the state of the headstone. I think it is 1899 not 1890 as transcribed so tallies with "your" Edwin.
                Edwin Birch, Gent, of 21, College Green, Dublin, son of William Birch, Gent, married Eliza Worn, of 1, Molesworth Street, Dublin, daughter of William Worn, perfumer, at St. Anne's Church, Dawson Street, Dublin, on 14 March 1848. In the 1851 edition of Shaw's Dublin Pictorial Guide and Directory, 1, Molesworth...

I can't find a death that fits for wife Eliza but this is the marriage that is mentioned:

Unfortunately I can't find baptisms for any of the children.

Headstone also tallies for the death of daughter Elizabeth: her death here:

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

People often disposed of assets prior to death to lower taxes for their inheritors. It could also be he wasn't as financially well off at death as he had been prior or his family would become later.

Comment

Pearlyred,
                    Have you seen this re Captain William Birch - it has a lot of family info.
                    William Birch, Captain and Commodore, Mercantile Marine, RMS Leinster. Lost at sea, aged 61, as a result of enemy action in the Irish Sea on 10 October 1918.

How do you think you are connected to the family? What do you want to verify?

Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Thanks all. Yes, I have the findagrave pages, plus most of the general info stories on William Birch and the Leinster. I'm currently just trying to expand that family out to see if there are other brothers/uncles of Edwin that may have descended to my family.

My mother recalls stories of the family talking about someone in the family that had been a ships captain, that was sunk during the war. She believed it was a Birch, but wasn't 100% sure. There were also stories of her nan riding horses around a farm/estate near London, that she thought was also connected to the same person. The farm had a name resembling a tree.

I spent some time trying to research the captain, and William Birch is the only one I've come up with so far that may fit. I know the family later moved to Wales (The Sycamores) but the location doesn't fit with the tree farm, and I wonder if they also owned property near London.. haven't got that far yet.

Anyway, I do have Birch's in my family.. my great grandfather Leonard Edgar Biggs married Evelyn Maude Birch (b. 1880 Bucks). Her father was James Birch.

I'm slowly trying to figure a connection, if any. If there's nothing there, then it's at least an interesting story to explore more
                      Last edited by pearlyred; 04-02-20, 23:09.

Comment

I also found this which is just a litany of duff information re birthplaces and Nottingham connection, although presumably accurate re the sinking of the Leinster.
                        He supposedly died in 1918 aged 30 but somehow managed to attend Nottingham High School in the 1860s/1870s. Oh dear!

Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

Yes that's pretty inaccurate. I believe the school attendee was likely the captains son, William Birch b. 1888 Liverpool. The age at death would match though I don't believe he actually died that day. He may also have been a sailor, but obviously wasn't captain of the Leinster.

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                          I also found this which is just a litany of duff information re birthplaces and Nottingham connection, although presumably accurate re the sinking of the Leinster.
                          He supposedly died in 1918 aged 30 but somehow managed to attend Nottingham High School in the 1860s/1870s. Oh dear!

Christine
                          Last edited by pearlyred; 04-02-20, 23:19.

Comment

I really have to get better at understanding this old handwriting :D

I think most of this is correct, but that COD again has me stumped..

20 Aug 1909 - 67 Lower Leeson Street
                            Elizabeth Birch, 9 Fitzwilliam Terrace, Rathmines
                            Female, Spinster, 60 years
                            Organist
                            Cause of death: ??? attacks ?? at intervals during a period of 41 years. ???
                            Informant: Harriette Birch, sister, 1250 Upper Richards Road, Putney, London? (Interesting!)

Comment

COD: acute rheumatism attacks occurring at intervals during a period of 41 years. Cardiac valvular disease and D.....? Certified.
                              Sister's address is 250 not 1250 Upper Richards Road.

Christine
                              Researching:

Comment

a couple of Birch deaths from the newspapers, was hoping it may give more details:

birch death Weekly Irish Times 28 August 1909.JPG

Weekly Irish Times 16 August 1930 birch death.JPG

Edwin is also there but no more info
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-02-20, 14:27.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

COD: acute rheumatism attacks occurring at intervals during a period of 41 years. Cardiac valvular disease and D.....? Certified.
                                  Sister's address is 250 not 1250 Upper Richards Road.

Christine
                                  I can't see an attachment but cardiac vascular would seem more reasonable, however valve problems can cause circulation issues and fluid to build up in the lower limbs, a condition that was often called Dropsey/Dropsy back in the day.

I'm taking a stab in the dark without the attachment to look at but using a few bits from certs I've had in the past...……..and my own ongoing medical stuff. I'd like my D/C to say Dropsey as it s something I suffer with but nowadays it's wrapped up in coronary heart disease or cardiac failure as a cause of death.
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

birch death.JPG

I had a look, can't see any more than Christine - attached as a snip and enlarged.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I agree with Christine and wonder if the final word could be dyspnea, it would make sense. I had it in my head when reading cert but had to check spelling which appears to fit with the writing.
                                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Dyspnea definitely makes sense. Link to article explaining the connection https://ims.uniklinik-freiburg.de/en...t-disease.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X