Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Dunnell Norfolk

Hi All

Trying to find info on my 3 x G Grandmother Mary Ann Dunnell born approx 1814 in Weston Norfolk according to 1851 census. Someone a long time ago told me it was Weston Longville.

What I know is she married James Bullman 1st Jan 1840 in Hackford. His father Wm and on marriage cert her father is blank. If you look at the parish record it has William Hills, farmer, as father but added in a different hand.

She died 8 Apr 1851 aged 37 of Phthisis. registered by Ann Blogg who was living with them in 1851 as a nurse. Mary had just given birth to a baby who was buried 2 days after her.

I know all about James Bullman and her life after marriage but not her birth.

Weston Longville, where I have visited, has baptisms for Dunnells but not Mary Ann, and I would presume she was born to a single mum.

I have a book about the parish all about James Woodforde the parson there and he mentions Mrs Dunnell coming to visit him and staying for a meal.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

First thought is she is illegitimate, as her surname is dunnell but her father is hills. Have you looked under hills? Have you also thought dunnell is her step father's name?

Comment

I've looked under Hills and looked for a Dunnell - Hills marriage.

I definitely think she is illegitimate as that was what was on her marriage cert.

Thanks.
      Lin

Comment

Which parish record has William Hills, farmer added in another hand? Sorry I'm not clear what you mean? If someone is suggesting William Hills is her father it might be worth following him up. I have a family of illegitimate children and their baptisms all mention the same man, a farmer, ..... as do the baptisms of several other children in the village! I found the farmer's will and he lists all the children, their mothers and the amount he left them to set up in a trade.
        Anne

Comment

Thanks Ann

I feel sure I looked him up at the time and could find nothing but will have another look later.

His name is on her marriage parish record in Hackford but not on the cert I got from the GRO.

The parish record is on FMP if anyone wants to look.
          Lin

Comment

there is this one, Norwich is about 8 miles from Weston by the looks of it

Says mother is Sarah no father, have you seen this one and dismissed it?

this is the marriage record:

no one can read the surname both FMP and Ancestry have struggled, FMP doesn't seem to have image.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks Carolyn

I had looked at That baptism as it is marked on my history. Had another look and it does look like Dunnel to me.

Then looked for a Sarah Dunnell in Weston and one married John Denny in 1823/4. 1841 has them at Weston St Faiths Norwich. Looked up youngest son James on GRO and MMN Dunnell.

Not sure if she is mine but Mary Ann could have been born in Norwich where Sarah was a servant or Sarah had to leave home. Nothing concrete though.

Just going to see if I can find Sarahs bap and death, will be back.
              Lin

Comment

Well just looke up Sarah Dunnell in Weston.

There is one being baptised 1797, this is the one that married John Denny and died 1886 aged 89.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can tied it all together or if it isn't her how to prove that,

Thanks
                Lin

Comment

Been looking into this Sarah Dunnell and her parents were Henry and Rebecca Fox.

They married in Whitwell which is were Mary Ann Married. Hackford and Whitwell church are literally next to each other and some registers say Hackford with Whitwell.

Doesn't actuallty prove its right but sometimes you have to make decisions pre census.

Thanks for help
                  Lin

Comment

Have you checked all of the weddings, no witnesses that crop up that could link? the mother lived to a good age, I did have a quick look at the papers, but found nothing. Maybe one day in a small village it will be in a paper that is published
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks Carolyn

I had looked at the family before but wasn't sure and since so many death/burials have been in line I have found I had one or two lines that were completely wrong and got a bit frightened to go down the lines.
                      Lin

Comment

I did look at Sarah Girdlestone but didn't get far, there is a marriage of a Henry Dunnell to a Sarah Girdlestone 1825 Colton/Barford

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There is a burial of a Sarah Dunnell 21 Sep 1825 age 28, however, Henry in Colton is from Weston looking at 1851 with Mary

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

he died 2 Jan 1866 looking at the newspapers, Mary 6th Mar, they follow each other in the burial register

baptism to add

There is a marriage in Norwich 27 Jan 1833 Henry widower to Mary Wright single woman, witnesses Mary and William Lawrence

Last edited by Elaine; 01-02-20, 20:44.
                          Elaine

Comment

Not good with Norfolk area, banns and marriage has parish as Honingham
                            Elaine

Comment

this doesn't really help, but thought I would post it, not really sure if it is even for you:

Norfolk Chronicle 05 October 1816.png
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Must apologise to you both Carolyn and Elaine. I did not see your last posts.

Think I got up yesterday and saw the last post was from Carolyn and she was the last one I saw on Sat night and didn't look.

Busy at the mo but will look into posts later.

Thanks again
                                Lin

Comment

Elaine

I have been looking at the same family and have a lot written down which is the same as you have.

The 1851 census for Henry Dunnell has a William Arthurson on and Rebecca, Henrys sister married Thomas Arthurson.

I think I will look at it all again and add to my tree now someone else is of the same thought as me.

Carolyn, not sure yet about the newspaper cutting but will look into it further

Thanks
                                  Lin

Comment

There's some girdlestone wills online too.
                                    Elaine

Comment

I didn't think newspaper cutting was yours, but these things often crop up again.

I am now confused....easily done..

You are now thinking Sarah married Henry Dunnell and gave birth to Mary Ann Dunnell? That would mean she would have Henry as father on wedding cert?

and not Sarah that married Denny?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Sarah Girdlestone married Henry Dunnell, there is a Sarah Girdlestone who is a witness to Sarah Dunnell marrying.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X