Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to next?

Hi,

I'm searching for the birth date of my great grand mother. Her name was Deborah Bowler and according to her death certificate was born in Toowoomba, Qld.

Her rough birth date is around 1877, well after the Queensland registrations were made compulsory. I've made many searches through Qld BDM with no luck. I've left off christian names, allowed any bastardisation of Bowler imaginable, left any town/city off the search, all to no avail. I've also searched through Ancestry.com. Still no luck.

Her father was a very devout Irish Catholic. Is it possible her birth/christening was only done through a church? Even if the answer is yes, I have no idea which church, diocese or whatever to start with, even to get christening records.

As the title suggests, where can I now go to attempt to find her birth details? ANY skerrick of a thread will be helpful.

Many thanks

I haven't got world wide ancestry but if she was the first child could she have been registered under her mothers name. They might have got married a short while after her birth.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Was Bowler her maiden name or her married name? Who were her parents and husband? Did she live in Queensland all her life?

Beverley

Comment

The problem with death certificates is that the informant may not know the correct information, potentially sending you off on a wild goose chase.

What else do you know about her - parents, siblings, spouse etc?

The only Deborah Bowler I can see is mentioned in NSW, parents Thomas Bowler and Catherine/Kate Donovan, who married in Ireland in 1873. Is this her?

It seems Thomas and Kate, plus a son, arrived Queensland 2 Dec 1876. The son was recorded as Timothy, but his baptism seems to have been as Thadeus. They were in Sydney by 1879.

There are a few mentions of her to do with school/exams - St Vincents College, Victoria Street - Sisters of Charity, could there be some records there perhaps?
        Our Catholic schools have come out of the Trinity College Theory of Music examination with, flying colours. The theory papers are written in Sydney in the great hall of the "University and in the ...

THE following children sent up by the Sisters of Charity were successful: — Intermediate Honours : Misses Eveline Benjamin, Ethel Cohen, Rita de Lambert ...

Added: This looks like it: https://www.stvincents.nsw.edu.au/wh...cents/history/
        Last edited by teasie; 27-01-20, 13:07. Reason: added info

Comment

Probably best to enquire with the catholic church to see what records were in or around toowoomba, and see if she was baptised. But there may not necessarily be a baptism, at least as a child. The family may not have been religious.

Comment

could you ask any relatives about what they know ?

Comment

Just because birth reg was compulsory, it doesn’t mean it happened. My own mother was never registered and born in 1928. Curiously, also a Bowler....

Even her baptism was not done until she was in her teens, and I find that even more strange.

Although they were connected with Toowoomba it was through her mother, not Bowlers.

I’ve done a fair bit on Toowoomba families if you need anything apart from the birth. Try the archivist at StPats in Toowoomba maybe for a baptism. Catholic baptisms can be done anywhere in an emergency and by anyone. I’ll take a look around.

Anything else on the death? Spouse, children etc? Sometimes you can work sideways.

Comment

Thanks all, I'll address each reply individually.
                1) Tried her mother's name (Donovan). Didn't work
                2) Bowler was her maiden name. Parents Thomas Bowler and Catherine (Kate) Donovan. She moved to Sydney when she was a child.
                3) See above. Gone through Trove to get info and approached her old school. No luck. My grandfather registered her death. I'm pretty sure he was correct.
                4) OK. Will try the church(es). Will have to do a bit more research if she WAS baptised there, otherwise it will be in Marrickville NSW.
                5) Asked my mum (Deborah's grand daughter) but she knows no more than me.
                6) Interesting about the non registration. Appears the same for her younger brother. See above about christenings to research. Will try St Pats for baptism first. Died in Gosford NSW. Have all her details - where born / died, where she went to school, where she lived in Marrickville, her children, hospital where she died, how she died, where & when she was buried and the funeral home that buried her. Just can't find a birth date. VERY frustrating.

Thanks all. I'm still a relative newby to this. Any help like this means less silly questions and more burrows to explore.

Comment

Do you have her parents on the electoral rolls? My mother’s brother went to his old school in Tassie. No Bowler on the roll. Then found Boland. His mother was hiding from her first husband, and he knew the name of the man she was with, Bowler...my grandfather.

If you have any addresses, feel free to send me a message if you don’t want them up here. I’ll look at electoral rolls.

Comment

There is a Thomas, I think, it’s a bit convoluted with Kate in Marrickville on electoral rolls. 1913. Transcribed as Thijmas.

He is a builder, and it looks like Fernbank St. i know that doesn’t find the birth......but might help later.

Comment

There is a Patrick Bowler born 1879 in Sydney with parents Thomas and Kate

Comment

I suppose you have Kate’s death notice from the paper? It says four children, two died. It mentions “Deb”.

Comment

Found Patricks death in 1880, but no sign of other children. I wonder if they were adopted? Just a thought or not registered. Irish Catholics were a bit scared of the authorities. I’m sure they would be baptised though. Toowoomba cathedral is St Patricks. If you ring them, they will help with how to find records.

Comment

Sacramental records from Sydney are at the state library apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              Found Patricks death in 1880, but no sign of other children. I wonder if they were adopted? Just a thought or not registered. Irish Catholics were a bit scared of the authorities. I’m sure they would be baptised though. Toowoomba cathedral is St Patricks. If you ring them, they will help with how to find records.
                              I guess you have Deborah's marriage in NZ in 1907..marriage to Wallace Milborne Moore.....they went on to become a much respected couple in Gosford, then Marrickville,(quite a few articles in Trove about them). Deborah's surviving brother was Ted (Edward)Bowler, according to Trove. His middle name was Timothy....perhaps he was the child born in Kerry, emigrating with Thomas and Kate to Australia. ('Thaddeus' is frequently used by the Irish as an alternative for Timothy in baptismal records.)Alternatively, he may have been named for the brother born in Kerry who may be the other deceased child.

Beverley

Comment

Non registration could easily occur, both in Ireland and Australia. My own grandmother, b. 1888 in a timber settlement in W.A was not registered, nor the next child. I've not found a baptism either, although the family was R.C. Banjo Patterson's 'A Bush Christening' depicts a pretty common scenario in Oz in the early days.
                                The only record I have of the birth of my grandmother is a page of handwritten entries in a family book where she and her siblings were noted along with their dates of birth.
                                My OH's grandfather WAS registered in Donegal....but the d.o.b was fictitious...his aunt was responsible for the registration of the births of him and his cousin.....but by the time she got around to doing it, it was well past the due date. I have been advised she probably fudged the details to avoid being fined. I would never have known , had there not been a baptism carried out a few months before the child was 'born'. :D

Beverley

Comment

Hi all again.
                                  Harry's Mum - Parents came over from Ireland in the early 1870s. Went to Toowoomba and moved to 15 Fernbank St in Marrickville. Have sort of details for each of the children. Just trying to fill in the blanks. Deb's brother Edward was probably also born in Toowoomba. I've sent an e-mail to St Pats last night. Kids were definitely not adopted.
                                  Macbev - Got Deb's marriage details. They stayed in NZ for a few years. Their first child died as an infant in 1908. My grand father was born in 1909. Both were born in Gisborne.

BTW we may have a very interesting link with Deb's brother, Edward and his married family. Have to fill in some more bits but we may be semi related to a VERY important person in Australian history. More on that if my sources can be proven.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well don’t leave us in suspense. lol. I have a few famous ones I knew nothing about as well. It’s good fun. Lucky Deb married so you had a different name to search. My Bowlers are originally from NZ. Loads of them....

Comment

oh, a bit of "royalty" here have we ??

and not that of british ..

Comment

I found my gggg grandmother was on the first fleet. She married a second fleet convict, and their daughter, my ggg grandmother married Robert Batman, who came out as a child with his convict parents. It was very exciting.

Comment

Working...
                                        X