Can anyone help me find this woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find this woman?

I'm trying to find the identity of my 5x great-grandmother. Her name was either Maria/Marie Oresin/Orizile or other variants. She lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana and had children by a Francisco Casas - I know of at least two daughters: Maria Agata (b.1822) and Carmelita (b.1832).

On the baptismal of Maria Agata (only baptismal I've seen), she was listed with no surname and as "mestizo" except through DNA matching, I've found that through her line lies my African ancestry - specifically Senegambian/Guinean and/or Nigerian.

I've also found some possible DNA ties with the Metoyer family of Natchitoches but I'm not sure.

I've been searching for years now for this particular blip of African DNA and any and all help is welcomed!!!!

Sorry Starqueen I have been looking and cannot see very much at all.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Sorry Starqueen I have been looking and cannot see very much at all.
      Ah, well thank you anyway! There seems not to be a lot of info about this family anywhere, it seems. I guess they just weren't a really prominent family - or maybe just there's not enough records.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
        ... I guess they just weren't a really prominent family - or maybe just there's not enough records.
        Sorry, life is busy right now, and I haven't played much with this or the other related thread, but - yes, BMD reporting this early (pre1880-1900) was often not required (requirements varied by state and even county), records disappeared, or even if "required", people ignored the requirement. Sometimes newspapers were the best sources, but if you had financial struggles, you probably couldn't afford to put the info in the paper, or the paper wasn't reporting on you and yours. I have had some luck with newspapers in the New Orleans area in the late 1800s / early 1900s for someone who was researching their Jewish relatives.

When I looked at the earlier thread, I did wonder if I spotted a person on the 1880 mortaility schedule that might have been your woman - surname was not correct, and she was listed as black.

Since you mentioned African ancestry - is there a possibility that she was a slave? I don't think that individual slaves were named in the census records until after the CivWar. And, of course, listing every member of any household did not start until the 1850 census.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-01-20, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Sorry, life is busy right now, and I haven't played much with this or the other related thread, but - yes, BMD reporting this early (pre1880-1900) was often not required (requirements varied by state and even county), records disappeared, or even if "required", people ignored the requirement. Sometimes newspapers were the best sources, but if you had financial struggles, you probably couldn't afford to put the info in the paper, or the paper wasn't reporting on you and yours. I have had some luck with newspapers in the New Orleans area in the late 1800s / early 1900s for someone who was researching their Jewish relatives.

When I looked at the earlier thread, I did wonder if I spotted a person on the 1880 mortaility schedule that might have been your woman - surname was not correct, and she was listed as black.

Since you mentioned African ancestry - is there a possibility that she was a slave? I don't think that individual slaves were named in the census records until after the CivWar. And, of course, listing every member of any household did not start until the 1850 census.
          Hm, I hadn't thought of that - I may need to look into it, see if I can find anything that way!

Oh really? Do you happen to remember the name of the woman? As I said, I don't know what her surname was since it wasn't listed so it still could be her actually.

Well, I was talking to someone recently who had done some research into Natchitoches families and he told me that the only three reasons her surname would have been left off the baptismal was that she was either a slave, a free person of color, or Native American. But if she was the latter, I don't think they would have listed her as mestizo. I feel like if she was part Spanish, it would have had her surname listed. So her being a slave is very, very possible, I think! Oh really? Hm, well, I've never actually even seen a census of the Casas family to know if she was listed or not but maybe I could find a land deed or maybe a will, some kind of probate record. That may list her - or at least to tell if Francisco owned any slaves.

Comment

Not sure if this is relevant to you BUT I have found a Fransico casas and his mother Consepcion in 1850: San Antonio, Bexar, Texas, USA

there seems to be quite a bit of info.. not sure if you have Ancestry or not.

Source Citation
            Year: 1850; Census Place: Salado Creek, Bexar, Texas; Roll: M432_908; Page: 325B; Image: 324

also a LOT of church records too

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Florencio Casas
            in the Zacatecas, Mexico, Catholic Church Records, 1605-1980

might be more info on Familysearch too.
            Julie

Comment

Not sure if this is relevant to you BUT I have found a Fransico casas and his mother Consepcion in 1850: San Antonio, Bexar, Texas, USA

there seems to be quite a bit of info.. not sure if you have Ancestry or not.

Source Citation
              Year: 1850; Census Place: Salado Creek, Bexar, Texas; Roll: M432_908; Page: 325B; Image: 324

also a LOT of church records too

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Florencio Casas
              in the Zacatecas, Mexico, Catholic Church Records, 1605-1980

might be more info on Familysearch too.
              Ah, thank you so much for this!!! I don't have ancestry actually but I'll look around and see if I can find that info on FamilySearch, I know they have a lot of the same records as Ancestry so they likely have them there! :D

Comment

Ah, I just found it on FamilySearch!!! Is this the one you'd found?
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I'm not sure it's him though because of the birth date: 1830.

My Francisco had a child as early as 1822 so I don't think it's the right one. Although, in all likelihood, it could be a cousin of his.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
                  Ah, I just found it on FamilySearch!!! Is this the one you'd found?
                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I'm not sure it's him though because of the birth date: 1830.

My Francisco had a child as early as 1822 so I don't think it's the right one. Although, in all likelihood, it could be a cousin of his.
                  yes that is one of the ones I found... but I also found this that was on one of the church records: [Ancestry] but whether LDS have the same info I'm not sure

Name: Maria Diega Casas
                  Marriage Engagement Age: 25
                  Record Type: Compromiso Matrimonial (Engagement)
                  Birth Date: abt 1836
                  Marriage Engagement Date: 11 dic. 1861 (11 Dec 1861)
                  Marriage Engagement Place: Monte Escobedo, Monte Escobedo, Zacatecas, México (Mexico)
                  Father: Florencio Casas
                  Mother: Tomasa Cardona
                  Spouse: José de Jesus Granado
                  Entry Number: 166

whether she is related or not I have no idea, BUT the fathers name is Florencio Casas
                  Julie

Comment

yes that is one of the ones I found... but I also found this that was on one of the church records: [Ancestry] but whether LDS have the same info I'm not sure

Name: Maria Diega Casas
                    Marriage Engagement Age: 25
                    Record Type: Compromiso Matrimonial (Engagement)
                    Birth Date: abt 1836
                    Marriage Engagement Date: 11 dic. 1861 (11 Dec 1861)
                    Marriage Engagement Place: Monte Escobedo, Monte Escobedo, Zacatecas, México (Mexico)
                    Father: Florencio Casas
                    Mother: Tomasa Cardona
                    Spouse: José de Jesus Granado
                    Entry Number: 166

whether she is related or not I have no idea, BUT the fathers name is Florencio Casas
                    Oh wow, this I haven't seen before! :O Hm...I wonder. The name is very similar! I'll try to look into this, see if I can find out more! I actually had talked to someone fairly recently and he told me that it was very possible a man named Juan Batista de las Casas could have been Francisco's father - I think he was from San Antonio, Texas, I believe. But before that, he originated from Tamaulipas, Mexico.

Comment

Working...
                    X