Genealogy podcasts anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Yesterday I listened to an episode from The Photo Detective podcast series where she introduced the developer of an online site called MemoryWeb. Allowing for the fact that the podcast was clearly promoting the product, I thought it sounded quite exciting as a way of solving the perennial question 'how do I sort and organise my photos?'

Has anyone else heard of it or used it? It was bordering on 'too good to be true' but I think it might be worth a try. I think it costs roughly the same amount as a basic Ancestry subscription but there is a 2 week free trial available.
    I'm so convinced that MemoryWeb is the way to go with photo organising that I decided to get a subscription today. Hidden in the Episode notes of Photo Detective Episode 73 is a link to get a 12 month subscription with 30% off which came to £53 - that's about £1 a week. Bargain!
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

And it does facial recognition!!!! Woohoo!!
      Does that mean that if you have a photo of an old person where you know who it is and you have photos of younger people where you haven’t a clue who they are, this site could make a match of the faces at different ages?

Comment

Yes, it's not perfect but it does a fairly good job. Certainly finds a person at a similar age in lots of different photos. I'm not sure that it could stretch as far as matching a child to a much older person.
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Thank you Gardengirl.

Comment

Thanks, I will certainly have a look at taking out a trial version, its just finding the time to make use of it enough
            My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I've been adding to it little by little, starting with all the photos that are already on my laptop. I mostly do it in the evenings instead of playing endless games on my ipad! Maybe get a few new ones scanned during the day then upload and sort them in the evening. It's a long tem project!

Comment

Has anyone else tried MemoryWeb yet?

Comment

Some more really good podcasts

and Family Tree Magazine...........

The FT team are here to bring you family history interviews, news, stories, discoveries, research tips and so much more. Get started on your family tree, discover your story, take your timeline back further, and join the genealogy community…

Comment

I’ve recently stumbled across a BBC drama series called Home Front. A bit like the Archers but set in WWI. It’s fiction but based on life of the times and I’m really enjoying it as background understanding of family relationships, social status at the time, issues with unwanted pregnancies etc etc. It’s on BBC Sounds. Has anyone else listened to it?

Comment

I’ve recently stumbled across a BBC drama series called Home Front. A bit like the Archers but set in WWI. It’s fiction but based on life of the times and I’m really enjoying it as background understanding of family relationships, social status at the time, issues with unwanted pregnancies etc etc. It’s on BBC Sounds. Has anyone else listened to it?
                      Yes, I heard a few of them whenever the school holidays were on, I see there were 617 episodes

Comment

I rather like this gentle BBC comedy, Tom Wrigglesworth's Hangups, this episode is about family history - Out of our tree

Comment

I have book marked the Omnibus versions and I’ve just been enjoying them in the afternoons with a cup of tea and a bit of knitting! Unfortunately they don’t seem to be downloadable. I didn’t realise there were so many! It will last me a while then

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                            I rather like this gentle BBC comedy, Tom Wrigglesworth's Hangups, this episode is about family history - Out of our tree
                            Thanks, I’ll bookmark that one, too.

Comment

I have book marked the Omnibus versions and I’ve just been enjoying them in the afternoons with a cup of tea and a bit of knitting! Unfortunately they don’t seem to be downloadable. I didn’t realise there were so many! It will last me a while then
                              I loved Home Front - broadcast between 2014 -2018 to commemorate the centenary of WW1 and was a docudrama set in Folkestone 1914 through to 1918. I downloaded the omnibus to my MP3 Player to listen whilst doing the chores as I do the Archers every week now too. Weekly omnibus lasts for 1 hour and is still available to download:

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That’s interesting that you can download from the webpage when you can’t do it from the BBC sounds app.

Comment

AGRA ( Association of Genealogists & Researchers in Archives) have a series of family history podcasts currently running ...

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for that, Antony.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                                      AGRA ( Association of Genealogists & Researchers in Archives) have a series of family history podcasts currently running ...

These are wonderful, cover all areas of experience, full of great tips and of course they are FREE to listen to! I have listened to them all so far, some great advice from the experts.

Comment

Listen to my recent podcast chat with Australian Author and Family Historian Carole McCulloch we chat all things Genealogy related and my role as the host of ‘Dear Paul’ for Family Tree Magazine

The links are in the blog below

I was recently invited by Australian Genealogist Carole McCulloch, to take part in a podcast interview, to discuss all things Genealogy related and my role as the writer of the ‘Dear Paul&#82…
                                        Last edited by Paulc; 11-04-21, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                          Listen to my recent podcast chat with Australian Author and Family Historian Carole McCulloch we chat all things Genealogy related and my role as the host of ‘Dear Paul’ for Family Tree Magazine

The links are in the blog below

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2021...ateur-podcast/
                                          Snap! Posted in General at the same time.

I'm listening to it right now.
                                          Caroline
                                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                          X