Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 help please

Hi,
    please can anyone help me find grandad reg in 1939 on census. ive looked and cant find him. he's now deceased.

Reginald Edward Haylock born 1903 essex. was married in 1932 to edith lillian barnes, and they had 2 definate and a possible 3rd child by 1939. he has links to sussex (his parents and siater lived there), essex where he was born, chislehurst kent is where was married and children born, norfolk where my mum was born in 1949 - he had left his wife by then, and lastly cambridgeshire where he lived and eventually died.

i have found 1 1939 of chislehurst kent BUT the parents named are not my great grandparents and i have them in sussex at the time, and reginald is listed as single.

there is a good chance he was serving military at the time as in 1938 he was in India, but 1940 he back home.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

When did he die??

The 1939 Register was updated by the NHS until some time in 1991, but not after that.

FMP and Ancestry are slowly updating the Register as they compare with GRO records, note birth was more than 100 years earlier, and as people send in proof (ie death certificates) that someone is dead.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

he died in 1979.

Comment

there is a Edith L Smith ( Haylock ) born 3 May 1913 Married
        living H M Infantry Barracks, Maidstone M.B., Kent, England
        Is this her ??
        Or is she another branch
        Last edited by Janet H.; 23-01-20, 20:07.

Comment

He was born in 1903 so should automatically appear because it is over 100 years ago.
          Some men were on war work or training at the time the Register was compiled and don't appear.
          Sorry I can't look myself just at the moment.
          Anne

Comment

could be, she later married a mr smith in 1953 in kent. according to his army book she was 3rd march 1913 but if only put mar on census and r looks like a y. is reg and the children listed?

reg was in the royal west kent regiment so would link in.

just googled where royal west kent were and they were in maidstone so i would guess it is her.
            Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 23-01-20, 20:22.

Comment

Reg and the children not listed/ Could they be with grandparents ?

Comment

not with reg's parents i know that much, but edith's no idea. thinking about it as they only young (and could still be alive now) would they be blanked out on the record?

please can you add the link to the record?

Comment

Ancestry

Name: Edith L Haycock
                  [Edith L Smith]

Marital status: Married
                  Birth Date: 3 May 1913
                  Residence Year: 1939
                  Residence Place: Maidstone, Kent, England

Sub Schedule Number: 19
                  Enumeration District: DIBT
                  Registration district: 51-53

FMP
                  Ref: RG101/1750D/010/14 Letter Code: DIBT
                  Last edited by Janet H.; 23-01-20, 21:17.

Comment

If he was in the armed forces, he won't appear on the register. Do you have his military records?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      If he was in the armed forces, he won't appear on the register. Do you have his military records?
                      hi,

yes not copies of entries etc i have his red army book and his brown army book as well as his medals. this is how my mum found out she had 1/2 siblings after (their) dad reginald died, as she was the named contact and got all his stuff. 1938 he was in india, 1940 he was. nothing recorded for 1939.

Comment

Working...
                      X