Can anyone read this for me? Charles Booth notebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read this for me? Charles Booth notebooks

I’m revisiting my research on my father’s side and have just relooked at the Charles Booth notebooks for where my great grandfather moved after his father died.

I can read most of it, but am struggling with some words and wondered if anyone could help? I have ...

Vauban Street:

“?: Very poor, costers and casuals. Every door open. ? workers. Women rough and dirty. Children dirty and boots bad. One little boy of about 6 absolutely naked exc. for a pair of boots. Faces filthy. Ob: in map lb (light blue); W&S ?”

George H.Duckworth's Notebook: Police District 32 [Trinity Newington and St Mary Bermondsey], District 33 [St James Bermondsey and Rotherhithe], District 34

I tried to attach a screenshot but it wouldn’t let me, sorry. Thanks so much for any help.
    :D Charney Jo

1st. Very poor,

W & S donn. Not sure with that and don't know the ?workers
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I would say silk workers? but that doesn't seem right for the area. I would check the census and see what sort of workers were there
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the first word is 2ct. Maybe these houses were in courts? back to backs? If you look at the reading for Johns place it mentions a 2ct there too.

Not to sure about the other words I'll see if I can get a snip up for you...

here you go.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-01-20, 13:50.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

can't see any clues on census - this is ref for 1901
          Street Vauban Street
          Town -
          Parish Bermondsey
          Country England
          County London, Surrey
          Municipal ward No 3
          Registration district St Olave Southwark
          Archive reference RG13
          Piece number 396
          Folio 26
          Page 43
          Record set 1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks all. Carolyn, there weren’t any silk workers in the area that I know. There were a lot of leather workers and dock labourers there.

Comment

Julie, they were grim alleyways, so I guess they may have been known as courts.

Comment

I think it is 2st and from looking at entries on previous pages where he refers to 2st houses I am guessing that it might be an abbreviation for 2 storey.

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                  Thanks all. Carolyn, there weren’t any silk workers in the area that I know. There were a lot of leather workers and dock labourers there.
                  can't see any clues on the census, guess it starts with f?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, I thought it said “filthy” but it doesn’t look like the next “filthy”

Comment

Ah, Christine, that makes sense!

Comment

lightbulb moment!!

women were rough and dirty..... still trying to work out the word before that though.. it does look like it starts with an 'F' though...

Good shot Christine re the '2st'. :smilee:

Filn or Fitn ?? definitely an Fi word though comparing letters with others....
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 22-01-20, 16:03.
                        Julie

Comment

W + S = water and sanitation down court.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                            :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

What does that mean Olde Crone? They were slums.

Comment

I imagine it means a cold water tap and a privy in the courtyard.

OC

Comment

Ah, that’s feasible. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                                    I’m revisiting my research on my father’s side and have just relooked at the Charles Booth notebooks for where my great grandfather moved after his father died.

I can read most of it, but am struggling with some words and wondered if anyone could help? I have ...

Vauban Street:

“?: Very poor, costers and casuals. Every door open. ? workers. Women rough and dirty. Children dirty and boots bad. One little boy of about 6 absolutely naked exc. for a pair of boots. Faces filthy. Ob: in map lb (light blue); W&S ?”

George H.Duckworth's Notebook: Police District 32 [Trinity Newington and St Mary Bermondsey], District 33 [St James Bermondsey and Rotherhithe], District 34

I tried to attach a screenshot but it wouldn’t let me, sorry. Thanks so much for any help.
                                    Which page are you looking at?
                                    Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      I would say silk workers? but that doesn't seem right for the area. I would check the census and see what sort of workers were there
                                      The first letter is an F as you can see from other words. Almost looks like 'film' but last letter is an N. Could it be an abbreviation of fitting workers? A garment making speciality?
                                      Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                                        Are you saying this from a position of certainty OC or just hazarding a guess?

From looking at other pages, I think it is an abbreviation for the direction they are taking from street to street as they make their notes. See for example, Spa Road which finishes "out of the S side going west is" and then the next street name.

I'm still at a loss as to the word that looks like "filn" and the references on other pages to types of employment locally don't give me a sudden lightbulb moment, unfortunately. Employment in the poorer parts (which includes Vauban Street) include:
                                        Leather working/tanning, glue, jam (Lipton) and sweet making. There is also mention of a Pearce Duff's factory for black lead and baking powder.

By the way, Charney Jo, thanks for flagging up this resource. The notes and maps are fascinating. When I have the time, I need to have a look for streets in Tower Hamlets, Bethnal Green etc where some of my ancestors lived.

Christine

PS I found something else online which confirms my earlier guess that 2st means 2 storeys. If you see 2.5st (can't do half on iPad!) it means two storeys and basement.
                                        Last edited by Karamazov; 23-01-20, 10:41.
                                        Researching:
                                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
                                        X