Can anyone read this for me? Charles Booth notebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I'm still at a loss as to the word that looks like "filn" and the references on other pages to types of employment locally don't give me a sudden lightbulb moment, unfortunately. Employment in the poorer parts (which includes Vauban Street) include:
    Leather working/tanning, glue, jam and sweet making.
    It is strange - I looked through census too and found only those in quantity, wondered if it was to do with tanning or glue, but can't see any reference.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

could it be fctr for factory workers ??
      avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Was hazarding a guess for W & S. Directions sound more likely.

Not sure about "filn workers", he has already dealt with employment. Could it say "pin workers" meaning the women in the open doorways? (Yes, another guess!) What they were doing is anyone's guess.

OC

Comment

It's difficult because really he is using a form of shorthand of his own. He would understand it but maybe did not expect others (apart from his co-workers) to understand.
          Anne

Comment

Could it be 'kiln'?
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Fibre workers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                Fibre workers?
                Not sure Mary, the more I look at it the more i'm seeing Filo! though I can't see it being that really in such squalid conditions. Though I'm definitely seeing
                F I L
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                  Not sure Mary, the more I look at it the more i'm seeing Filo! though I can't see it being that really in such squalid conditions. Though I'm definitely seeing
                  F I L
                  ha ha - I saw that too, it must be an abbreviation/shorthand for something, what a mystery. I looked back and forth on neighbouring pages and no one else seems to do it - just that street!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    ha ha - I saw that too, it must be an abbreviation/shorthand for something, what a mystery. I looked back and forth on neighbouring pages and no one else seems to do it - just that street!
                    almost as awful [but still havent managed to solve it] the 1851 census for my grt x3 grandad and his family where the enumerator decided it'd be a great idea to abbreviate all of them!!
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X