My Heritage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Heritage?

Does anyone use this site? I've just had an e-mail offering me 50% off their complete plan which sounds good, but, they seem to have two prices for their plans, (£169 for the first year then £189 a year after that) so which does the 50% come off and at the end of the day is it worth it saying that I've just taken advantage of an Ancestry offer. One thing that did strike me as a bit odd is that they are offering a 14 day free trial which finishes on the 27th Jan?!?!?!

When My Heritage first appeared there seemed to be a lot of negative comments but now such a lot of people seem to use them that I presume that they are as 'legitimate' as Ancestry, they certainly seem to have a lot of users. I think that I am more interested in putting a tree on there and getting contacts than using their databases.

Anyone have any comments. either good or bad?
    Margaret

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that MH is part of Ancestry anyway?...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that MH is part of Ancestry anyway?...
      Nothing to do with each other.

They are legit but their record collections are nowhere near as useful as FMP or Ancestry for UK. They do more with DNA tools and you can upload your DNA from Ancestry to use it (for a fee now).

They do a strange thing called Discovery where they offer you a match along with their relations as a complete branch/family - you can either accept it in which case it ALL gets added to your tree, or reject because all or part of it is wrong and then you never see it again, you can't select individuals to look at and you can't see it in context either. IMHO worse than ancestry hints and makes for very inaccurate trees!

I find it is very expensive even to keep a tree on there but if you don't you can't see any trees from any DNA matches.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Doesn't sound too good then, I think that I'll give it a miss and stick to what I've got. Thanks Caroline and Julie.
        Margaret

Comment

Ahh thanks Caroline. I do remember that there was a site that had Ancestry trees that you could search.. a massive to do at the time as folks were worried about their trees.. I can't remember the blooming name though!!
          Julie

Comment

Julie ............

I also remember that site, and can't remember the name!! It was free, but allowed complete access to all trees on Ancestry.

You could have your tree private, because there was so much furor about copying.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Me too and have racked my brains but can’t remember its name.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                Me too and have racked my brains but can’t remember its name.
                Rootsweb?

Comment

I can't remember what I had for breakfast nowadays let alone site names but I did have a tree on My Heritage (I think) and had thousands of matches to my Goulson line, the problem was I could never contact anyone as nobody paid the sub. I worked out it's the Manchester based branch that largely went to South Africa in the last couple of decades.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

It was called Mundia. Dunno where it went!

OC

Comment

Mundia!!!

Ancestry took it down after 2 or 3 years.

Something tells me that they were losing money because it was free so people ddin't have to join Ancestry to see trees ;)

I googled, and found the following

Mundia.com was started in 2008, and seemingly disappeared around 2013 ....... but it never seemed to go beyond the Beta version.
                      Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-01-20, 00:08. Reason: adding informaton
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        It was called Mundia. Dunno where it went!

OC
                        That’s the one! Well remembered OC
                        You did get free access to ancestry trees but it was terribly clunky to use. I wonder if it would come up using the Wayback Machine?
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 21-01-20, 00:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                          I can't remember what I had for breakfast nowadays let alone site names but I did have a tree on My Heritage (I think) and had thousands of matches to my Goulson line, the problem was I could never contact anyone as nobody paid the sub. I worked out it's the Manchester based branch that largely went to South Africa in the last couple of decades.
                          They started out with free online trees and then they moved the goalposts, charging a lot of money just to have the tree there if it got to a certain, not very big, size so I expect like me they didn't pay up and without paying, you had no access to your tree never mind the message system!

They are also not very transparent about costs. I was caught out as I hadn't realised my special deal - when I eventually went back to try again - was actually for two subs, one for tree and one for data (records). It took several phone calls two years running because they automatically renewed it when it wasn't current before I could finally rid of the data one. I have just tried to find out what it will cost to renew my tree only one but they aren't telling! They also charge PER tree.

BUT because I had uploaded my DNA kits before they started charging for that in December, I still have access to their DNA tools for free - they promised that would be for ever.

UPDATE: I finally found somewhere with all the prices:

Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                            Mundia!!!

Ancestry took it down after 2 or 3 years.

Something tells me that they were losing money because it was free so people ddin't have to join Ancestry to see trees ;)

I googled, and found the following

Mundia.com was started in 2008, and seemingly disappeared around 2013 ....... but it never seemed to go beyond the Beta version.
                            I think that it was all the todo over this that put me off Ancestry.
                            Margaret

Comment

I guess that's the name though I don't remember it!..
                              Julie

Comment

i have a tree on mh but havent subscribed. I find it wrong that you have to subscribe to see a record match on familysearch which is free anyway

Comment

however there relativity of theory is available for dna matches and non subscribers

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                    They started out with free online trees and then they moved the goalposts, charging a lot of money just to have the tree there if it got to a certain, not very big, size so I expect like me they didn't pay up and without paying, you had no access to your tree never mind the message system!

They are also not very transparent about costs. I was caught out as I hadn't realised my special deal - when I eventually went back to try again - was actually for two subs, one for tree and one for data (records). It took several phone calls two years running because they automatically renewed it when it wasn't current before I could finally rid of the data one. I have just tried to find out what it will cost to renew my tree only one but they aren't telling! They also charge PER tree.

BUT because I had uploaded my DNA kits before they started charging for that in December, I still have access to their DNA tools for free - they promised that would be for ever.

UPDATE: I finally found somewhere with all the prices:

https://tenaciousgenealogy.com/myheritage/
                                    It makes my efforts searching for birth family look easy compared to their pricing system.
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                    X