This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

I have been reading about this and thought some of you might be interested in having a go!

When we had the magazine many of us wrote about ancestors which we may not have done otherwise. Some of us have blogs, or websites which we add to regularly or rarely. Maybe you've always wanted to write a book for your family or yourself.

Personally, I would write more if I could think of what to write about so this might get me going or at least give me ideas/starting points so maybe you might be inspired as well.

You don't need to publish it online but maybe you might want to join in on here or just follow it on your own ... (No, I'm not intending to start up the magazine again!)

Anyway for what it is worth here is the introductory video:

Family history is better when it's shared! 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks is a series of prompts to help you share the discoveries you've made in your genealogy.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I'll keep the list updated - the week begins on a Wednesday:

Week 1
    : Fresh Start

Week 2: Favourite Photograph

Week 3: Long Line

Week 4: Close to Home

Week 5: So Far Away

Week 6: Same Name

Week 7: Favorite Discovery

If you are super keen, you can find the prompts all over the internet as this has been running for several years now, but I won't post the whole list so as to give us an element of surprise as well as take the pressure off!
    Last edited by Caroline; 14-02-20, 12:14. Reason: UPDATED and added caveat
    Caroline
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Some people post links on Twitter - these may give you some ideas too.

Twitter: #52Ancestors

It's not the first time that it has been done, so you can find them all over the internet.

No Story Too Small

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy
      Caroline

Comment

What a great idea, Caroline.

When does Week 1 start?
        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 18-01-20, 12:16.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
          What a great idea, Caroline.

When does Week 1 start?
          It is week 3 now but of course you can start when you like!
          Caroline

Comment

Sorry, Caroline, I thought you meant we were doing it on here.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

sounds like a good idea - I am not sure I have 52 stories that I could do, we could post on here if we have done one?

although I am not sure I fully understand what week 1 means! :(
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                Sorry, Caroline, I thought you meant we were doing it on here.
                Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                sounds like a good idea - I am not sure I have 52 stories that I could do, we could post on here if we have done one?

although I am not sure I fully understand what week 1 means! :(
                It's up to you. If you want to post here you could, or post a link to your own site. We can see how it goes and then sort out the details later on! Maybe collect them onto Reference Library pages? Maybe just themed threads on here with a separate board? I thought I'd see what the response might be.

Looking at Twitter, it could be an emigration theme, or your own personal fresh start - or in my case my new resolution (again) to try to write something every week ..
                Caroline

Comment

It’s great! I have it as one of my genealogy goals for this year as I have previously started but not finished it. But remember you can do as little or as much as you want each week and you don’t have to do every single week!

Here is my Week 3 “Long Line” story.

One of my Genealogy Goals for 2020 is to take part in the wonderful series of Family History prompts from Amy Johnson Crow, the #52Ancestors in 52 weeks challenge. This week’s prompt is “Long Line”…
                  My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    It's up to you. If you want to post here you could, or post a link to your own site. We can see how it goes and then sort out the details later on! Maybe collect them onto Reference Library pages? Maybe just themed threads on here with a separate board? I thought I'd see what the response might be.

Looking at Twitter, it could be an emigration theme, or your own personal fresh start - or in my case my new resolution (again) to try to write something every week ..
                    sorry I meant we could post a link when we have done
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

sorry I meant we could post a link when we have done
                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                        It’s great! I have it as one of my genealogy goals for this year as I have previously started but not finished it. But remember you can do as little or as much as you want each week and you don’t have to do every single week!

Here is my Week 3 “Long Line” story.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020...-firefighters/
                        good story, not sure I have a long line of anything, but do have a short line of Blacksmiths, so will put 'pen to paper' in a while

In the mean time I did publish this page which has my favourite links on, and I plan to expand. As I come across great resources and I forge them!
                        so will say this is Fresh start - http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/resources/
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

OK - sure this won't last - but I have taken up the challenge and here is my 'long line' a bit tenuous to a long line, but the best i can do:

Favourite photo I will have to come back to!
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

OK - sure this won't last - but I have taken up the challenge and here is my 'long line' a bit tenuous to a long line, but the best i can do:

Favourite photo I will have to come back to!
                            I've set up my pages with my favourite cupcake ipsum but then I got distracted and now I'm watching football. :D
                            Caroline

Comment

the beauty of it is that you don't have to do something every single week, you can do as much or as little as you want. Anything that you do is a bonus.

Comment

I think I will try and do something once a month, as I don’t have that much content!
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I'm adding the titles at the top of the thread as they come up, but haven't got any further with my own yet as other things got in the way.

But Saturday could well be my fresh start with the writing as well as the (insert opinion here) political changes ... the trouble is, I think I've pretty much written about the interesting/obvious people already so am thinking of sticking a pin in and seeing what comes up.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Thanks for organising this Caroline and updating the weekly topics. Like I said anybody can join in anytime, you can do as much or as little as you want and you don't have to do something every week.

Comment

I forgot to check back, will do a one at the weekend.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

ive not heard of this before, however that wont stop me. ive set up a new blog to post them to and can use for other family tree bits
                                        **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X