Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married by special license

Hi

Is there any way to find out why a couple may have got married by special license?

I'm thinking pregnancy or wartime. This happened in 1928. They were 23 and 21

Thanks

Have you got a copy of the marriage certificate? Sometimes the clue is in the location of where the marriage took place.
    I don't think you are going to come across any documentation as to precisely WHY a couple chose to marry by special licence.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I married by special licence because we wanted to marry out of area without a residential requirement.

OC

Comment

I don't think there were any wars in 1928, at least not in the UK

The usual reasons seem to have been an underage person, marrying out of the residential area, wanting to get married without the usual 3 weeks of Banns being called. The latter could have been for any of a number of reasons, including maybe one spouse having to leave the country
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If it was pregnancy you should be able to search for children.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-01-20, 21:55.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have a couple married in 1932 in NSW under marriage act 15 of 1899, which appears to have been created to legitimize some previously defacto type arrangements and possiby the status of children from these circumstances
            Brian
            avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
            researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

People were in the armed forces so for example somebody in the Navy might have been posed anywhere so might want to marry by special icence before rejoining a ship.

janet

Comment

I know a couple who married by special licence out of area to avoid a disgruntled ex turning up!

OC

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions.
                  No children registered within a period of time which could suggest having to legitimize things, of course the baby could have miscarried.
                  Not in the armed forces.
                  They both give the same address so could be attempting to make things look presentable.
                  The marriage area is the same as their home address.

More work to do, thanks all
                  Amanda

Comment

Hubby’s lit were all married by licence. I think because they were non-con and married in C of E.

Comment

It is not uncommon for spouses to give the same address.

For example, if one lived in one parish and the other in another parish, Banns would have to be called in both parishes ................. and cost money. So one partner could leave a suitcase with the other, without moving into the residence, and after a certain period of days or weeks, that counted as residence. Thus saving money.

Or it might have been a place that rented out rooms, so they had the same address but not living together.

Of course they could have been living together ...... but it is not the only reason, so be careful of making assumptions.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yes, when banns were published, people often gave the same ddress, but the point of marrying by licence is that banns do not have to be called.

Perhaps they were living together andpresenting themselves as married, thus not wishing to draw attention to the fact that they weren't.

OC

Comment

OC ......... I was just applying the same concept to obtaining a special license. Maybe they thought it would be easier to be in one parish when making the application.

Comment

Would it be possible to look for Electoral Rolls for that area, and see if they were living together before the marriage??

Comment

Probably wouldn't show on the electoral roll as 1928 was the first year of universal suffrage although it might depend on when her birthday fell of course.

OC

Comment

Thanks again, all

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                X