Anthony Harland, miller, untangling a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Harland, miller, untangling a will

This chap may or may not be related to my husband's Harlands, he has a fine box tomb at Horsted Keynes and I've been past his watermill on the edge of Lindfield dozens of times so I thought I'd transcribe his will for the Sussex Family History Group. Opinions please on the ship name, googling for what I think it says doesn't bring up any matches.

Link to full will

How about HMS Imperieuse
    I do think the first two letters are Im ..... as are a lot of RN ships. Google cam up with a list and this looked possible.
    Edit ..... hmmm looking back at the image I'm not sure! Maybe the scribe wasn't either.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 14-01-20, 08:29.

Comment

is the first part of the word an s (f) as it is looking like messuage in the line below, so a double ss?

Like Anne says - It does look like the scribe didn't know how to spell it and has started trailing off!

what is the date of the will? I am assuming that the ship may not be current at that time, and that he was the captain? now retired?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It looks like Importunea, but that is not a name which appears on the list of RN ships unfortunately

Comment

might be on the wrong track completely, but there is this will on Ancestry for John Harland, you may already have this anyway. Was hoping to see the ship mentioned elsewhere, different name on this one. I don't really understand what it is he is doing? does he own it? he says the bounty from the ship

ship john Harland.JPG

ship.JPG
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

It is a Naval ship as it say 'His Majesty's Ship ... Im.........'
            Anne

Comment

Thankyou all. Sussex Maid you read it as I did - but could find nothing further. It's a register copy of the original will so may not have been completely accurate, the will already has some spelling mistakes underlined at the time of writing so it may not be accurate.

Thankyou for finding John Harland the mariner's will cbcarolyn, I will investigate further.

John Harland the mariner and his son John may have been relatives of Anthony's third wife Avis who was a widow when they married, and whose maiden name was also Harland. She left a will too which I am also working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                It is a Naval ship as it say 'His Majesty's Ship ... Im.........'
                Anne
                I didn't understand why he says 'bounty' from the ship in the will excerpt I posted.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Volunteers received a bounty payment, press-ganged men did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    Volunteers received a bounty payment, press-ganged men did not.
                    as they say every day is a school day thanks Jill, interesting title for it too, did it then get inherited?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

It seems he left his bounty, prize money and allowances. The will is dated 9 Feb 1763 but the Basilisk was captured and the captain & many crew were killed on 29 Oct 1762 so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Comment

It starts with an 'i' then an 'n' or 'm', maybe an 'f'? Then i think two letters which are difficult to make out, but i think it may be two words....the second one looks like 'sussex' to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          It seems he left his bounty, prize money and allowances. The will is dated 9 Feb 1763 but the Basilisk was captured and the captain & many crew were killed on 29 Oct 1762 so I'm not sure what to make of that.
                          I have just added to the puzzle, sorry!

Where is the best place for a full list of the ships ?

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

there are naval records on find my past for John:First name(s) JohnLast name Harland
                            Sex Male
                            Year 1796
                            Rank Landsman
                            Vessel Russell
                            Pay book number SB 994
                            Relationship Wife Elizabeth
                            Remarks Discharged 15 October 1796 to HMS Impetueux
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

maybe my eyes are tired, but I can't see how the transcription ties up with the image

so maybe not right, even though the ship name is similar to the letters
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-01-20, 00:06.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

and clearly dates are too late...

NB Basilisk was used on many ships
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you all, I'm going to go with the spelling on the will as it is, then add a footnote with all the information that you have all found regarding the ships names and John Harland's naval record.

Comment

More of the will may help but my thoughts are that the ship starts with "J". It is identical, to me, to the J for both John but There may be some I's elsewhere. Just my two penny worth (not much!)

Comment

Working...
                                      X