No announcement yet.

Trying to find family in New Orleans??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find family in New Orleans??

Hello! Recently, I have found the parents of some ancestors I've been looking for but I want to try and get further than that if possible. And also, if there's any info of them out there anywhere.

The ancestors in question are Meregildo (name varies) Flores (b.1805/1815) and Carmelita Casas (b.1832).

Both for a time lived in New Orleans before moving to Natchitoches Parish, LA with their son, Domingo, and then back again to New Orleans where, I believe, Carmelita, must have died. They married there in 1871, although they were together for at least 11 years prior to marriage. Anyhow, after Carmelita passed, Meregildo moved back to Natchitoches to live with his son.

Meregildo's parents were José Anastacio Flores and Maria Juliana Longoria. Both were from Mier, Tampaulitas, Mexico.

But the ones I have more of an interest in at the moment are Carmelita's parents. According to my DNA, she was part Creole and I believe she was born in New Orleans.

Her parents were Francisco Casas and Orizile (maiden name unknown).

I have the marriage license for Meregildo and Carmelita here:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...e=g&cc=1807364

Based on the name, I feel like Francisco was likely also of Mexican or perhaps Spanish origin but Orizile, on the other hand - her name sounds French.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

I found some alternate spellings of these names in case it's helpful!

For Orzile: Aurelia, Aurezile, Auedile, Oresile, Auredile, Oresite, Orezile, Orezille, Orasile, Orazile, Orlezine, Orsule, Aurelide, Nazile, Auresile
    For Carmelita: Carmelite, Meleet, Melite
    For Meregildo: Mexegeldo, Mary, Mary Hill
    For Domingo: Domingue, Dominique

Again, any and all help on this would be VERY VERY much appreciated!

Comment

What records have you got? Births, deaths, marriages? Census records? Wills? Land records?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        What records have you got? Births, deaths, marriages? Census records? Wills? Land records?
        I have some. I've found more documentation of their son, Domingo, than anything though, I'm afraid.

Apart from the marriage license I supplied, I also have found them in a few censuses.

Those are as follows (I also listed Meregildo's birth years on this):

1860 Census as M Floris and C Floris in Natchitoches, LA - birth year as 1815, age 45 on Sep 8
        1870 Census as Mary H Flor and Carmelite Flor in Natchitoches, LA - birth year as 1804-1805, age 65 on July 22
        1880 Census as Mary Hill Haris in Natchitoches, LA - birth year as 1830, age 50 on June 26th (misspelling on the surname there, also Carmelita is missing since she evidently passed prior this census)

I've also found two possible listings of him - one in St Bernard Parish near New Orleans and one in New Orleans.

Freedman's Bureau, Records of Freedmen from 1865-1872 as M Flores
        1840 Census as M Flores in New Orleans, LA

I don't have any other listing of Carmelita anywhere though, I'm afraid.
        Last edited by StarQueen; 11-01-20, 05:00.

Comment

I found more information! Apparently, Domingo was born in Cloutierville, Natchitoches Parish, LA on August 4 , 1846. Therefore, it's very possible Carmelita and her parents were from that same area as well.

Comment

In my opinion, the age is transcribed incorrectly for this record:
            Name: Carmelita Valery
            Race: Black
            Estimated birth year: abt 1824
            Birth Place: Louisiana, USA
            Death Date: Jul 1879
            Cause of Death: Senile and debility
            Census Year: 1880
            Census Place: New Orleans , Orleans , Louisiana, USA
            Line: 26

The address appears to be "#288" altho the middle number is a bit ambiguous, might be a '6' or a '5' or ...???

Did she have a middle name? If it was Valery, perhaps the enumerator misunderstood, and thought it was the surname.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-01-20, 02:21.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
              Carmelita Casas (b.1832)....
              They married there in 1871...
              Apparently, Domingo was born in Cloutierville, Natchitoches Parish, LA on August 4 , 1846.
              It's certainly possible that Carmelita was a mother at age 14 of Domingo...and that they waited until 1871 to marry (when Domingo was 25)...

So, how do we know that she is the mother of Domingo?

Could you post links to the censuses that you've found, please?

and - the previous post doesn't work well, if that Carmelita was age 85 like I think.
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-01-20, 02:38.

Comment

This might be them in 1870
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

but in this census, there's only 7 years age difference before Carmelita and Dominique.

Comment

One of my ancestors in London evidently married young, couldn't divorce, so he lived with the mother of his children. They were married several years after the last child was born - apparently, wife #1 had died. Your couple may have had similar difficulties, explaining the later marriage.

It pays to be flexible about age ;) I have a g'uncle whose calculated birth years span at least a decade.

In the 1870 census, "Mary" said he was born in Mexico, but now a US citizen. Possibly the records still exist (Declaration of Intent and the Naturalization), but pre-1906 naturalization records often do not lend light. Also - if he immigrated with his parents, his father could have naturalized and the family was accepted without even naming them.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-01-20, 06:30.

Comment

Working...
                  X