Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your family history goals for 2020??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Anne - 2nd world war!!

We have both been wondering about the wrong side of the blanket i.e. NPE both of you The trouble is....how to prove it one way or the other. I have a DNA match with a cousin on my maternal side but my paternal cousins don't want to have it done. On his side he didn't know much at all as his father died when he was young and they moved away from the area.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

have you uploaded your DNA to all the different sites to maximise your match potential?
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

No Paul, I'm a total novice with the DNA yet. Am not terribly well at present and not really up to studying anything new in any depth.

Comment

Depending on who you have tested with, but you can upload your Data to additional sites for free. GedMatch for example or My heritage or Family tree DNA. Have you tested with Ancestry?

If you're not up to it just yet, wait until you are feeling better, but either way I will try to help you as much as I can if you want.

Comment

Just before Xmas I managed to get back in touch with a half sister, since then there's been a lot of snippets going both ways. Paul (another sibling from her little batch), moved away from the family back in the 60's and I was given the task of trying to find anything I could about him. Two marriages, four kids, four grandchildren and two great grandchildren later I found his death record in 2017. Yet another sibling from her little batch, Lee, passed away last year. I didn't get to meet either of them but yesterday I received video of photographs and some phone footage featuring Lee. I feel I missed out more not meeting him than either of my birth parents, maybe it's because it was a video and there are only photo's of my birth parents.

Last year I found a half brother based on some details from a letter written in the 50's. I'm trying to trace him but having no luck. I'm on a deadline with the health heading down fast and after some more recent news there are allegedly another 3 half siblings to find. I'm thinking DNA might be worthwhile, even if there are no results now they could stand for someone to find in the future.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

DNA is definitely worth a try, you will be really surprised at the results. You have every chance of finding a distant cousin that with the help of some good genealogy detective work, will link you back hopefully to your half brother, its well worth a go honestly.

Take an Autosomal test with Ancestry they have by far the biggest database (15 million) plus you can upload your data to may other sites for free

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              Just before Xmas I managed to get back in touch with a half sister, since then there's been a lot of snippets going both ways. Paul (another sibling from her little batch), moved away from the family back in the 60's and I was given the task of trying to find anything I could about him. Two marriages, four kids, four grandchildren and two great grandchildren later I found his death record in 2017. Yet another sibling from her little batch, Lee, passed away last year. I didn't get to meet either of them but yesterday I received video of photographs and some phone footage featuring Lee. I feel I missed out more not meeting him than either of my birth parents, maybe it's because it was a video and there are only photo's of my birth parents.

Last year I found a half brother based on some details from a letter written in the 50's. I'm trying to trace him but having no luck. I'm on a deadline with the health heading down fast and after some more recent news there are allegedly another 3 half siblings to find. I'm thinking DNA might be worthwhile, even if there are no results now they could stand for someone to find in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                DNA is definitely worth a try, you will be really surprised at the results. You have every chance of finding a distant cousin that with the help of some good genealogy detective work, will link you back hopefully to your half brother, its well worth a go honestly.

Take an Autosomal test with Ancestry they have by far the biggest database (15 million) plus you can upload your data to may other sites for free
                That's good to know, I've read a few things and it's still like the Black Arts to me. I have a few stunted branches in the tree that would lead down to anything from probably 3rd cousins onwards too so there's always that aspect to look at too.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If you need any help with anything don't hesitate to give me a shout

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                    Depending on who you have tested with, but you can upload your Data to additional sites for free. GedMatch for example or My heritage or Family tree DNA. Have you tested with Ancestry?

If you're not up to it just yet, wait until you are feeling better, but either way I will try to help you as much as I can if you want.
                    Yes Paul, I did my DNA with Ancestry. I really appreciate the offer and once the docs get on top of my problem and I am feeling up to it I will no doubt be asking for help - THANK YOU p.s. You might regret the offer as my techno skills leave a lot to be desired

Comment

Honestly it’s not a problem Christie, happy to help.

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Yes Paul, I did my DNA with Ancestry. I really appreciate the offer and once the docs get on top of my problem and I am feeling up to it I will no doubt be asking for help - THANK YOU p.s. You might regret the offer as my techno skills leave a lot to be desired

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        That's good to know, I've read a few things and it's still like the Black Arts to me. I have a few stunted branches in the tree that would lead down to anything from probably 3rd cousins onwards too so there's always that aspect to look at too.
                        That's why we started a DNA board - you may not have come across it yet, but there's lots of useful information and tips there. (Funnily enough I was remembering the olden days when we first started making all the pages just the other day.) :D
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

if anybody needs any help with DNA don't hesitate to ask!

I am by no means an expert, but I might know somebody who might know the answer to your question!

Comment

Working...
                          X