Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your family history goals for 2020??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your family history goals for 2020??

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you are all feeling rejuvenated for a good year digging up your past! I like to set myself some targets and goals each year, some I achieve and some I don't, but it helps to try to maintain some kind of focus.

Here are my goals for the year, feel free to share yours.

Yes it’s that time of year again already! I can’t believe how quickly this year has flown by, but I guess that’s a sign of getting old! So the first thing we should do, before setting a…

Also, I have given my blog website a little bit of love and care as it looked a little bare. I was happy with the content of the blogs, but not how it was presented on the website. Anyway hope you like it, appreciate any feedback both positive and negative, thanks.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

That was a good read, Paul. I was particularly interested in your paragraph about organising photographs.

Inspired by the wonderful talk at HASHTAG RootsTechLondon by the amazing Amberly Beck on how to organize your Family History Photographs, I need to really improve the structure that I have already in place and utilize some of the great suggestions that Amberly makes in her presentation.

This is currently near the top of my To Do list and I was going to ask on here if anyone could tell me a good system for this. At the moment I am struggling to work out a manageable system that works for paper copies and digital ones. Is there any online information from this talk or any other suggestions?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I love the newspapers, and used to search using the BNA website and then the library to download the articles. I have now taken up FMP sub and use that site for the papers now So guess you are right you have a bit of an overlap.

What I can't get to grips with is the sheer number of publications being added, and I try to read through the list of publications added. I think I need to set a goal to keep up with them and maybe have some saved searches for some of the key people in my tree.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
        That was a good read, Paul. I was particularly interested in your paragraph about organising photographs.

Inspired by the wonderful talk at HASHTAG RootsTechLondon by the amazing Amberly Beck on how to organize your Family History Photographs, I need to really improve the structure that I have already in place and utilize some of the great suggestions that Amberly makes in her presentation.

This is currently near the top of my To Do list and I was going to ask on here if anyone could tell me a good system for this. At the moment I am struggling to work out a manageable system that works for paper copies and digital ones. Is there any online information from this talk or any other suggestions?
        Thank you for your kind words, the talk that I attended at rootstock and what has inspired me to sort my photos out was by Amberly Beck, the link to her site is here

Accurately Reviewing and Attaching Record Hints in FamilySearch — Learn how to carefully review record hints on FamilySearch.  Learn when to attach, declare “not a match”, or do more research befor…

Comment

They are both slightly different in the way that you search the indexes, in theory they should be identical, but the same search throws up different results in each believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
            They are both slightly different in the way that you search the indexes, in theory they should be identical, but the same search throws up different results in each believe it or not.
            But you don't need a sub to search BNA.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

My goals remain the same - trying to keep up with it all!

I had got pretty much as far back as I could what with maternal pedigree collapse and paternal Iris/Scottish ancestry, I'd had my website up and running for years and apart from regular revamping, it and this site needed less input so .. I.. started .. exploring DNA in 2015 .. and now am suddenly very busy trying to keep up with recording my matches and those of my managed kits and learning about chromosome painting. (best thing I did there was to get my half aunt tested - she has matches on GEDcom who match on ancestry ....... and we are now in touch)

A big resolution last year was to get off the computer and meet like minded people in the flesh so I went to RootsTech, joined a local U3A group and am going off to the SoG next week as my birthday treat to me, as well as trying to decide which lectures/workshops to sign up for at FamilyTreeLive in April.

P.S. Your site is looking good now.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi all,

Your site is great Paul.

Since having my son (11 years ago!) I have been too busy for any real research but have decided this is the year that I will properly let myself do more. That starts with writing up what I have (your website is a good start as the biographies are kind of what I have in mind). I have bought a copy of My Family History - the 10 generation record book - which I have started to fill in and am going to concentrate on each person and write up what I have / know about them, rather than plow ahead and just list all the names I know. It seems a good tactic.

I also want to understand DNA more. I have done the test, my mother has and so has my father in law. But I need to get on top of my old research first.

Finally, I have promised myself that I want to get to some real-life genealogy things. It's very tricky as I have no child care and my husband works away a lot. But I need to be more diligent at seeing what is on and try my hardest to make it work!
                :D Charney Jo

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Caroline, it was in need of a bit of love and affection really!

DNA Genealogy is really addictive, I first did the Autosomal test with Ancestry and back end of last year did a Y test as well, you never know what it might bring!

Look forward to catching up with you at Family Tree Live

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  My goals remain the same - trying to keep up with it all!

I had got pretty much as far back as I could what with maternal pedigree collapse and paternal Iris/Scottish ancestry, I'd had my website up and running for years and apart from regular revamping, it and this site needed less input so .. I.. started .. exploring DNA in 2015 .. and now am suddenly very busy trying to keep up with recording my matches and those of my managed kits and learning about chromosome painting. (best thing I did there was to get my half aunt tested - she has matches on GEDcom who match on ancestry ....... and we are now in touch)

A big resolution last year was to get off the computer and meet like minded people in the flesh so I went to RootsTech, joined a local U3A group and am going off to the SoG next week as my birthday treat to me, as well as trying to decide which lectures/workshops to sign up for at FamilyTreeLive in April.

P.S. Your site is looking good now.

Comment

Hi Jo,

Thank you so much for the compliments its much appreciated. There is just so much to do isn't there?

I kept putting off doing any writing for a long time, but it was the best thing I have done, to finally get things down properly recorded, it also helps to focus on. any gaps that you might for an individual. I use my own spreadsheets to record individual facts, which clearly shows where the gaps are.

DNA is wonderful, I have only really got to grips with it in the last few months or so, it can and does open lots of doors that the paper trail might not be able to, but you have to use both methods together!

I love also making Genealogy field trips, I always add a few in each year in the hope that I have both the time and finances to fulfil them!

I think its good to set yourself goals or targets, it helps me to maintain some kind of focus anyway.

Good luck with your research

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                    Hi all,

Your site is great Paul.

Since having my son (11 years ago!) I have been too busy for any real research but have decided this is the year that I will properly let myself do more. That starts with writing up what I have (your website is a good start as the biographies are kind of what I have in mind). I have bought a copy of My Family History - the 10 generation record book - which I have started to fill in and am going to concentrate on each person and write up what I have / know about them, rather than plow ahead and just list all the names I know. It seems a good tactic.

I also want to understand DNA more. I have done the test, my mother has and so has my father in law. But I need to get on top of my old research first.

Finally, I have promised myself that I want to get to some real-life genealogy things. It's very tricky as I have no child care and my husband works away a lot. But I need to be more diligent at seeing what is on and try my hardest to make it work!

Comment

Well you certainly inspired me to start 'writing up' my family tree. Just need to get some pages done and then can learn to do menus!
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

i think the biggest 1 for me has to be to get 1 of my sons interested in it all so i have someone to pass all research and docsuments/photos etc onto. the eldest is like "they are all dead so whats the point" (not much hope there). the middle one is doing GCSE history and has taken abit of interest in war medals (possible chance here) and the youngest has been doing about my family at school and has been asking questions (so again hope here).

next i think it will have to be to find my Dad's Dad's army records (possibly at cost as dont seem to be having much luck online free), i know what he was in as a whole but not what reg/platoon etc. i have his medals and a few photos but that is it.

lastly i would like to get all my certs up to date and try and get copies of as many as i can (preferably free).
                        **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

I need to get back on the task.. I have a few trees, some concentrating on families that went to the USA, others on my DNA side and the combined tree of my husbands and my tree... plus hobby trees... family names/cluster trees...

though I did meet with a distant cousin last year and it was lovely. So much to do and so little time to do it in!!
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Amy, thanks for sharing your goals. Trying to get youngsters interested is not easy, believe me! Try experimenting with different angles, I find my kids were more interested in physical objects, such as great grandads war medals, physical things they can see and touch. You can then introduce extra bits, print off a medal card, then Battalion diaries etc and build up a picture for them. Or you could try the technology angle, or suggest DNA, they might have an interest in that as it’s a relatively new technology. Or sometimes, they just never get the Genealogy bug sadly......

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                            i think the biggest 1 for me has to be to get 1 of my sons interested in it all so i have someone to pass all research and docsuments/photos etc onto. the eldest is like "they are all dead so whats the point" (not much hope there). the middle one is doing GCSE history and has taken abit of interest in war medals (possible chance here) and the youngest has been doing about my family at school and has been asking questions (so again hope here).

next i think it will have to be to find my Dad's Dad's army records (possibly at cost as dont seem to be having much luck online free), i know what he was in as a whole but not what reg/platoon etc. i have his medals and a few photos but that is it.

lastly i would like to get all my certs up to date and try and get copies of as many as i can (preferably free).

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              I need to get back on the task.. I have a few trees, some concentrating on families that went to the USA, others on my DNA side and the combined tree of my husbands and my tree... plus hobby trees... family names/cluster trees...

though I did meet with a distant cousin last year and it was lovely. So much to do and so little time to do it in!!

There’s never enough time! That’s why I like goals and targets to try and help me to focus, but small bite size chunks helps, rather than trying to undertake a massive task which just ends being put off

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                There’s never enough time! That’s why I like goals and targets to try and help me to focus, but small bite size chunks helps, rather than trying to undertake a massive task which just ends being put off
                                That's one way to look at it I guess. Though I have renewed my Ancestry and have been putting much more effort in to my DNA tree.
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  That's one way to look at it I guess. Though I have renewed my Ancestry and have been putting much more effort in to my DNA tree.
                                  I have had lots of fun and loads of success with my DNA the last couple of years, plus I also had a real shock with it as well!!

Comment

My main goal at the moment is to try and work out how someone according to our DNA is a likely 1st -2nd cousin when we can find no matching names. The only connection we can find is that his grandparents lived in the same town as my grandparents and parents.
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Oooo-errr, Chrissie! I have some like that too, although nowhere near as closely related, just coming from the same small place. They used to call it the wrong side of the blanket didn't they. A more recent term I've heard in genealogy is a 'non paternal event'.

Did the time period include any war time years?
                                      Anne
                                      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 19-01-20, 14:26.

Comment

Could it be a NPE Chrissie?

Comment

Working...
                                        X