Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military help

hi,
    please can anyone advise how i find out more info linked to my paternal Grandads military life. I know he signed up to the Royal Army Service Corps in 1939 as a dispatch rider, and i have his medals in a box. However, i dont know what regiment/platoon etc he was involved with, i havent managed to find anything on ancestry relating to his time etc, nor any idea where he was based. I have some photos of him that were taken in italy, but other than that i'm at a total loss as to where to start looking.

This has only come about my son has started his GCSE hiistory course and they are doing about the wars and he asked me if any of the immediate family had served in them. So i got the "box of treasures" down and i have record cards and docs, photos and medals for my mum's dad and as above for my dads dad.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

you will probably have to send for them
    Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

My grandad’s medals are long lost and I never actually saw them close up as they were in a glass case on the wall but I think my cousin told me the man’s name, regiment and service number are carved into the side. Have you looked at the milled edges?
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-01-20, 19:59.

Comment

Unfortunately, WW2 medals aren't named
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ah, I didn’t know that. My Grandad’s were WW1.

Comment

my mum's dads medals from ww2 have been engraved but my dads dads aren't.
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi there, would any one be able to tell me what regiment this badge would be linked to. My relative in was in ww1 I believe and has this badge as in that the cross is similar but doesn't have the backing just the cross.
              Thank you for any help
              Attached Files
              www.treamer.tribalpages.com
              interested in treamer, trimmer, downing, lake, spruhen/spruhan

Comment

the badge has The Border Regiment embossed on it
                A quick google search reveals there is o lot of information out there
                Brian
                avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Hi Brian
                  Thank you for that, I've had a closer look and it could be the church lads brigade. The image is just the cross with a crown sitting at the top, a bit more like this one,
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have put the images here in case people cannot open word documents.
                    medal1.JPG
                    medal3.JPG
                    medal2.JPG
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-12-20, 19:05.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

thank you, you're very kind

Comment

Working...
                      X