Genealogy postcards on ebay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy postcards on ebay.

Has anyone ever had any success finding things that relate to their research interests on ebay? I often browse the postcard listings for names or places in my tree and sometimes I stumble across things that I wish could be re-united with their 'families' Here's an example that I saw today. Wouldn't you be thrilled to find something like this for your ancestors? I'm so tempted to buy it and try and trace its rightful owners.

Has anyone else ever found any gems?
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Not ebay, but in 2008 an auction house sold a medal awarded to my granddaughter's 5x great grandfather John Morum in 1836 by the Royal Humane Society for rescuing a child from a privy in London. It sold for £290.

I've been able to give a photo of someone as a boy taken in the 1920s to his widow and daughter.

Comment

I have never looked on Ebay, maybe I should, but do have loads of my own photos that I have no idea who they are.

that one is a great photo, you feel it could be matchable to someone.

My gr grandfather made carts like that - I would love to find more about what he made.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I'm going to search for that name on Ancestry. What sort of date do you think it was?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

He is easily findable on ancestry
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Ooh! I'll see if anyone is researching him and might be interested

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              Not ebay, but in 2008 an auction house sold a medal awarded to my granddaughter's 5x great grandfather John Morum in 1836 by the Royal Humane Society for rescuing a child from a privy in London. It sold for £290.

I've been able to give a photo of someone as a boy taken in the 1920s to his widow and daughter.
              How did you find out about the medal, Jill?

Comment

I often just put the area in, usually Leicester, but I picked one up of Newark where my rellies were; it had this message

''...if you come tonight bring Lady as we have got a nice rat in the wire trap for her and then she can stop till Sat. Love from...''
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Ew, that sounds a bit grizzly!

Comment

I know, can't remember the last time I sent a card, but it was usually having a great time , weather is....
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I used to buy old Postcards have a few, some have been written on, and I did find the family of one, but they weren't interested in it, even though I said they could have it for free.

Comment

I can't imagine being 'not interested' in something like that. Nowt so strange as folk

Comment

its a Photo of a Soldier in a Bearskin from The Northumberland Fusiliers, its addressed to a Miss Lancelot, in Golders Green, I wont print the rest of the address.
                          Message is How do you like this Card hope you and ?? cannot read that word, are very well, much love from Aunt Jinnie???
                          dated 24 Feb 1915
                          It was a while ago I tried maybe somebody in the family now would like it.

Comment

I also found this one, which says on the back 'Having lots of fun and so are you judging from the picture on the other side, Love from Mabel' It's addressed to Miss Goodall in Halifax. I found the couple that it related to via a bit of Ancestry searching and contacted someone who had them in their tree but I didn't get any response.

Martha Ann and Percy and Oh look as if they have been written on by hand but the xxx looks printed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                              How did you find out about the medal, Jill?
                              Good old Google!

Comment

I need to do more googling. There's not enough days in the week for all these things.

I messaged a few people on Ancestry about the postcard. I had one reply which said 'Thanks, I've added the picture to my tree' ! I'm so naive sometimes, it never occurred to me that they would just lift the picture to use in their tree.

Comment

See my FTF Magazine article about my Granny's postcards https://ftfmagazine.lewcock.net/ftfm...rd-collection/

I have one of the Sutcliffe of Whitby photographs of a herring girl with a net. Her name was on the back and I contacted a relative on Genes Reunited. It turned out she emigrated to Australia.

Anne

Comment

Gardengirl some people do have a cheek I always ask the person if its okay to use photos.

Comment

I had forgetten until now that someone contacted my from Australia as he had a postcard and birthday card sent to someone on my tree (on the distant fringes of both my tree and south London) but we got caught up in other things as he had spotted we had a DNA match an most of our correspondence was spent trying to work out the link, we failed, and I never got to see the postcard.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        See my FTF Magazine article about my Granny's postcards https://ftfmagazine.lewcock.net/ftfm...rd-collection/

I have one of the Sutcliffe of Whitby photographs of a herring girl with a net. Her name was on the back and I contacted a relative on Genes Reunited. It turned out she emigrated to Australia.

Anne
                                        Thank you for posting the link - I was just trying to remember who it was who wrote about postcards, this saves me looking!!
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X