Genealogy postcards on ebay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    Has anyone ever had any success finding things that relate to their research interests on ebay? I often browse the postcard listings for names or places in my tree and sometimes I stumble across things that I wish could be re-united with their 'families' Here's an example that I saw today.
    Has anyone else ever found any gems?
    I look every so often but get frustrated when I search for de Fraine as my great x2 grandfather was a postcard and book publisher so it is rarely actually my family. :D

But I just found a very old picture of my brother - I'll not be buying it.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      See my FTF Magazine article about my Granny's postcards https://ftfmagazine.lewcock.net/ftfm...rd-collection/

I have one of the Sutcliffe of Whitby photographs of a herring girl with a net. Her name was on the back and I contacted a relative on Genes Reunited. It turned out she emigrated to Australia.

Anne
      Great article, Anne, Thank you for posting the link. It reminded me to go back and look through my granny's postcard collection from the same era. I did go through them many years ago but I have much more family information now so I might be able to make more sense of some of them. As you say, they are a great insight into social history, aren't they?
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

In those days there were very few telephones and most people communicated by post. The postal service was very good, even in rural areas, with two deliveries each day, so many "ordinary" folk sent a postcard for message reasons. Many households wouldn't have had writing paper & envelopes, PCs were readily available in shops and I think it was cheaper to send a postcard rather than a letter. I've seen many with simple messages e.g "arriving tomorrow, Tuesday," "many thanks for parcel which arrived safely" etc.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It was a good system in those days! I don't think it would work very well now so thank goodness for the internet and mobile phones.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Has anyone ever had any success finding things that relate to their research interests on ebay? I often browse the postcard listings for names or places in my tree and sometimes I stumble across things that I wish could be re-united with their 'families' Here's an example that I saw today. Wouldn't you be thrilled to find something like this for your ancestors? I'm so tempted to buy it and try and trace its rightful owners.

Has anyone else ever found any gems?
            I have a similar postcard amongst old family photo's. The boy/man in question is standing outside Nash's grocers with a bicycle, so without the actual name being on the back you may assume that that person would possibly be a Nash. However the back is written to brother Samuel from Charles, which relates to grocers assistant Charles Carden, brother of GGrandfather Samuel. I have uploaded the photo to Ancestry so may be picked up by descendants.

One of the kindest contacts I received was from a lady who owned the property of ancestors from the early 1800's. She found me via a post I either wrote on here or rootschat in relation to the family. She kindly sent me a photo of ancient graffiti from one of the sons and an invitation to visit. It was a lovely gesture which unfortunately I haven't been able to take up due to distance and circumstances.

On ebay I have found some tokens related to my 4xG.Grandfather's tobacco business in Glasgow c.1795.
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.
              I've just found a publicity postcard for a composer/musician in the music halls from the 1910/20 era. He's only some sort of cousin but very interesting none the less.
              Cath.

Comment

I have music hall ancestors, too, Cath. Did you search for the name or place? There are so many options you could spend weeks just searching ebay!

Have you looked in the papers, btw? I have found some great write-ups and reviews for my music hall ancestors.

Comment

I haven't looked for my English ancestors for a while but frequently check German websites for help with my mum's side.

I haven't found any photos of people, but have found a few of streets they lived in (which were bombed, so are no longer there) and there are a lot of postcards of bakeries and konditorei's, which list the proprietors name, but I haven't found one that belonged to my great grandfather …. yet!
                  :D Charney Jo

Comment

.... yet! :o

Comment

.... yet! :o
                      Always hopeful! :D
                      :D Charney Jo

Comment

I just googled post cards for sale on ebay then followed the banner for people,then musicians, then put his name in the search box and there he was!

He was a composer of songs rather that an artiste but sadly in his hey day he signed all his songs and royalties over to an agent,(apparently he was very drunk at the time) leading to a breakdown and he never wrote or played another note. He worked a lot with Florrie Forde but even she couldn't persuade him to play another note. Because of the Florrie Forde connection there's a lot of his material in the National Archives of Australia.
                        Last edited by Cath RJ; 08-01-20, 15:02.
                        Cath.

Comment

That's a sad story but a very lucky ebay find for you

Comment

I have this one on my tree as my great grandfather built it!

Scan1_001.jpg

Never thought to look up the owners, I really don't know who is in the picture I would like to think it was my grandfather and his brother, must try and get a date for it.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

That’s a super picture, Carolyn. I would definitely try and find the vehicle owners. Somebody somewhere might have the same photo and be able to identify the boys.

Comment

found a couple of listings for the company around 1900, but as yest can't see anything. I am sure it is my grandfather....
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have about 40 postcards taken by a photographer relative and his daughter, date wise they are c1900 to 1940ish. A few have odd notes scribbled on them with names, though none are my relatives it's nice to try and trace something about them as they met my relatives, if only for a studio sitting or as their wedding photographer.

I uploaded a fair number to my flickr, "Gracie" is a favourite, wrongly listed as taken by "Coulson" when the photographer is actually Goulson it was bought for less than £3 inc postage from a seller in Florida.

P 0126 card Gracie by Glen Jones, on Flickr
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I bet that makes a very interesting collection. Lucky you to have a photographer amongst your ancestors.

Comment

I bet that makes a very interesting collection. Lucky you to have a photographer amongst your ancestors.
                                      The same flickr album also has a couple of photographs of a velum document connected to a land sale concerning a member of the Goulson family. It's from the late 1700's, I saw it listed years ago on an American auction site for over £600 though I bought it from ebay about 3 or four years ago for a little over £20, about the same time I found a couple of indentures for another family member which are both 150 years old. Another one was a hotelier & mineral water manufacturer so I've got a few bottles bearing his name, mostly they cost around £5 each but a dealer is trying to sell some on ebay right now and asking four times that as they are "rare".
                                      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 21-01-20, 22:34.
                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                      X