Gloucestershire record - Dennis O'Callaghan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elaine
    thank you so much this goes with the sketchy information i have and it will help me in my research
    i had already filled out the form to get a copy of the death cert and was waiting for any responses on here

brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Sad information but pleased it helps with your research. Wondered if we might be able to help find the sons mentioned if you haven't already.
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine
        i only vague information that he had 3 or 4 children and i would be grateful for any information received
        trying to get record without dates and places is not easy especially from overseas
        Brian
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
          carolyn
          thank you so much, i have extracted them and will study/decipher them to see if/how they fit into my puzzle
          Brian
          A lot to read, browsed a bit and can see family is mentioned, not sure if he is your Dennis though, the name seems reasonably common. Will delete tomorrow.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn
            i have read a little as well and i see he mentions his wife and 2 children and brother timothy and that ties in a bit with my research , but as you say it is a common name and when it swaps from OCallaghan to Callaghan and Denis to Dennis at the drop of a hat makes it difficult ,but that's part of the fun in researching
            thanking you for your assistance and please remember i am open to any more suggestion or ideas
            Brian

Comment

if it is him, then maybe he stayed and his wife followed him over with the children. I assume that you have been unable to find any census, I think we looked at some records before for the son Denis? I refound the 1861 census.

the three children are born in Wales. so maybe there are more children? the records do state his home town, I don't know my way around irish records, I know people on here often find good free records.

I am off out now, but worth noting down any key names/places and dates on here. and all spellings!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

IMG_20200107_0001.jpgCarolyn
                all i have is
                1841 census Dennis Callaghan at Pautglus Monmouthshire Trevethan possible boarding house 30 yrs old laborour from Ireland, no family with him
                1842 newspaper article re murder trail, acquitted but i am unable to read the last of the newspaper article
                Sept 1842 then there is the Petition for Dennis Callaghan sentenced to 10 yrs for manslaughter in Bristol while there is one reference to Denis in Van Deemend Land it is unclear if he was ever sent i think there is also a reference to a brother Timothy but i know nothing about him
                1843 emergency admission for Ellen 22 yrs old to Westminster Infirmary for birth of Anne (hard to decipher name) both discharged cured 7 days later
                his occupation on his sons (also Denis) death cert is coal miner
                1861 census 120 Main Road Aberystruth Dennis O'Callagan from Ireland labourer at iron works /wife Ellen 38/ from Ireland / son Tim 13 scholar from Monmouthshire / son Dennis 9 scholar from Monmouthshire / daughter Mary 4 from Monmouthshire
                from other documents i gather they were both illiterate signing by making their mark x
                then there is in june 1861 the accident in Cwm Celyn furnace it also 2 of his sons died in accidents at the same works previously, if his 2 sons died prior to june 1861 then he must have had more than 2 boys or this a different person
                i have added above a photo from approx 1932 of Dennis O'Callaghan and his wife Ellen Collins
                Brian
                Last edited by 2weis; 07-01-20, 13:08. Reason: add photo

Comment

on one of the pages it says that he has never left his town of Clonakilty, County Cork in 20 years, so not sure that this ties in with the 1841 census.

denis.JPG

but throughout the report it says that they have come for the harvest, almost as if this is fairly common, so maybe they failed to say he was over in the previous year.

I don't know if there are records to be searched in that part of Ireland
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 14:45.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

another page from his brother Daniel Callaghan:

says that he was sent to VDL and that he has written to him, and he arrived on 18th January 1843

this document appears to be dated 1846
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 15:01.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Here is the record of him sailing:
                      Community driven database of convicts brought to Australia between 1787 and 1867.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

here is the convict record:
                        ANZ_TASCONVICTRECS_CON33-1-36_00045.jpg
                        I don't think he is your man in Wales - but maybe wrong - I think it says wife Mary, but am struggling to read it.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I think this is the family 1851 as Ocalligan

Blaina Road, Aberystruth, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Dennis Ocalligan Head Mar 40 Laborer Ireland
                          Ellen Ocalligan Wife 38 Ireland
                          Mike Ocalligan Son 6 1845 Monmouthshire, Wales
                          Jerry Ocalligan Son Unmarried Male 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales
                          Timothy Ocalligan Son 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales
                          Elaine

Comment

wow that is a good find, what a really badly written census page. it does look like them.

So man in aus is not the right one
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Going by the address it's looking good, births are driving me nuts!
                              Elaine

Comment

1861 transcription is

Dennis C Callagan 49
                                Ellen Callagan 38
                                Tim Callagan 13
                                Dennis Callagan 9
                                Mary Callagan 4

and then there must be the 2 sons that were killed per newspaper report.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

there was this thread before
                                  https://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/121321-marriage-cert-Bedwelty
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 21:44.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I have no record of siblings or parent so i was unaware of Timothy and Daniel
                                    the reference to Clonakilty i have not read yet (lot of pages and not easy to read)
                                    i have read that page with the Van Deemans address and only got confused more
                                    The 51 census with different children is interesting, it gives the possibilities of Tim and Mike dying in the iron works
                                    their so Dennis arrived in Australia 1877 aboard Hydaspes ( i have a copy)
                                    the marriage cert (1867 11a 53) was some one else (denis to eliza mccarthy)
                                    It is so easy to get confused and lost in this pursuit but i will continue
                                    Brian

Comment

What about this 1871?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Near Rising Sun, Aberystruth, Bedwellty, Monmouthshire
                                      James Donovan 50 Haulier Ireland
                                      Ellen Donovan 50 Ireland
                                      Mary A Callaghan 15 Blaina

The only marriage that caught my eye was to Ellen Collings Bedwelty

AMENDED just looked and found the info on the tree, left as I thought it might help

just wanted to note one birth to throw in the mix too

Jeremiah Timothy Callaghan Q3 1848 Abergavenny MMN Collins
                                      Elaine

Comment

liking those records, I had seen the 1871 census.

the only other birth I had found was
                                        CALLINGHAM, TIMOTHY RHEARDEEN
                                        GRO Reference: 1846 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 26 Page 60

Abergavenny is the reg district for aberystruth till 1861

I like yours more!
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

I looked at that one too
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X