Gloucestershire record - Dennis O'Callaghan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloucestershire record - Dennis O'Callaghan

i would like to get a copy of a criminal record held by Gloustershire Council
    it is for a Dennis Callaghan (O'Callaghan) from 05/08/1842 ref number is Q/Gc5/7
    i tried to register but it just seems to hard if your not in the area
    If any one can help with a death cert 1861 vol 11a page 48 in Abergavenny for same person that would be a big help
    Thanks in advance
    Brian
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-03-20, 10:36.
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

I can't see a burial relating to the 1861 death, have checked newspapers too and drawn a blank. The actual death cert is only available if you buy it.

Comment

Ancestry hold the Glos prison records with images - both a Dennis Callaghan in aug/sep 1842:

Transported 10 years - is that the one?

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Jill
        Thank you I will look into how to do that
        Caroline
        Thank you but I cant look at any records without signing up, which I may do
        I have do record of my Denis in Australia only his son, also Denis
        As my Denis died in 1861 (I think) in Abergavenny I doubt if it is him unless he returned after his sentence finished
        Brian
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I have sent you a PM.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I notice the record actually states his address is Cork, did they send them to Gloucester for trial?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

just found a petition document on FMP, it says he had just arrived at Bristol Docks the night before from Ireland, and has a wife and 2 children
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

this is the link, hadn't realised it was so long, and have not found out if he was eventually acquitted. will download later if you need it

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

He now has the ancestry images which are the same as the Glos ones, so he can work if it is "his" Dennis.
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    He now has the ancestry images which are the same as the Glos ones, so he can work if it is "his" Dennis.
                    I couldn't see that one on Ancestry, it is not the Gloucester records seems to be HO

First name(s) Dennis
                    Last name Callaghan
                    Birth year -
                    Year 1842
                    Date ? ? 1842
                    Court -
                    Place Gloucester
                    Sentence type 10 years
                    Ship name Justitia
                    Source Home Office: Criminal Petitions: Series Ii
                    Series HO18
                    Piece number 86
                    Year range 1842-1842
                    Record set England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935
                    Category Institutions & organisations
                    Subcategory Prison Registers
                    Collections from Great Britain, UK None
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-01-20, 11:21.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      I couldn't see that one on Ancestry, it is not the Gloucester records seems to be HO
                      I was just letting everyone know that he has the images now, in case they were going to look for him/offer to send/transcribe. What you found matches the person on the ancestry images. Bristol was/is part of Gloucestershire assizes.
                      Caroline

Comment

Caroline
                        Have just sent you a PM
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

First name(s)  Dennis
                          Last name Callaghan
                          Birth year -
                          Year 1842
                          Date ? ? 1842
                          Court -
                          Place Gloucester
                          Sentence type 10 years
                          Ship name Justitia
                          Source Home Office: Criminal Petitions: Series Ii
                          Series HO18
                          Piece number 86
                          Year range 1842-1842
                          Record set England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935
                          Category Institutions & organisations
                          Subcategory Prison Registers
                          Collections from Great Britain, UK None
                          cbcarolyn
                          I am unable to read the link you provided without a subscription
                          I will look into getting a trial sub and see what i can work out with that
                          Thank you for your help
                          Brian

Comment

The story is all over the papers as a high profile case
                            Kentish Mercury 20 August 1842
                            Kentish Mercury 20 August 1842.JPG

The papers seem to say he was not convicted, yet the records state he was sent to Woolwich awaiting transportation.

Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser 27 August 1842.JPG
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

This is the beginning of the document, did Caroline send it? There are many more pages to follow, I can send more if it is of interest.

TNA_CCC_HO18_086_00294.jpg

TNA_CCC_HO18_086_00295.jpg
                              TNA_CCC_HO18_086_00296.jpg
                              TNA_CCC_HO18_086_00297.jpg
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn
                                yes i was able to view these documents and i will study them tomorrow
                                if you can send me more i would appreciate it
                                how many is there
                                brian

Comment

there are 31 in total!

I have added them to this album, let me know when you have extracted them all and I will delete them
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                                    Caroline
                                    Have just sent you a PM
                                    Brian
                                    Received. Sorry about the delay in replying here, I have been away from the computer (at Walking Netball).
                                    Caroline

Comment

Just come across something in the Welsh newspapers

BLAINA. FATAL ACCIDENT —On Wednesday the 22nd instant, an accident occurred at these works, which resulted in the death of a man, named Dennis O'Callaghan, aged 46 years...

I used to live in Abergavenny and thought it's a bit further out into the valley but looking at Welsh deaths putting in Dennis *allaghan, there is only one death registered that I can see in 1861.

CALLAGHAN, DENNIS 46
                                      GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 48
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

carolyn
                                        thank you so much, i have extracted them and will study/decipher them to see if/how they fit into my puzzle
                                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                                        X